I'd like to know more about the History of the Fila Brasileiro

Amstaffer

I know there are a few Fila owners on the boards (Renee and Fila slave) and I was wondering if they and others would like to share their information on this very interesting breed.

Some questions I have are:
What is the current state of the breed? (breeding, popularity by area etc..)
What are some facts you don't often find on the websites?
What makes them different than the other mastiff breeds?
What are the pros and cons to owning them?

If you have any questions on them, post them here.

Thanks
:popcorn:

Currently, the Fila is still a rare breed in the U.S., and most of us would prefer to keep it that way as we've learned from the ordeals of other breeds like the APBT. If people are that afraid of a smallish dog that is dog aggressive, they certainly don't need to be exposed to a very large, extremely strong, very defensive guardian! And I shudder to think what could happen if the average thug caught on to the capabilities of the Fila.

There is a great deal of bickering among the different camps of Fila breeding. Working lines, show lines, Camping, etc. There is a great deal of corruption in the Fila show world in Brazil. My research and that of a friend who has made several trips to Brazil in search of good dogs has found that many of the show Filas are 'certified' with a wink and a nod - and appropriate funds - at the shows by the judges without much, if any, real verifiable pedigrees. There has also been some diluting of the Fila with other molossers, particularly the Bull Mastiff, to dilute the ojeriza to make the show Fila easier to handle in the show ring.

The Fila, in Brazil, has also fallen victim to overbreeding, which in turn has led to dilution of the bloodlines to meet the demand for Fila puppies there. To find the true Fila, go to the heart of Minas Gerais, to the old fazendas where they are still bred in the old ways and herd the semi-wild cattle and hunt jaguar and wild boar much as they have for over 400 years.

This is probably sounding like an old story to my APBT friends!

Amstaffer

How are they health wise? Are the breeders in Southern Brazil hard to find? Are there different looks (like German Rotts vs American Rotts etc..)

The real, farm-bred working lines have far fewer health problems than the show lines - mainly because they are farm bred by old hands who have been breeding their lines for years for utility.

It is getting more and more difficult to get really good dogs out of Minas Gerais, as the old fazendas are becoming scarcer and the old Fila keepers are becoming more and more wary of releasing their dogs to the outside world. They are very particular about not letting go of the white Filas with brindle markings.

Filas are often nearsighted, which really isn't much of a health issue when you consider their highly acute other senses. We are seeing hip problems start to become a consideration with the influx of the show lines and indiscriminate breeding brought on by their popularity in their native country.

And then there are the breeders - particularly in the U.S. - who are enamored of size and are breeding oversized dogs that lose speed and agility and have the issues with hips and joints.

We also have those (typically the ones who are breeding for size as well) who tout the dogs for their ferocity, which puts them in the wrong hands.

Any of this sounding familiar? ;)

There are two distinct "looks," although the true, old-style Fila breeder doesn't breed for the look, which is far down the list, but for health, temperament, instincts, fearlessness, etc. One camp pushes the more Bull Mastiff type look with a squarer head; the other prefers a more "houndy" appearance. Shiva, whose father was an imported show dog, is of the mastiff type; Kharma, who is pure working lines on both sides, has the hound appearance.

The real, farm-bred working lines have far fewer health problems than the show lines - mainly because they are farm bred by old hands who have been breeding their lines for years for utility.

It is getting more and more difficult to get really good dogs out of Minas Gerais, as the old fazendas are becoming scarcer and the old Fila keepers are becoming more and more wary of releasing their dogs to the outside world. They are very particular about not letting go of the white Filas with brindle markings.

Filas are often nearsighted, which really isn't much of a health issue when you consider their highly acute other senses. We are seeing hip problems start to become a consideration with the influx of the show lines and indiscriminate breeding brought on by their popularity in their native country.

And then there are the breeders - particularly in the U.S. - who are enamored of size and are breeding oversized dogs that lose speed and agility and have the issues with hips and joints.

We also have those (typically the ones who are breeding for size as well) who tout the dogs for their ferocity, which puts them in the wrong hands.

Any of this sounding familiar? ;)

There are two distinct "looks," although the true, old-style Fila breeder doesn't breed for the look, which is far down the list, but for health, temperament, instincts, fearlessness, etc. One camp pushes the more Bull Mastiff type look with a squarer head; the other prefers a more "houndy" appearance. Shiva, whose father was an imported show dog, is of the mastiff type; Kharma, who is pure working lines on both sides, has the hound appearance.
Renee- do you know any stories of any historic Fila in particular? Or any historic Fila owner/breeder/dogman you feel was an especially founding or maintaining asset to the breed? Suggested readings?

This is one of the best places to start. http://www.mindspring.com/~anableps/fila.html

I met the woman responsible for this site when she came through on her way to take one of her bitches to Wyoming to be bred. She was an amazing source of information and had translated a great deal of what was available from the German. There isn't a lot out there that I've found that is "real" in English - most of it is pretty generic - mainly because so much of this breed is either lost in the mists of time and the remoteness of its birthplace, or it pure conjecture and speculation.

There have even been theories that the great and fearsome hound of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's story, The Hound of the Baskervilles was inspired by the Filas, who were used by slavers to retrieve runaway "property."

And you thought dog fighting was an unsavory history! ;)

Brattina88

I love the pics renee! your grrls are gorgeous!!
I didn't know that filas hunt jaguar :eek:

showpug

They are such beautiful girls. :hail:

Are you still planning on breeding them? Boy you would REALLY have your hands full then, with a whole herd of fila monsters running around!:yikes:

If I had my way, Kharma would be the only one bred. Charley has other plans, though, so I imagine he will go ahead with a litter of pups from Shiva.

Bimmer and I may have to find a place to hide, lol!

Members online