Walking/Running

Locust

Hello, first of all I am new to the boards and would like to say hi before bombarding you all with questions.

The question I have for you is in reference to running with my dogs. However, let me start with walking.

Our oldest dog is a very hyper dog. Most of the hyper activity has been addressed, although the one that most closely deals with the question at hand is when we walk her. She walks us really. She pulls until her front legs are off the ground and she is walking on her hind legs and choking on the leash. We have tried a choke collar and the result is no different, she just makes horrible weazing noises while doing the same thing.

Now, due to the high level of energy this dog has I like to run her. She loves it and its a great way for her to burn some of her energy. The problem isnt necessarily her trying to lead me on the run, as a mile or so puts an end to that. Its her random darting around that makes this really difficult. She will just randomly dart left or right depending on what she sees with complete disregard to where the runners legs are. A few times she has swiftly darted into my legs and thrown me into a full blown combat roll.

My question is in regards to training her to walk/run at a reasonable distance from the person doing the walking/running with her and teaching her to keep slack in the leash while doing so. Preferably about two feet to the left and equal to the pace, not ahead or behind.

The reward or NILF method of training seems difficult to go about with walking and running. Choke collars dont seem to do the trick, and constantly tugging on her collar to pull her back doesnt seem the way to go. Can someone please tell me what method should be used for our pup, as we have a new puppy and want to teach them both proper running and walking habits and we havent by far perfected it with our first yet.

She is about two years old (pound puppy), and is said to be a lab/retriever mix. She is a bit small for that though and we suspect that she has a bit of terrier in her. Please tell me its not to late to get her into a good habit.

Thanks in advance.

BTW. The dog in our gallery isnt the one I'm talking about in this post, those are all of our new puppy and I mainly posted his pictures to get feedback on what others thought the breed mix may be (another pound puppy). We think possibly Mastiff or German Shepherd.
http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=2880

Last edited:

Saje

Island dweller
Welcome. It's not too late to teach her good manners. :) That's really all I'm going to say about that. There are people on this site that know a lot more about training than I do.

When people respond can they also make suggestions on how to teach your dog how to run next to you on your bike? I really love bike riding and want to take my dog for runs with me but I know he'd probably get us killed.

Thought I'd tag that in there. :)

joce

All I can really think of is to start over with heal. Make sure the choker is on right and when the dog darts around make the noise with the collar. I used to always let them pull to and finally someone told me what to do! If they start to walk ahed, snap the other direction. Make them be aware of where you are going to go. I'm sure if you went to a trainer they could work with you a lot on it. I know some dogs are really thick headed about healing. I still can't figure out how to get the corgi to stop pulling, the choker doesn't work quite right with her short little self!

Saje, have you seen the things they make to go on your bike that is supposed to keep them off to the side? I think it was in a doctors fosters adn smith catalog. I just never thought about it because I'm always falling of the stupid thing without the dogs!

Edit***here is a link to extra releases for the bike thing, but I didn't find the actual thing itself. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...k=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=0&Nty=1

scob89

DILLIGAF?
I have one of those for my bike and I don't think it work's very well. The Greman Sheperd that I was fostering at the time pulled the rear tire out from underneth me making me fall to the ground and ruined my bike. I would try a pinch collar it worked great no the same GDS.

joce

I figured my dogs would wreck the bike too or i'd run them over somehow :eek:

Saje

Island dweller
Hmmm. Doesn't anybody ride with their dogs? I've seen people do it. Ideally I'd like to do it with both my dogs but I can't even see it happening with one so far.

I think the only really safe(?) way to do it is in an area, like a bike trail, where there isn't any car traffic and have well trained dogs that heel reliably with the bike. Not much chance I'll ever be riding with my crew. :rolleyes:

I've found a regular chest-type halter works wonders with leash-lungers and other chronic pullers. The dog doesn't choke and you've got a lot more control. Your dog senses that control and just responds better.

Saje

Island dweller
I think once I have my dogs moving on a loose leash reliably I'll use my harness-style thingy and give it a try - just in the driveway first. :) I have these harness that are anti-pull. They have been approved by the SPCA and work well but only while they are on. :)

Locust, as for your question, I've made this my current, newest website: http://www.clickerlessons.com/lessons.html and it might help you.

Saje

bonster

Disappointed :(
I agreed with Renee about the chest harness - I had a very similar probelm - my GSD-X just "doesn't get it" with a regular collar at all and seems fearless of pulling really hard against it and will rear up on hind legs against the collar if something catches her eye --- but walks perfectly in her harness.
I've found now that I can alternate with a regular collar - and things are improving on that, too....

Another trick I've used is hold a piece of ham or treat in a fist as we walk along - she knew it was there and would walk nicely wondering how to open my hand... helped get her used to the right position but not a long term solution! and worked I think as she is really good with food/treats etc - never snatches always waits patiently working out how to get what she wants...

It may also be an idea if you're starting over to use a new word instead of "heel" if its become meaningless ??

Cyclying with doggie? I'm going to try it... one day soon!!.... and have heard of a product (you should find it with a web search) called the "springer dog bike exerciser" which might be worth a look. Can't remember but think this one (or one like it) has a safety-thingy which releases the dog if needed (eg if he goes the other side of a tree!)
The UK web site is http://www.springer-uk.com/

Saje

Island dweller
Bonster, you should also try that link I posted right above your message. I'm going through a whole process with my dog, he's a bull-head :) and I really think it might help you too.

bonster

Disappointed :(
Thanks - I'll give it a try. I've seen advice before about stopping whenever your dog pulls -- trouble with Bonnie is that she'll realise she's "doing wrong" and in fact often return and sit... waiting to go on - but will then get overtaken with the excitement of new sights + smells which will sometimes cause her to pull again (she missed puppyhood in a pound). She looks like she's trying to please so hard - just gets excited, and I hate to see her straining against her neck -- which she is pretty fearless of to the point where she has ended up panting and coughing on a few occasions!
The harness has been an 'instant fix' and I can walk for miles without problem -- and I often use it to 'wear her out' a bit before sessions on a normal collar --- and this is improving things - I think she's gradually learning that the 'right place' to be is by my left leg! I'll go through the site + tips though, thanks.

Locust

Thanks for all the feedback. I think im going to try that chest harness while attempting an entirely new heel training approach from scratch.

Do you think once the walking situation is addressed the running issue will fall in on its own? The problem when running really isnt pulling for the most part, she just makes me lengthen my stride and it works well for both of us. Its when she gets distracted and starts darting through my legs thats the issue there.

Has anyone ever had to do specialized "heel" training for running with there dogs or heard of anyone who has?

I definitely want to give her an improvised and focused heel training now, however I don't want to have to wait until she has mastered walking before running her regularly, but dont want to continue running her the way I have been and further engrain the idea that how she is doing it is alright.

Saje

Island dweller
bonster said:
Thanks - I'll give it a try. I've seen advice before about stopping whenever your dog pulls -- trouble with Bonnie is that she'll realise she's "doing wrong" and in fact often return and sit... waiting to go on - but will then get overtaken with the excitement of new sights + smells which will sometimes cause her to pull again (she missed puppyhood in a pound). She looks like she's trying to please so hard - just gets excited, and I hate to see her straining against her neck -- which she is pretty fearless of to the point where she has ended up panting and coughing on a few occasions!
The harness has been an 'instant fix' and I can walk for miles without problem -- and I often use it to 'wear her out' a bit before sessions on a normal collar --- and this is improving things - I think she's gradually learning that the 'right place' to be is by my left leg! I'll go through the site + tips though, thanks.
On that same site, if you go back to "home," you can see that there is a section on "heeling" which is meant to help keep a dogs attention when there are distractions. Could help...

Members online