Which is Better?

Adrienne

Gunnar my GSD pup is pretty much fed a straight raw diet and only gets kibble when I forget to defrost or don't have anything on hand for him. Neva my APBT will not eat raw and I would rather not force her to do it since she is six already. I had been feeding her and Gunnar Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul and both of them seem to really enjoy it and do well on it. Today at the feedstore I noticed that they had Canidae and I have read on here and other forums that it is a good quality food. It is also for all life stages which is a plus since Neva will be considered a senior soon and Gunnar is still a pup but soon to be a "working" dog. Now I can get the CSFTPLS 35lb bag for 28.99 or the Canidae 40lb bag for 29.99. Obviously I see which is cheaper but ingredient wise CSFTPLS still looks better to me. Anyone have any input on this?

Here are CSFTPLS ingredients:
Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, turkey meal, whole grain brown rice, whole grain white rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, potatoes, cracked pearled barley, millet, duck, salmon, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, potassium chloride, salt, choline chloride, dried chicory root, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, menadione sodium bisulfite (source of vitamin K activity), riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

Here are Canidae's ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, White Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols, Rosemary Extract), Herring Meal, Flax Seed, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Linoleic Acid, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Yeast Culture, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory root), Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Dried Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement.

So ingredient wise and healthy for my dogs wise, which is a better food? I did pick up a bag of the Canidae to try out but would like to know if I should just stick with the CSFTPLS.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
canidae is the better quality food, hands down. it's made from human grade ingredients and has a higher meat content than the CS.

the CS is made to look good on paper, but it still doesn't get close to the quality standard of canidae (and other high-end foods).

Adrienne

Thanks so much Mordy, that is great to know especially since the Canidae is a better value anyways. So glad I noticed the sign today and bought a bag!

Staff online

Members online