Rhodesian Ridgebacks?

Maxy24

Anyone know anything about them? We have three regulars at work (though two are owned by the same person) and I really like them. They seem to really enjoy attention but are not pushy or frantic about it like a retriever. If I talk to one of them they'll come over and lean on me for some some rubbing and if I stop they either move on or look up at me with an expression that looks like I just tore out their heart and ripped it in half because I stopped touching them. They will not pester me for more beyond MAYBE nuzzling my hand a bit, but mostly it's that heart broken look.

The young girl is very playful with the other dogs and with toys, the older boys occasionally get in the mood to wrestle, but most often with each other or their sister (big hound mix). They have not shown much interest in toys but we only have hard rubber toys so maybe not their thing. One of the boys can be a little dominant with certain other males but nothing beyond growling, hackles, and posturing. They also listen quite well when told to stop doing something.

I really like their attitude. They've got that intelligent and loyal air about them. Does anyone have any experience with them?

I'm sure they're like very other breed of dog, some are better than others. My good friends have one and he's a nice dog, but he does get frantic, and he'll listen and obey, but only after much protest :)

They're first time dog owners, and have done a good job with him or he could be worse. But they put in their time to train and get better. Overall he's a pretty well tempered dog. Playful, affectionate, great with other dogs. Not the most quiet dog in the world though.

BostonBanker

I used to house-sit for one who was about my favorite dog I ever watched. He was a little older (five or so maybe when I met him?), so well out of the puppy stage. Very chill indoors, not super obedient outdoors. They live on an insane property in the middle of nowhere; I would not have let him off leash in a lot of areas. Not that he'd bolt and be gone, but had no issues being out of my sight and not coming back until he was ready. Pretty aloof. He's quietly tolerate me petting him and playing with his fabulous ears, but I don't think he particularly enjoyed it.

The main reason I don't think I'd own one is that he was incredibly protective. I don't think that someone he didn't know would be able to get in the front door.

I do think they are probably the most physically attractive dogs that exist.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
I've admired the breed from afar for a while, and I really like them. Met one not long ago and she was very, very sweet. Roxie actually liked that dog, even though she was a girl.

So yeah, I'm basically only here cuz I'd like to know more about them too, lol :)

My SIL has owned a few. None were good off leash, they are very independent minded (more so than my coonhounds), and less obedient than my hounds. These are really the only reasons that I personally wouldn't want one. Hers were also destructive when they were young, even with a lot of exercise. That's just my experience from one owner though so maybe others are different. They are very beautiful and sweet, but protective and can be snarky with other dogs.

Stingr69

Papillon Fan
Guy two doors down had a pair. Super chill, friendly and alert. They had an electric fence so the dogs did not leave the yard. Smart from what I could tell. The kind of dogs that do not bother anybody and still protect the house. Sorry I do not have much more to add.

We have a client at work who has had three in the time I've known him. My great-aunt also had one.

I am really, really attracted to them, and I'd love to have one some day.

I spent a lot of time with my aunt's RR and two of my client's dogs who've come to daycare. I have seen genuine aloofness (not fear, just pure disinterest after an initial once over) with strangers but goofy mushball playfulness with folks they know.

The ones I've known have all been great off-leash and good with other dogs - if a little rough and rowdy from time to time.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I have a friend with one. She lives on a farm, so the dog is rarely ever on leash. I've never had issues walking into my friend's house, even when it's been quite some time since I've seen the dog. Though if I walked in with ill intent, there'd probably be a problem.

Sweetest dog. She enjoys being with her owner though - I once tried to hold her at a booth while her owner walked away and she wasn't having any of it. No fear, just that was her person and who she wanted to be with. She'd settle and stay if told.

milos_mommy

I've worked with many, they're surprisingly popular city dogs.

I really like them and would surely own one. In my experience they are protective...but more like a pet/show bred rottie or even working type Aussie than some breeds - nothing on the level of guardian breeds.

I've heard they can have some SSA, but I've never seen it. The dogs I've known, bred as city dogs, could have been watered down. They were all great with other dogs. They're more related to curs than sight hounds so ok with smaller dogs - not sure on cats.

They're stubborn. If they don't want to do something they won't. Very trainable but easily bored.

Members online

No members online now.