New puppy

RD

Are you dead yet?
PS - exposing a puppy to rabbits at a young age does not at all guarantee that the dog will not show interest in them as livestock. Personally, I'd just supervise the pup around the rabbits.

And I'd be more concerned about prey drive than herding instinct, with animals like rabbits. A well bred working BC shouldn't have the drive to kill and eat what they chase, but they can still hurt a rabbit if they catch one.

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
I wasnt referring to you Dekka, someone else told me she would be OCD when it came to my rabbits.

My puppy was bred by a cattle ranch in Ohio.

I am kind of ignoring posts now, because I think it needs to stop. People are attacking me for what I believe. I dont think I have more experience and knowledge then people who have actually worked with BCs.

I dont think every BC has issues, and I dont believe my puppy should have issues either. I have been hand feeding her since the second day, and her aggression has stopped. She is my first BC, and I do think I am ready for it. I have been given advice from the breeder, and a few friends that own working BCs. I have been going to them with every question I have. They were unavailable when I first started freaking out. Its why I overreacted and posted this thread.

All I really want is a happy healthy puppy, which she is right now. As for the OCD thing, BCs shouldnt be OCD or be over energized. A good friend told me, if a BC was like that on a farm it would have been shot.

Her job is going to be Obedience/Rally/Agility, and when she is older and after I have found a trainer, I will start herding with her.

I am sorry if I have offended anyone with the information that has been supplied to me, or if I took something someone said the wrong way.

Diane

RD

Are you dead yet?
Diane,

Nobody is attacking you! I just think you're OBSESSING over the whole "obsessive compulsive" thing. The only OCD I worry about with my border collies is the joint issue (osteochondritis dissecans)!

This isn't directed at you, Brewer, but in general... People are so quick to label Border Collies obsessive because of their intense interest in certain things, but obsessive compulsive disorder is a serious issue and I'd say most pet BCs DO NOT have the disorder, they're just poorly behaved and have picked up outlets for their energy. You'll find that the so-called "OCD" goes away immediately once the dog gets sufficient physical and mental exercise. Most successful stockdogs shouldn't have the disorder either, they should possess self control around livestock.

I hope you aren't going into this expecting a perfect BC, Diane. Your puppy WILL be hyper at times, just expect it. If she isn't, then YAY! But if you expect her not to have energy and be difficult, you're going to be very disappointed. BC adolescents are not good dogs.

RD

Are you dead yet?
BTW, do you have a pedigree for Rush? I'm really curious to know what lines she comes from.. could you PM me? :)

lizzybeth727

She wont be OCD with the rabbits because she will be trained that they are OFF LIMITS. Its not hard to do.
I'm still genuinely interested in knowing how you have trained this, so I can help my friend with her BC. Maybe you could PM me if you don't want to continue posting on this thread.
Hmm. I think you're setting yourself up for failure if you think "every BC has issues so it's okay if mine does too".
I don't know where this is coming from, Diane never said this.

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
I dont expect a perfect BC, far from it. Its already been very hard, she has a lot of energy then I know what to do with, I have been trying to teach her to settle down. Its usually takes her 10 minutes to get the messsage, but we are working on it.

I PM you about her pedigree.

If you would like me to PM you as well about the rabbits, I can give you the method I trained Bear with. I have introduced Rush to rabbits, but I havent started training. I more so let her smell an older rabbit who is ok with dogs, and the minute she jumped or tried to bite, she got a firm smack under the nose until she was just smelling the rabbit. I also let her stand in the door way and observe the rabbits. She is too young to start serious training, but that was how I introduced her to them. She had not instinct to kill my rabbit, she just really wanted to play with something around her size. (PM me and let me know if you want more information on this -- I am not an expert, but I have had my rabbits for 8 years, and had numerous dogs around them without a problem)

I am not looking forward to her teen days, just because of all the horror stories I have heard. My first dog was really difficult, and I wish I was a bit older and more knowledgeable when I had her. I do have an idea of how I am going to deal with her training. But only time and working with her can really tell. Right now, she is a handful, mostly because she is testing the status on who is alpha, her or Bear.

Diane

lizzybeth727

If you would like me to PM you as well about the rabbits, I can give you the method I trained Bear with. I have introduced Rush to rabbits, but I havent started training. I more so let her smell an older rabbit who is ok with dogs, and the minute she jumped or tried to bite, she got a firm smack under the nose until she was just smelling the rabbit.
I don't think this will work with my friend's dog. She is very sensitive, especially to physical pain. I think she will only associate seeing a rabbit with getting hit, which will make her aggressive toward the rabbits.

Glad it's working for your dogs, though, guess they're not as sensitive?

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
Honey Bear is, but Rush isnt. Being smacked under her muzzle doesnt phase her which leaves me clueless. Before we introduced Bear to the rabbits, she understood her correction words, Gentle, No, and Stop. When she got to rough with them, she too got a smack under the muzzle. We only had to smack her twice when she was younger. As far as associating the rabbits with being hit and making the aggression worst. It depends on the dog. Bear is extremely smart and she caught on to the whole, the rabbits are off limits. She still likes to play with them, but she knows if she ever uses her mouth shes in big trouble -.-;;. I have no idea what i'd do to her for biting one of my rabbits, but she has never tried. Rush is a different dog, and requires a different method, one I am still putting into the works. I need to get to know more about her on a training scale before I will make that leap. Bear didnt get introduced to the rabbits until she was 6 months, and I think I will wait that long for Rush too.

I'm sorry the method I am using wouldnt work for your friend.

Diane

Lizmo

Water Junkie
*metls from cuteness overload* Squeeee! Lookit that cutie :D Who's her breeder? Or if you prefer to PM thats fine too :)

ETA: The video is tooooooo cute! I love it!

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Wow, she's adorable. : ) I love the tummy picture! We definitely need to see more of her, and her siblings.

I would highly discourage smacking any dog, especially a Border Collie. They are very sensitive dogs... if I were to smack my BC, ever, it would literally break his heart. Teaching a solid "leave it" and "watch me" works for me!

Bear Luv

CEO of the Candy Cult
I got her from a small working ranch in Ohio. They only have one Border collie bitch to work their cattle, and they bred her for more working puppies. They didnt own the father. I am not sure of the Ranch's name, I could ask.

I dont have any pictures of her siblings other then the ones sent to me before I went to visit them.

As for the smacking thing, being gentle with her isnt working, at all. I working on a method that will work for her, I havent found one yet.

Rush is a LOT bigger then those photos which were taken the first and second day I had her. She is loads bigger, she is growing like a weed and she hasnt been here but a little over a week!

Diane

Members online