New Breed Love- Finnish Lapphunds

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I guess since I can't afford any puppy right now, I was just looking at all of the AKC breeds that have foundation stock entered, but aren't technically recognized yet.

Just because I think that it's fascinating how many dog breeds there are, and how beautiful they all are in their own way.

AND I found Finnish Lapphunds and I think I have a new breed crush! How cool are these guys? :)

Plus, I really love what I learned about them:

The Finnish Lapphund is neither shy nor aggresive, quite intelligent,friendly toward people and other dogs. At the same time, he possessess an independent streak. Mild mannered and eager to please, he exhibits a strong sense of loyalty to its family. Sometimes, one wonders if he sees his family as reindeer herd, a flock to be tended. Being a working breed, his trainability and ability to learn is quite apparent, qualities that makes him suitable to excel in dogs sports.

The breed is relatively a well balanced dog of small to medium size with a strong base and muscle. The average female Lapphund is smaller from its male counterpart and characterwise is more biddable. Males range in
height from 46-52 cms (18-20.5 inches) while females range from 41-47 cms (16-18.5 inches). However, the breed standard specified that type is more important than the size. He is a genuine arctic spitz with long, straight and coarse coat, and a thick dense downy undercoat, commonly categorized as a "double coat.†The harshness of its coat needs minimal maintenance and is quite water resistant. Features that proves valuable in the harsh climates of the Arctic. The ears which are small to medium sized are either pricked (erect), or have folded tips and are well furnished with hair inside.

All colours are allowed as long as one basic primary colour is dominant with colours other than the main colour occuring in the head, neck, chest or the underside of the body. Another interesting feature of the lapphund is the presence of spectacles, the light hair colouring around the eyes that gives an impression of the dog wearing"eyeglasses".

Health and Care

Finnish LapphundsThe Finnish Lapphund is one of the healthiest dog breeds. But like most purebreds some lines do carry genetic diseases. A small percentage of the Lapphunds have PRA or HC, and very few hip dysplasia cases are found. It is good practice that hips and eyes of dogs being planned for breeding are examined first and ensured that they are of good breeding quality.

It is widely acknowledged that the average lifespan is between 12-15, however based on experience a better estimate is 15-17 years.

The double coated dog do shed at least once a year (twice or more for females). Maintenance of the coat is not labor and time intensive, regular brushing and occassional baths are fairly sufficient. Care should still be observed when combing out dead hair to avoid skin diseases.
Found here A wealth of information on a breed we love... | Finnish Lapphund Club of Canada

I think I'm in love....

(I think I like these guys even better then samoyeds!) :yikes: (now how am I supposed to change my screen name:lol-sign:

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
If I ever get a spitz, this would be the one. Supposedly they're really pretty easy... for a spitz. :p

PeggyPup

Love my BC and Pap!
Hmmmm...they say everything happens for a reason....maybe there's a reason you ended up not being able to get that samoyed puppy because your car broke down....maybe it was a sign that THIS is the dog for you!

I think they're gorgeous dogs. Never met one though, so I'm not sure whether or not I'd like them! They seem like cool dogs though! Are they pricey?

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
I love that...easy...for a spitz... :rofl1:

Ain't it the truth, though?

ANNNNnnnnn....I found a breeder I like. And I emailed her. Just to find out more information. I'll let you know! Supposedly, they're personality wise more like an aussie then a spitz, but I bet the breeder will clarify.

Oh, it's like an addiction!

Peggy- I'd say they're just as expensive as anything else. I'm betting probably $1000 up, 'cause that's a "normal" price for a pup.

It's just a day dream, but a very cute, fluffy daydream that is more of what I'm looking for in a dog then a samoyed. ;)

I'm just glad I can take care of my babies at home

*watches while Abby noms on a pork neck bone*

On behalf of the samoyed breed, baby Zero iz saaaaaad

Ha ha. Cute breed though! Never heard of them, they look pretty darn cool! I wonder how many breeders there are around?

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Gosh, sammy puppies are the CUTEST EVER!!!

Stop it, Skki, just stop it. :rofl1:

I know, I know. I went back and forth between keesies and sammies for a long, long time. My mom was like, "Once you have a keesie, you'll never be without!"

I think everyone feels like that once they have that breed that they love. :)

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Oh my god skKi. That was Not Fair.

In response to baby Zero

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
what's that red stuff on his paws? ;) Looks like he was a naughty puppy and got into something :D

I love it!!!

Blood from whatever it was he was eating :D He always eats his food with his hands and makes a giant mess!

Members online

No members online now.