Walking Two Dogs at the Same Time

bluezano

I have two border collie mixes. They both weigh about 30 pounds. Scout will turn 4 in December and Mina will turn 1. Mina is a little bit taller than Scout.

Ever since Mina turned 16 weeks and could safely walk around town we have all been going on walks together for about an hour each day. I have a Y leash that hooks to their collars. They both walk on my left hand side with Scout closest to me and Mina to the outside. They have been walking like this nearly every day for about six months.

About three days ago, Mina decided that she no longer wants to walk next to Scout and she will slow down and wrap her portion of the lead behind my legs and walk on my right hand side. I give the "heel" command and she will swoop back around to the outside left, in the process getting the leash caught under Scout's tail and giving her a wedgy in the process :rolleyes: Which then results in Scout stopping while I fix the leashes. This happens about six times on an hour long walk and keeps happening.

What is going on here? Mina is perfectly content to walk on the right but not on the left with Scout. Should I just get seperate leashes and have them walk on opposite sides? Any suggestions on how to keep her content with being the outside dog on the left?

P.S. Mina is a Border Collie/Husky mix, but I tell her that at this rate she would make a really crappy sled dog :D

otch1

It sounds like Mina is maturing and may want "her space", or there is now a height difference that wasn't an issue 6 mos. ago. Especially if either isn't good about keeping consistent slack in the leash which then effects her... (one pulling to the right or left slightly which will cause her to feel off balance.) It also sounds like the coupler may be long if there's enough for her to shoot around behind you and go on your right, other dog still on left. Shorten it a bit. "Heel" is just a step foward for both then sit and reward. See where they sit, where the pressure is on her collar. Is Scout leaning into her, pulling away, slightly up or slightly back, putting pressure on her neck. Where they sit should tell you something and you'll adjust the coupler from there. Unless you know they're walking shoulder to shoulder especially on turns, practice turns and figure eights before a walk. The shorter dog on the inside is going to have to learn to drop back slightly on all turns so one dog doesn't effect the other. A tab on Minas collar will make her easier to correct and guide back into place without effecting Scout. Practice your turns and correct her when she moves out of position. I have this happen a lot when there's a balance issue with clients dogs or one competing for the best spot next to mom!

bluezano

Yes, you are right otch1, the coupler is long. I wanted Mina to be able to have her space, I just didn't think that she would take such advantage of it :lol-sign:

We just practiced your suggestion in the bookstore and it appears that Scout does not want Mina to get ahead of her even a little bit. When Scout thinks Mina is getting ahead she veers at Mina to head her off and then Mina drops back and around to the right. I didn't really notice this as being the cause before. I am going to shorten Mina's leash and see if that works as you suggested.

What happens if Scout, as the shorter dog on the inside, won't drop back when turning because she thinks that Mina is getting ahead of her?

otch1

Put a leash on Scout and practice without Mina. Practice your heeling patterns, circling right and left, a little slower than you'd normally walk. Continue your circle, (you are not turning into your dog) leash in your right hand, left hand should be open palm against lead, closer to collar. Applying slight pressure back as you circle left. Take your time. Reward every 4 or 5 steps. If you are getting dizzy, your circle's too tight! Lol. After a few circles you should see dogs rear end disengage and move independantly from the front, as you tighten the circle. Once that happens, food reward immediately. Important food reward is given with left hand and that hand is off lead. Reward is fed while dog is walking. Something soft like hotdog bits so dog doesn't have to drop her head to chew. What you'll find is she feels slight pressure on lead and your left hand is there as a visual when she needs to stay back. When she is "back" there's a lot of praise and food reward. Next practice this moving foward. After some practice, attach the two dogs again and walk. As soon as Scout attempts to correct Mina, slide your left hand down lead near Scouts head. This visual should be a que to "step back". The second she does, stop dogs, both sit and both rewarded. Sounds like both dogs need to learn where heel is in order to be happier once tethered together. You got to practice in a bookstore!? Great place to walk the isles and take corners! Wish I could do that at my nearest bookstore!

bluezano

Thank you very much for the great tips. We are going to start practicing today. :hail:

P.S. I own the bookstore, so basically I do whatever I want, within reason of course!!:D

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I just taught Sawyer to heel on the right, using the command "Side" so that I can walk the new dog who is learning "heel" in the traditional spot and not get tangled. Works pretty well for me.

bluezano

Well, we went for a walk this morning and they both did much better. The shortened lead made it impossible for Mina to circle around my legs. She did circle to Scout's right a few times, but Scout corrected by going back to the right, so all in all, pretty good. Lots of praise when they were both healing together.

Zoom: I think that if this continues to be a problem with the leash getting twisted I might just have them heel on each side of me like you suggested. I was hoping to keep one hand free though in case of dog attack as quite a few people around here let their dogs run loose, but I could always just let go of the leashes. I guess for some reason in my thinking the leashes would be glued to my hands or something :rolleyes:

By the way, Zoom, I think Sawyer is beautiful. But tell him I said handsome so he doesn't get offended. :)

Members online

No members online now.