tags/licensing question

T

tessa_s212

I am not yet 18 years old. I will be on May 1, however I want to get my dog's tags/license switched onto my name instead of my mother's. (Just another process to insure that if ever there came a time that my mother tried to claim my dog, that I could have proof of all the money I've spent on her and that she is mine despite what the AKC papers say.)

Even if I am not yet 18, could I license my dogs under my name legally? Also, I want to get her microchipped. Can I have my name and information on the chip even though I am not yet 18?

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
I'm not sure, I think it would depend on the licensing rules in your city/county.

And I assume you could register a microchip under your name - there shouldn't be any problem with that, unless the vet or organization administering the chip refuses... but I can't foresee that happening.

mrose_s

BusterLove
I think it would depend on the area, but I did get Buster microchipped here under my name before I turned 18.

T

tessa_s212

I would also have the AKC papers changed to your name .
I might be able to get that done with Cocoa, but my sister won't. She's paying for all her own dogs from now on, and wants to get them licensed and chipped under her name for further proof of ownership. She was given advice that supposedly so long as your name is on the license, you pay for it, and even have microchipped, the AKC papers aren't a big deal. So if it comes down a fight between her and my mom, she can show proof of ownership through money and licensing.

And just for Cocoa's benefit, I'd really like to get her microchipped as well. We just need to know if we can do these things if we are under 18. (Can't change AKC papers until we are 18 anyway. Anyone under the age of 18 must have an adult cosign with them. We want full ownership, not cosign.)

Fran27

Here for the license they don't seem to keep track of last year's names so you can just fill the new one with the name you want.

Which reminds me I totally forgot to renew the boys' license this year... why can't we just do it online, bleh.

T

tessa_s212

I realize I could, but would it hold up legally?

My trainers are going to change the tag/license into my and my sister's name for our dogs name anyway. But I've been told it will not hold up legally until we are 18.. which is coming up soon anyway. I think the same should be for microchipping, so I do believe I'm going to get Cocoa one.

G

Gatep

i'm not sure but i think it depends on the the place. just look at the place near you and then ask them what will be the right things to do.

Members online

No members online now.