Is a massage an okay present for a guy?

GoingNowhere

He keeps saying he just wants a massage for Christmas. He means from me and he's just trying to be sweet so I'll shut up with my fretting about Christmas gifts, but I thought we could go get a massage together. Is that odd? I would accompany him (just selflessly wanting him to have company of course ;)).

Second question is if I found a student clinic that is half the price of a professional massage clinic for the same amount of time (and thus, I could afford a massage that would be twice as long), would it be odd to gift someone with a non-professional massage? I expect that it would not have the romantic feel of a professional place, but that might actually be less awkward, so I'm not necessarily considering that a negative. Keep in mind we are both freshly out of school and integrated into the working world (and I'm a bit tight on change), so I'm not just trying to be cheap when I can afford more. At the same time, I don't want to come off as being cheap. Does that make sense?

Input please (especially from the gentlemen on the forum [if there are any of you out there])!

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
As a woman, a couple's massage doesn't seem at all weird to me.

Can't help you with anything else. LOL

RBark

Got Floof?
If for some odd reason I told someone I wanted a massage from them personally as a Christmas gift, and they gave me a professional massage ticket, I would assume it was an extremely polite and roundabout way of rejecting my advances. :lol-sign:

I don't know who this guy is or his relationship to you, so I can't really say anything more specific than that.

amberdyan

My step-mom gets my dad a massage gift certificate every year and he loves it. I bet he would love going together. I've been to 2 different massage schools and they were both really good. Just as good as the pro ones I've been too. I think one of them was more talkative than others I've been to, but I think it's because they haven't learned to read people yet and she was nervous. I'm not big talker when I'm getting a massage- I want to bliss out, lol.

Basically, I don't think it's odd at all.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
If for some odd reason I told someone I wanted a massage from them personally as a Christmas gift, and they gave me a professional massage ticket, I would assume it was an extremely polite and roundabout way of rejecting my advances. :lol-sign:

I don't know who this guy is or his relationship to you, so I can't really say anything more specific than that.
Pretty much this. There's a WORLD of difference between a personal massage and a professional massage.

However I would love a massage for Christmas and not the personal kind lol. But from your post he's been quite specific. Wrap yourself up in a bow and get oily :p

RD

Are you dead yet?
If for some odd reason I told someone I wanted a massage from them personally as a Christmas gift, and they gave me a professional massage ticket, I would assume it was an extremely polite and roundabout way of rejecting my advances.
This! I think he just wants you to touch him. :) Buy or make some nice smelling oils and make a night out of it!

GoingNowhere

hahaha, maybe you're right, but to give some background - this is my SO of several years and the conversation usually goes as follows:

Me: "Christmas is so stressful. I don't know what to get anyone!"

Him: "No it's not. I've got some awesome things planned for you!"

Me: "Don't say that! I have nothing! Why are you so difficult!? What do you want?"

Him "I don't want anything. No, wait. Just give me a smile and maybe a back massage and you'll make my day."

We exchange back massages all the time so I don't *think* that it was said with any sort of innuendo. ;) That last comment is his way of making life difficult for me by giving me no ideas. I thought it might be cute to take a spin off of his words and actually get him a back massage, but I'm not sure if a couple's massage would be an awkward gift or a nice one.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
No one can answer that one for you as only you know your relationship ways :D I've been for a massage with my other half, but it was in Morocco.... And we were separated.. And he was mortified as the man massaging him touched his plums hahahaha

crazedACD

As long as you know he's cool with the idea of it, why not? Some people ARE skeeved by the idea of other people touching them but it sounds like a good gift to me. Massages are something that I think the average person feels like is needless spending, so it's always nice to get it gifted :).

xpaeanx

I agree that only you know your relationship dynamics and how he would respond to someone else touching him.

In my relationship, I wouldn't see this as being weird and I actually have done the couples massage/spa thing in a past relationship.

As far as going to a school vs going to a "real" place; I think since you're dating him he's probably very familiar with your financial situation and will know that it was a matter of not being able to afford the "real" place vs trying to be cheap. So I wouldn't worry about that.

However, what I can tell you about my couples spa/massage was that we first soaked in a private hot sauna together with frozen drinks that were fantastic, then got the massages and then we went out to a fantastic restaurant(my favorite place ever) afterwards. So maybe you want to think of what to pair with it? I'm not saying you have to go out and do more things(read spend a lot more $$). But maybe you can "meet" him at the place so that you have time to set the house up so when you both get back afterwards the present can continue?

GoingNowhere

Thanks for the thoughts. I've decided to play it safe and go for something different instead. While I think that he would have liked it, there's a chance that he would've found it uncomfortable, so maybe this is a better thing to do together when we can both talk about it first!

Members online

No members online now.