Things I never knew!

SpringerLover

Apparently my dog has SA because she's dominant over me.

:popcorn:

Or that's what the highly respected and regarded retriever trainer said in his mini-seminar tonight... :p

SpringerLover

He wasn't advocating for alpha rolls. Now THAT is just nonsense! I just need to.. hit the ground a lot with my "heeling stick" and be big and intimidating and all. Ya know, make her scared of me and submissive. Then she'll be just fine!

Oh, and our relationship will be better for it, too!

SpringerLover

Yup, because that's what I did.

Oh, and if your male dog looks you in the eye, and THEN lifts his leg to pee, you are in so much trouble. He is going to break every time at the next test/trial.

If he makes eye contact with you before peeing, he'd better squat and pee like a girl!

Or you aren't doing your job correctly.

Lauren was also there, I'm sure she'll have some great ones to share, too! :)

crazedACD

Oh, and if your male dog looks you in the eye, and THEN lifts his leg to pee, you are in so much trouble. He is going to break every time at the next test/trial.

If he makes eye contact with you before peeing, he'd better squat and pee like a girl!
Maybe you should reverse that to teach him your dominance...look him in the eye and lift your leg. Only makes sense!

Paige

Let it be
Bandit makes eye contact with me when he pees all the time. UHH OHH DOMIANCE

except he is the most submissive dog ever.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Uh yeah, if you ever plan on breeding your dog, make sure you aren't in the room. That is a DIRECT VIOLATION OF YOUR DOMINANCE!!!

And you'll know you are on the right path to making them submissive if they transfer from lifting their leg to peeing like a girl.

ALSO, you know when you come home and your dog is all happy to see you? Yeah, NOT! It's actually re-establishing your relationship heirarchy, so when you act happy back, he views you are a PLAYFRIEND and NOT a leader. Obviously. You all suck at training.

:lol-sign: I'm sure I'll remember more in the morning.

And we were at the training because Megan knew someone who was training there. The mini-seminar was just...a bonus. Or something.

Additionally, dogs should never go to dog parks because it is such a confusing place to be (regarding heirarchy) and they would be much happier staying home in their own pack.

SpringerLover

I don't even know what else, we walked away for a bit... :)

The other thing that stuck out is that the dog he chose to work, didn't work for him and his excuse is that the dog is too soft. Everyone seemed to find that acceptable?

It was interesting in that he much preferred using social pressure over e-collar pressure and he felt the correction should definitely be associated with you.

I swear we learned some good things too. I think...? :)

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
It sounds like you learned what NOT to do/think... his poor demo dog must have zero confidence or self esteem, being constantly challenged for "dominance". :( I hate seeing a demo dog who is shut down, or just performing like a robot. It says a lot about the trainer's lack of skill, especially when they make excuses.

I have to agree that I'd rather utilize social pressure over e-collars. I use social pressure/body language in dog daycare and in necessary situations. I've seen way too many dogs who weren't appropriate for e-collars becoming completely confused and afraid of the whole world. I'd rather my dog knows where a correction is coming from and learn when to practice avoidance than avoid everything or inadvertently create fear issues that the dog associates with the shock. I find shock collars very cowardly. But I also don't use corrections in general.

That comment about SA is preposterous. That's a deeply insecure and stressed dog. Fozz had SA because he just couldn't cope with being alone. How would he explain him being fine if he was with another dog or any other person? I guess he's assuming that the SA is due to considering you a resource, so he obviously doesn't understand SA. A truly "dominant" dog would be like, "Gooood the human's gone... now to take over the world!"

RD

Are you dead yet?
Yup, because that's what I did.

Or you aren't doing your job correctly.

Lauren was also there, I'm sure she'll have some great ones to share, too! :)
Well ****. My female dog does this. I must be failing twice as hard.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
I'm do dominant...!! I win!!!

My dog likes to relieve herself behind bushes, she's so under my thumb! I just thought she was shy :p

K

Kaydee

Sophie and I have established the optimal master/dog relationship. With a meanigful glance from her I will hit the ground and pee myself, then feed her yummies and scratch her tummy...hey works for us...

LauraLeigh

Sophie and I have established the optimal master/dog relationship. With a meanigful glance from her I will hit the ground and pee myself, then feed her yummies and scratch her tummy...hey works for us...
OMG....

ROFLMAO!!!!

I just spit my smoothie all over the table at Tim Hortons and LOL'd

The older couple beside me likely think I'm high... I'm on my way to work and on my bike... They likely think I *knew* those biker people are crazy!!!!

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
I have to agree that I'd rather utilize social pressure over e-collars. I use social pressure/body language in dog daycare and in necessary situations. I've seen way too many dogs who weren't appropriate for e-collars becoming completely confused and afraid of the whole world. I'd rather my dog knows where a correction is coming from and learn when to practice avoidance than avoid everything or inadvertently create fear issues that the dog associates with the shock. I find shock collars very cowardly. But I also don't use corrections in general.
This guy very much wanted the dogs to know where the ecollar correction was coming from. If you were set up at the line and decided your dog needed buzzing you should stop and square up with them so that they knew it was coming from you. Cause dominance.

Paige

Let it be
The word dominance and the phrase "Show 'em who's boss/alpha!" have really ruined animal training. I'm sure the words DO have their place in explaining certain things but they are way too overused.

Members online