How to break up a dogfight...

~Tucker&Me~

How do you think is the safest most effective way?
I know my dog wouldn't be attacking or even fighting back, so if a strange dog ran up to him, how would you split it up?

~Tucker

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I know that they have those breaker sticks available, but I don't think that people carry them around all the time, lol. I'd also like to know...

I honestly don't know.

I was at the Beach with a friend of mine and her dog (another staffie) thought that it would be a good idea to get a little rough with Bailey.

Bailey was around 13 months at the time and her dog is fully grown (male).

So she told her dog to behave himself and we carried on with our walk.

So then Boss (her dog) thinks that he will go for round 2 with Bailey, to this Bailey turned around Teeth baring and hackles up.

I rushed over (while my friend panicked) and just as i got there Bailey flew for the other dog.

I just took them both by the collar and held them apart until she caught up and took hold of her dog.
We put them both back on thier leashes and carried on with the walk.

I dread to think how i would have seperated them had they have actually gotten hold of each other though!!

Luckily both the dogs involved are dogs that i know.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
I always heard throw water on them or sound of something loud like a horn or a gun. But all dogs are different and those things may not even phase some dogs.

AusCatDogs_4Ever said:
I heard (read in a book actually) that you were suppose to grab your dog by the back legs, and quickly swing them around so you won't get bit. But I don't know if that's right. :confused:
I have never heard of doing that............it sounds so extreme.

I have heard that with the "Bull breed" and similar breeds (fighting dogs) you should insert your finger into thier bottom.
Not sure if this is true, although i should really find out b/c i have a Staffie so would be useful to know just incase.
Not that the thought of EVER putting my finger up Baileys Butt appeals to me very much.

pitbulliest

a gun? I sure hope most people don't just carry around guns with them...:confused:

The water idea is pretty effective, or a pop can filled with nails to make a loud noise....never grab the dogs though...I've seen people end up with over 50 stitches from their own dog when they tried doing that!

Take a leash, throw it over the dogs head, and PULL. Don't worry about hurting the dog, just PULL as hard as you can.

AusCatDogs_4Ever said:
I heard (read in a book actually) that you were suppose to grab your dog by the back legs, and quickly swing them around so you won't get bit. But I don't know if that's right. :confused:
You're absolutely right. This is the method that what we teach in aggression/growl classes. It's the only method that you don't need equipment for so will work best in most unexpected situations. It sounds easier than it is though. Once 2 dogs decide "it's on", finding the back legs and grabbing them can be a difficult task. I have used this method with 2 very large, capable breeds and although I'm 4'9 and under 100 lbs. I did manage to stop the fight long enough for the owner to remove their dog, the one being attacked. It's also important to pull the aggressor off rather than the dog on the recieving end of the attack, and was able to do so without suffering a redirected bite. If you try to pull the dog who's being attacked away first, more often than not it causes the aggressor to up the fight and you can cause severe tearing wounds to the lesser dog.
If you're lucky enough to be carrying anything to startle the dogs, shaker cans, water, then I would of course try that first. The reason for the wheel barrel method is that it is the safest (not foolproof by any means) way to protect yourself and we've all heard of people getting bitten trying to pull two
collars apart.

pup-man

Permanent Troll
The fastest method would be grabbing the hind legs of your dogs (the part where the leg meets the body)... grab both legs and pull them backwards (dragging their front legs). This is the best and fastest method to use.

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
pitbulliest said:
a gun? I sure hope most people don't just carry around guns with them...:confused:

The water idea is pretty effective, or a pop can filled with nails to make a loud noise....never grab the dogs though...I've seen people end up with over 50 stitches from their own dog when they tried doing that!
I said other things then gun. Thats only an example if the fight is happening in your yard. MOST people aroun here anyways have some sort of gun kept for safety.

AusCatDogs_4Ever said:
That's good to know! I wasn't sure if it was right or not. It sounded a little rough.
It looks a little rough too, but when in the moment the alternative is down right scarey!:eek:

J's crew

dr2little said:
You're absolutely right. This is the method that what we teach in aggression/growl classes. It's the only method that you don't need equipment for so will work best in most unexpected situations. It sounds easier than it is though. Once 2 dogs decide "it's on", finding the back legs and grabbing them can be a difficult task. I have used this method with 2 very large, capable breeds and although I'm 4'9 and under 100 lbs. I did manage to stop the fight long enough for the owner to remove their dog, the one being attacked. It's also important to pull the aggressor off rather than the dog on the recieving end of the attack, and was able to do so without suffering a redirected bite. If you try to pull the dog who's being attacked away first, more often than not it causes the aggressor to up the fight and you can cause severe tearing wounds to the lesser dog.
If you're lucky enough to be carrying anything to startle the dogs, shaker cans, water, then I would of course try that first. The reason for the wheel barrel method is that it is the safest (not foolproof by any means) way to protect yourself and we've all heard of people getting bitten trying to pull two
collars apart.
I tried to break up a fight using this same method. It did not work whatsoever. The dogs that were fighting were fighting to kill. This may work some of the time but be prepared for the chance it will not work.

One of the dogs involved in the fight was latched onto the other dogs face and would not let go. I am not sure why she even did. I think she just got to the point of exhaustion.

I have done some reading and also read about sticking a finger up the rear. Not my idea of fun but if all else fails, what can you do?

Kase

It's good to know that method, I've never heard of it before. Casey doesn't go up to dogs and pick a fight but when dogs act agressively towards her she holds her ground and fights back. So far she's fought with an Akita and German shepherd, with the Akita I was trying to put her behind me out of the way but it didn't really work out so the man hit his dog with a big stick to get him of. The owner of the shepherd just grabbed hold of his dog and took him away.

Brattina88

Just NEVER grab one or both dogs by the collar. That's an excellent way to get bitten!

J's crew said:
I tried to break up a fight using this same method. It did not work whatsoever. The dogs that were fighting were fighting to kill. This may work some of the time but be prepared for the chance it will not work.
I have done some reading and also read about sticking a finger up the rear. Not my idea of fun but if all else fails, what can you do?
Maybe you didn't do it right :confused: The wheel barrow meathod - lifting the back legs up, and pulling them backwards / away from eachother works because it throws both dogs off balance and away from eachother.

And I don't know anyone that brave, or that coordinated. Gross

bubbatd

A was alone when a GS attacked my golden Rufus....I had to grab the GS's tail , pull and twist it.... not smart, but he released Rufus to get me. He wasn't people aggressive,so just grabbed my arm and I let go.... Rufus took off and I was lucky with only a bruised arm. I really don't know what I could do today..... I don't think Chip would hold his own and defend himself .... it would be up to me, and he comes first.

J's crew said:

One of the dogs involved in the fight was latched onto the other dogs face and would not let go. I am not sure why she even did. I think she just got to the point of exhaustion.

Sometimes it does not work, or is just plain too dangerous, that's why the caveat in my post. I thought it a bit too much to post the finger up the butt thing, but yes this is another "tool" in every trainer arsenal if it comes to that.

Also, this is in no way a recipe for breaking up every fight. Many bites occur while owners are trying to break up a fight, every situation is different and must be treated with that in mind.

bubbatd said:
A was alone when a GS attacked my golden Rufus....I had to grab the GS's tail , pull and twist it.... not smart, but he released Rufus to get me. He wasn't people aggressive,so just grabbed my arm and I let go.... Rufus took off and I was lucky with only a bruised arm. I really don't know what I could do today..... I don't think Chip would hold his own and defend himself .... it would be up to me, and he comes first.
Such a good example of what happens in the real life situation. I know, Sophie has been attacked and I reacted completely differently than the way I would recommend to a client. Like you, I just jumped in and made it stop. I could easily have been bitten but in the heat of it I just wasn't able to calculate the risk, I just wanted to protect my dog....NOW!
While I do care about all dogs, it was and is much easier to "properly" break up a fight when my own dog is not being attacked.

Members online

No members online now.