Veterinary Assistant jobs

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I always enjoyed working at regular boarding kennels, but supervising daycare dogs kind of sucked, I agree. I like doing specific tasks all day, but just kind of sitting there observing and occasionally scooping poop was...less than entertaining.
My experience of it was TOO MUCH CRAZY. After like 5 minutes I was wiped lol. Could not do it for 8+ hours. :p

Jules

Magic, motherf@%$*#!
Have you thought about looking at non-profit organizations? The pay most of the time is not wonderful, but okay and it's really rewarding (depending on where you work, lol).

A lot of them look at how you'll fit in with the organization and will give you a chance, even if your resume doesn't reflect the most experience. I met the most wonderful people when I worked at a Legal Aid Office!

nikkiluvsu15

Wild At Heart
No experience with vet assistant, but did want to reply to this

Have you thought about looking at non-profit organizations? The pay most of the time is not wonderful, but okay and it's really rewarding (depending on where you work, lol).

A lot of them look at how you'll fit in with the organization and will give you a chance, even if your resume doesn't reflect the most experience. I met the most wonderful people when I worked at a Legal Aid Office!
I agree with looking at a non-profit. I work at a non-profit right now and I absolutely love it!! My pay is actually pretty good, or at least I think it is, so no complaints there.

I actually got my position after volunteering there for a few months. I absolutely love it! My one and only complaint is I hate getting paid once a month lol

JacksonsMom

Well, I run a non-profit :p it's just we're still fairly new-ish and we're just now starting to make a good amount of money (and not doing a lot of stuff out of our own pocket), so I will be able to start paying myself a salary soon. But yeah my mom and I run it in honor of my brother who passed away and have for the past 6 years, it's a drowning awareness and water safety foundation. www.connorcares.org so yeah, this is what I've been doing along with working at daycare for extra money. We just had our biggest event yesterday and the night before, with a poker and golf tournmanet, and we worked our asses off on it, so I plan on taking a little pay for my hard work.

DJEtzel

I've done assistant stuff here and there over the years at shelters I've worked at. I think if you can find a place that pays decent, it would be more rewarding to work in non-profit than working in a clinic. I was able to do a lot more at shelters than I would in a clinic since everything is OTJ training and they need a lot more done. Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... :rolleyes: Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.

I was technically a back up "tech" at the first place I worked, doing all of the veterinary duties on the full time girl's days off. Vaccinating, drawing blood, restraining, prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.

Another place I did a ton of sub q fluids, diagnosing issues, prescribing meds, microchipping, fecal analysis, and suture removal.

Another place I did vaccinating, skin scrapes, ear swabs, etc.

We basically got crash courses by the vets that came in once a month or so on how to diagnose common issues and what to prescribe for each one. A little informal, but it was interesting for sure.

I work for a non-profit currently, and I would think (maybe I'm wrong?) that the assistants actually working long hours and hard, with the dogs, would make more than the receptionists(me)? If so, they make pretty decent money here working full time for sure, and would fall into your average range.

frostfell

Kung Pow Fish
I've done assistant stuff here and there over the years at shelters I've worked at. I think if you can find a place that pays decent, it would be more rewarding to work in non-profit than working in a clinic. I was able to do a lot more at shelters than I would in a clinic since everything is OTJ training and they need a lot more done. Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... :rolleyes: Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.

I was technically a back up "tech" at the first place I worked, doing all of the veterinary duties on the full time girl's days off. Vaccinating, drawing blood, restraining, prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.

Another place I did a ton of sub q fluids, diagnosing issues, prescribing meds, microchipping, fecal analysis, and suture removal.

Another place I did vaccinating, skin scrapes, ear swabs, etc.

We basically got crash courses by the vets that came in once a month or so on how to diagnose common issues and what to prescribe for each one. A little informal, but it was interesting for sure.

I work for a non-profit currently, and I would think (maybe I'm wrong?) that the assistants actually working long hours and hard, with the dogs, would make more than the receptionists(me)? If so, they make pretty decent money here working full time for sure, and would fall into your average range.
holy crap this is like my dream way to learn. show me once, hand me what i need, and sit down and watch me

Saeleofu

Some people might think this was unsafe or sketchy... but when vets are telling you to do it and giving you cabinets full of supplies to use... Thankfully, we didn't do anything that could actually harm an animal, and did get proper training on the job.
Well, it depends. Legally only a vet can diagnose, prescribe, and do surgeries (with the exception of simple dentals or maybe skin sutures). It doesn't matter if the vet told you to do it, it's still illegal. Pretty much anything else, though, is fair game as long as you're under the direction of a vet.

If you do something illegal, it will come back to haunt you if you intend to work at another clinic some day.

DJEtzel

Well, it depends. Legally only a vet can diagnose, prescribe, and do surgeries (with the exception of simple dentals or maybe skin sutures). It doesn't matter if the vet told you to do it, it's still illegal. Pretty much anything else, though, is fair game as long as you're under the direction of a vet.

If you do something illegal, it will come back to haunt you if you intend to work at another clinic some day.
I don't think I did anything illegal? The vets gave us the meds, so we were not getting them illegally or anything. We didn't do surgery or anything like that. This seems pretty common practice for shelters, I can't imagine they're all operating illegally?

I definitely thought it was always a little odd, but like I said, that's just how every place worked.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I don't think I did anything illegal? The vets gave us the meds, so we were not getting them illegally or anything. We didn't do surgery or anything like that. This seems pretty common practice for shelters, I can't imagine they're all operating illegally?

I definitely thought it was always a little odd, but like I said, that's just how every place worked.
You said this:
prescribing meds for URIs, loose stool, parasites, eye issues, etc.
If you diagnosed and prescribed meds, regardless if the vet said "here's an open cabinet of meds," it was illegal.

as to can't imagine shelters don't operate illegally, LOLOLOLOLOL too funny.

DJEtzel

You said this:

If you diagnosed and prescribed meds, regardless if the vet said "here's an open cabinet of meds," it was illegal.

I legitimately didn't know that was a thing. I thought if vets prescribed meds for the shelter and told them how to dose them it was ok? I mean, I was told to do it for my job. As a teenager, I just assumed it was legal to do.

Why do so many vets and shelters do this?

Eta; wouldn't a tech reading a fecal be diagnosing the parasites?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Only a veterinarian is able to diagnose and prescribe drugs. I can look at a fecal sample and know the animal has roundworms, and know what drug it needs, but I still need the approval of a vet first before I hand anything out.

crazedACD

You said this:

It may be sort of a grey area, if they had say a bottle of doxycycline, know the conversion/dosage...the techs notice a dog coughing with runny nose, and give the appropriate dosage. It may vary by state too..
The "necessary and prompt" veterinary medical care provided within city, county and/or city/county animal control shelters and/or its agencies to protect the public good without a California licensed veterinarian present is limited to basic care to prevent spread of disease and to protect the public and the animals, e.g., vaccinations, prophylactic treatment of parasites and basic testing within protocols developed in conjunction with a California licensed veterinarian. All other on-going and regular veterinary medical care must be provided by or under the supervision of a licensed California veterinarian.
These duties range from basics like cleaning kennels or handling animals for medical examinations to more complex tasks such as assisting in surgery, prescribing treatment (based on predetermined protocols), and even managing the veterinarian’s time and ensuring that the vet is on task.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Only a veterinarian is able to diagnose and prescribe drugs. I can look at a fecal sample and know the animal has roundworms, and know what drug it needs, but I still need the approval of a vet first before I hand anything out.
^ This. For example, I can run the fecal, see roundworms, calculate how much of X medication dog needs at Y dose, and then get everything made up all nice and beautiful...but I still have to say, "Hey, Doc, Fluffy had rounds, okay that I give Y dose of Z medication at this rate?" They say, "Sure! Sounds good!" and only then do I make it an official script and actually give it to the patient.

Same is true for any drug. I may know how to dose and what treatment protocol to follow, but I cannot give it without the vet's okay, verbal or otherwise.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
It may be sort of a grey area, if they had say a bottle of doxycycline, know the conversion/dosage...the techs notice a dog coughing with runny nose, and give the appropriate dosage. It may vary by state too..
From the AVMA:
The duties of veterinary technicians shall be performed under the direction, supervision, and responsibility of veterinarians. These duties shall be accomplished in compliance with federal, state, and local laws. These duties shall not include diagnosing, prescribing, or performing surgery except where explicitly permitted by regulation.
The way that California law reads is as an "in case of emergency" kind of situation, which is what it seems the AVMA is talking about - if there's an express regulation allowing it, it's okay. I would guess most states probably do have some kind of emergency clause. But a dog coughing and with a runny nose is likely not going to count as an emergency (unless those are symptoms consistent with a doggy plague running rampant!) And certainly doing such routinely wouldn't fall into "in case of emergency."

It seems California takes it quite seriously:
http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/press_releases/2013/0904_vmb.shtml
Scaling dogs teeth with metal scalers counted as "practicing veterinary medicine without a license" and net those two probation and fines.
So probably less gray than you would think.

^ This. For example, I can run the fecal, see roundworms, calculate how much of X medication dog needs at Y dose, and then get everything made up all nice and beautiful...but I still have to say, "Hey, Doc, Fluffy had rounds, okay that I give Y dose of Z medication at this rate?" They say, "Sure! Sounds good!" and only then do I make it an official script and actually give it to the patient.

Same is true for any drug. I may know how to dose and what treatment protocol to follow, but I cannot give it without the vet's okay, verbal or otherwise.
This is how my vets have worked as well. The techs run the UA, look at it, then hand Doc the results and he pretty much just signs off on it.

All that said, shelters do shady stuff when it comes to vet med waaaaaay more frequently than most people would like to think. Why? $$$$$.

Members online

No members online now.