Gonna need some help

Zoom

Twin 2.0
We had a pregnant rescue Airedale come in today. I need all the help I can get! I think she's about a month along; the funny thing is that the sire of the litter is also being fostered with us. He's a nice boy, a little old, but nice.

And few questions I don't have the answers to: I don't know how long she's going to be staying with us, I don't know if she's had any x-rays for the puppies and the why or why not. I don't know why she wasn't spayed and I don't know why they didn't do an emergency spay. That's all the rescue organization right there, I just take care of them while they're here.

Ok, first off...feeding. Should she be on puppy food totally yet or not? I didn't feed her the normal stuff (Purina EN) because it's very low in fat. Instead, I raided the food room and ended up giving her 2 1/2 cups of Pro Plan Chicken and Rice with 1/4 cup of Eukanuba puppy mixed in. I think she's about 60 odd pounds, but that was an eyeball guess. Should I up the amounts or what? I have no say in the type of foods the store orders, so if I want to see her on something like Innova or Solid Gold, it would be out of my own pocket.

Also, what should I be looking for or doing while she's staying with us? Her stomach is starting to get big and feel solid and her udders are starting to show.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, I would definitly get her on puppy food. Her food should be gradually increased so that by the time she is due (or the time you think she might be due) she is eating 25-30% more. You'll probably have to seperate it into smaller meals. Then if you still have her after she has whelped, her food intake will need to keep increasing while she is lactating. The bigger the nursing puppies get, the more nutrition she will need to keep up with their needs and hers.
Hope this helps!! :)

lakotasong

Sled Dog Guardian
I would put her on a high-quality adult performance food. I don't get why people are so sucked in by the "puppy formula" nonsense for pregnant bitches and pups. I've never fed puppy food a day in my life and never will.

S

savethebulliedbreeds

I agree with sweetbassets. I would put her on a high quality puppy food. Most of us on here would agree with that.

bubbatd

I think the main thing is to give her more milk products and needed vitamins...that's why they recommend the puppy chow. Mordy would help here. Poor Momma !!! Won't Airdale rescue foster her ???

Dani

Ninja Dog
I think puppy food is suggested because it generally has more protein than the adult food.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I believe they are looking for a foster home, but they are in short supply to begin with and the rescue has been inundated with dogs as of late. A couple of dogs that were supposed to get new homes fell through, so one is back with us and the other back at his foster.

Ok, need more puppy food and seperate into about three feedings. Got it. I'll drop in tomorrow to really visit her (I didn't have time to do much more than a quickie today) and see if I can get ahold of the rescue rep. She's a good lady.

bubbatd

Such a shame that both Mom and Dad were given up !!!! PEOPLE!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

summitview said:
I would put her on a high-quality adult performance food. I don't get why people are so sucked in by the "puppy formula" nonsense for pregnant bitches and pups. I've never fed puppy food a day in my life and never will.
This is what I've learned as well in all of the pertinent workshops and seminars. It's amazing the damage (structurally) that puppy food can do to large breed pups as well. From what I understand, puppy food is all about marketing and totally unnecessary for pups or adults.

High quality adult dog food is what the experts recommend.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
A good quality adult food labeled as suitable "for all lifestages" is fine.

There is really no need for a puppy formula, neither in pregnant nor nursing bitches and not in puppies either.

The only situation that's different is when feeding large breed puppies, some of the specific "large breed puppy" formulas out there are definitely well thought out and have a lot of research behind them - for example Eagle Pack's.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
bubbatd said:
Such a shame that both Mom and Dad were given up !!!! PEOPLE!!! Grrrrrrrrr!!!!

From what I understand, this is a bit of an "oops" litter that occured after the dogs were brought to rescue. I think. Again, really sketchy on the details.

I cringe as I type this, because I know the 'right' answer, but again, Purina and my work have a very close tie and so that's really all we're allowed to carry food-wise...is Pro Plan good enough? Otherwise it's Iams; I can't afford to buy the packets of Three Dog Bakery entrees we also sell.

ProPlan IMO is better than IAMS. All my dogs eat ProPlan performance adult food. I dont really get into the supposidely "higher quality" food. I use what works for my dogs.

Members online

No members online now.