Inexpensive cameras that produce nice, sharp images?

T

tessa_s212

Dustin and I are looking into selling our current camera (Sony GC1??) and some other things in order to invest in a better camera.

My sister as a Canon Powershot 1100 something I think. It takes nice enough pictures
Ex:

I'm looking into Canon Powershots, but I do NOT want one that requires AA batteries. I DO like that our current camera has that built in rechargeable battery. Decent videos would be preferred, but I'm most concerned with the picture quality.

Would a Canon Powershot SD1200 IS be good enough? Anyone have any experience with these? Do they produce nice, sharp stand still images. (I know a good camera that has really good action shots is out of my price range, so I just want to focus on a camera that will produce very nice, sharp stand stills.) OR high end of our price range: Canon PowerShot SD780IS 12.1 MP

or if you have a better suggestion, please do! I know nothing about cameras!

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
I have Canon powershot sd1100 & love it. I still use it even tho i have the d60. It's a great camera. after using a d60 It's crazy slow. lol

Took this with it.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
I have an older Powershot and do love it - even the basic models are great for a P&S so I think you'll be safe either way. Have you googled camera reviews? That might be a good start.

T

tessa_s212

I have Canon powershot sd1100 & love it. I still use it even tho i have the d60. It's a great camera. after using a d60 It's crazy slow. lol
Does that come with the lithium ion rechargeable battery? My sister's requries AA batteries, and I think sh'e's got the 1100 too. I just will NOT agreee to anything that requires AA batteries. I hate having to buy batteries.

We've searched and read reviews on lots, and think we've found one that we like, and already have memory card picked out. So if you guys think as long as it is a powershot and has 10mp, then it should be good for us.. I think we're going to go ahead and get it! :)

Dekka

Just try me..
If you find a camera you like.. why not just get rechargable batteries? Some camera's (like ours) came with 2 rechargable AAs and a little charger.

2pups622

Soon to Be 4 Pups!!
Does that come with the lithium ion rechargeable battery? My sister's requries AA batteries, and I think sh'e's got the 1100 too. I just will NOT agreee to anything that requires AA batteries. I hate having to buy batteries.

We've searched and read reviews on lots, and think we've found one that we like, and already have memory card picked out. So if you guys think as long as it is a powershot and has 10mp, then it should be good for us.. I think we're going to go ahead and get it! :)
No it has the little Square battery that comes with the camera & charger. I had a camera that needed batteries also & it was very annoying.

This battery is good to, i charge it only once in a while.

If you find a camera you like.. why not just get rechargable batteries? Some camera's (like ours) came with 2 rechargable AAs and a little charger.
^^^ That.

Tess, you don't have to keep buying batteries.

We use rechargable NiMh (Nickel Metal Hydride) AAs in a couple of digital cameras and a few older .mp3 players (iRiver ... great sound!). We use this stuff regularly, and we haven't bought any batteries in years!!

A couple years ago they came out with hybrid NiMh AAs ... they hold a charge for months on storage. (The older ones used to lose a bit of charge on storing ...not the hybrids. This is one area where "hybrid vigor" really is true. :D ) Two hybrid brands are Sanyo Enloop and Ray-O-Vac Hybrid ... we use both and both with a one-hour charger ... works great.

I actually prefer removable batteries. ALL rechargeable batteries have a finite lifespan of charge/discharge cycles ... it takes a few years with the newer technology ones, but eventually they all stop accepting a charge. Built-in batteries are either expensive to replace (if they can be replaced) or make for disposable electronics (if they're sealed-in and non-replaceable). Disposable electronics are not only expensive but also bad for the environment. Another advantage is you can always carry spare charged batteries ... great for traveling as no need to wait to get to a place where you can recharge a built-in battery.

T

tessa_s212

Our current camera has a built in battery. Cannot be removed. I have noticed a shorter charge hold recently than when compared to months ago. CHarged through USB. However, the one we just ordered (got input from Dustin and we picked one we liked) the battery does come out to be charged. If it needs to be replaced eventually, that'll be okay. I've just had lots of bad experiences with cameras that need AA batteries, and the camera dying with only 30-40 minutes of use.

T

tessa_s212

That's the problem with our current camera. Does not work well in low light at all. We get grainy pictures all the time. And there really isn't much solving that unless we get a camera that will specifically take good pictures in low lighting. GMIL has heavy drapes over all the windows, plus shades.. no natural light in this house. We made sure we found a camera that had reviews that specifically stated that it took good pictures in low light with little or no grainy-ness. It went a little over our price range, but it means quality photos AND video (so we won't have the urge or want for a cam cord to record Mason either, since it has HD video). It was actually a good compromise, because I always told Dustin a camcord was too expensive and not necessary, but now we can get good videos of Mason to send to MIL, and the quality of the pictures we send to her will be better too. The Canon Powershot SD 9-something is what we got. I definitely felt apprehensive that it cost more than we wanted to spend exactly, but DUstin is big believer in buying quality - it'll be worth the money in the long run then buying something cheap you won't be happy with. I've got things to sell, and already had some saved, and tax return too,.. shouldn't actually cost us anything out of pocket, which will be nice. We didn't give each other any Christmas present, so finally, Merry Christmas to us! :p

Thank you all for any suggestions and help! I take a lot of pictures, even if I'm not very good at it:p, maybe I'll be hanging around herein this subforum a bit more now. :D

what did you go with?

I am looking to replace my camera also... I also dont like batteries, even the rechargeable ones never seem to last.

The camera I have now i had to replace the battery once (luckily in St. Thomas= cheap electronics) but that was less annoying then AA's still.

T

tessa_s212

Canon Powershot SD940 IS - it had all 5 star reviews on the website, and I googled it and also found really good reviews. HD video, 12MP? and 4x zoom and 28 mm lens

InLimbo87

That's a lot of bread. Sure you could've found a camera to suit your needs for quite a bit less in the classifieds or on ebay.

That's a lot of bread. Sure you could've found a camera to suit your needs for quite a bit less in the classifieds or on ebay.
^^^ Agreed.

That Canon is quite expensive ... not an inexpensive camera. Tess, did you get a once-in-a-blue-moon deal on it or something? Only asking b/c you specifically said you were looking for an inexpensive camera.

Agree with IL87 that the classifieds and EBay are good sources. Only caveat is that EBay requires caution lately ... have heard stories that a lot of non-working electronics are coming out of there lately.

One excellent --and often overlooked -- source is refurbished. As long as it's factory refurbished and not from "Joe's Refurb Shop" or something. Factory refurbs are often amazingly inexpensive ... and it's NOT true that you are buying "somebody else's problem".

A TON of electronics end up returned simply because the new owners couldn't figure them out ... and there's not a thing wrong with them. Stores still have to return them to the manufacturers ... who in turn completely inspect them, make any necessary repairs (if needed at all), then sell them as refurbs at a huge discount. another advantage to refurbs is that each one is thoroughly tested before it leaves the factory ... which can NOT be said of brand new products ... in those manufacturers test only a small sample and the whole lot is deemed OK.

darkchild16

We are Home.
that is alot of money for a p&s.

I jsut spent 109 on a brand new nikon coolpix, has a rechargable battery, only 10 mp but takes nice pictures, wont snap unless everyone is smiling, great video. I love this little camera. Plus it is TINY, it fits in my pocket perfectly.

InLimbo87

Another thing to realize is that many get far too hung up on the megapixel war to really realize how many pixels one truly needs. Unless you plan on printing larger than 12 x 18" prints, even an older quality Point-and-shoot with 5 megapixels and a decent sensor/lens can get produce sharp prints.

My D80 is "only" 10.2 megapixels as well ;)

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
My lil sony doesnt have many megapixels, doesnt bother me since I dont print images. I just wanted something small and light to take pictures for facebook or print out small pictures lol im not looking to have a giant blown up picture of romeo anywhere

I was only $150 I believe.. with "only" 12 megapixels. but most of the pictures of romeo you see are taken with that camera.

here we are..
Amazon.com: Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W290 12.1 MP Digital Camera with 5x Optical Zoom and Super Steady Shot Image Stabilization (Black): Electronics

used for only $144 :) new @ 175

T

tessa_s212

It went over our price range - we originally wanted something as close as possible to $150, but when we were reading the reviews and comparing cameras, it just seemed worth the extra bit of money. We save so much every month on diapers, feminine products, paper products, etc already, and because this is pretty much our Christmas/Valentines day present, I allowed us to splurge. $222 wasn't a bad deal, especially to know that you are its first owner (so no hidden flaws/broken/mishandling) and have the warranty on it.

We still had money gifts from when Mason was first born, we'd been saving our change, we've got some money from selling other things, and been saving money ever since we canceled Dustin's cell phone when the 2 year contract was up, so it won't break the bank. Though, definitely no more unnecessary purchases for a looong time. But worth it!

I'm very excited to get it!!! It should be here by Wednesday, maybe Thursday.:D:D:D

Members online

No members online now.