questions for breeders (appendix to my dog's bad bum thread)

Dekka

Just try me..
Soooo

When do you breed your bitch?

When they are bleeding, when they are pretty much done bleeding and have that light pinkish discharge, or after all discharge is done?

If you do none of the above please state when you do breed.

(oh and your kennel name would be helpful...as this may be 'official' ammo)

Oh yes and what breed (cause apparently some breeds like sighthounds have faster heats because they are 'fitter')

R

RedyreRottweilers

I do not go by anything except progesterone testing.

In this day and age, and IMO, there is no need to go to the dog or ship semen until the time is right. This also cuts down radically on the numbers of breedings necessary to get a bitch in whelp.

Redyre Rottweilers

HoundedByHounds

Oh, it's *you*
I send her on the 5th-7th day after first color show. The dog knows best and the nose is seldom wrong. I don't get charged by the breeding so I want her covered multiple days. When she stops accepting the dog she is sent home.

Breed: Beagles

bubbatd

Depends on the female . Usually if you touch their rear area and they flag their tail to the side , they're ready . I had one female brought in to breed nothing happened ...so as her owner took her to the car , Rufus nailed her ! It was the 18th day ! Either she or the owner was screwed up ( whoops ! not literally ! )

Dekka

Just try me..
thanx so far guys. Red pretend you can't do progesterone testing. Which of the three would you pick?

This is not due to how I breed, but do to the 'attack' on me. This is relevant to 'chapter 4' of my other thread.

YodelDogs

Soooo

When do you breed your bitch?

It is not unusual for Basenji bitches to be in season for 3-6 weeks so there is no way to know what day she will be fertile by looking at a calendar. The girls are also incredibly clean and it can be a challenge to catch that first day of the season. I wait until the bitch is "flagging" her tail to the side when touched just above the tail. That always does it.

Dekka

Just try me..
What if you have a girl who flags at anytime when you tickle her? (lol I do have one of those)

YodelDogs

What if you have a girl who flags at anytime when you tickle her? (lol I do have one of those)
You don't tickle or scratch them. I take my three middle fingers and press down very slightly on the back just above the tail. When a female is ready to breed, she will move her tail to one side or the other and sort of hold it there, if only for a few seconds. This is called flagging. Most females will flag but some girls are very obvious, some more subtle.

Dekka

Just try me..
I know what flagging is. Some dogs NEVER flag without a male present. (had one of those) Some people will poke the side of the dogs rear to elicit flagging. I have one that will flag at anytime if you touch the side of her bum. She however does not flag to back pressure near the tail. (she will however run over-to the boys in crates-present her bum and flag like mad)

So you are saying that if a dog does not flag you will not breed at all during that heat?

Is that a test you would use on dogs at a trial to see if they were in heat? If the dog flags when pressed on the back near the base of the tail then dog is in heat, if no flagging then not in heat?

YodelDogs

So you are saying that if a dog does not flag you will not breed at all during that heat?
Yes, I would breed the bitch. Flagging can help determine the days to breed but it does not affect fertility in any way.

Is that a test you would use on dogs at a trial to see if they were in heat?
No. At lure coursing trials, all animals must go through a check in prior to being able to run. Bitches are gently swiped with a tissue to see if there is any discharge indicating that she could be in season.

Hope this helps :)

Dekka

Just try me..
Yes, I would breed the bitch. Flagging can help determine the days to breed but it does not affect fertility in any way.

No. At lure coursing trials, all animals must go through a check in prior to being able to run. Bitches are gently swiped with a tissue to see if there is any discharge indicating that she could be in season.

Hope this helps :)
Not really.

I know, my Bounce gets wiped every time we go to race. I know that.

Did you read the other thread?

I am asking when breeders breed if you had to pick on discharge. (or flagging is fine, but then would you use it for a test at a 'generic trial'

The trial in the other thread is NOT a sighthound trial. They had no protocol. I suggested the Kleenex test.. but it 'apparently sighthounds have faster heats' so its only applicable to them :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have been breeding for 4 years now, I am not a newbie. These questions are significant in 'polling' breeders.

YodelDogs

Not really.

I know, my Bounce gets wiped every time we go to race. I know that.

Did you read the other thread?

I am asking when breeders breed if you had to pick on discharge. (or flagging is fine, but then would you use it for a test at a 'generic trial'
I answered the questions that were posed in this thread. This forum is simply too large and fast moving to expect people to automatically know that there are two linear threads on the same topic without clearly stating such. If you want responses to questions or comments posed in seperate threads, it would be helpful to quote or link from the other thread. Thank you.

Members online

No members online now.