long future help

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
I would go with a Dobe or Poodle. It may come down to contacting breeders that have both breeds, and your decision might be made simply because you found a Doberman (or Poodle) so suit. Since a good SD is hard to find, I wouldnt narrow my search down to one breed, if you like 2. Look for one service dog in each breed and go from there, depending on what you find.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I think the right borzoi would fit your needs pretty well too. :)

They are very big, but fold for easy under-bed storage:

lol, seriously though, Strider is 30 inches at the shoulder and can comfortably curl into a ball and ride in the passenger seat of my saturn sedan, fit on an airplane, curl up under my chair in a restaurant, movie theater, etc. I don't know if a dane could do that.

He's very good at his job, and does all the things you mention except retrieve meds because I don't have any (allergic :()

They are very long lived, 12-14 years old is VERY common. I've personally met two that were 15, and still got around fine.

A stable, good correct temperamented borzoi will be naturally inclined to be good at public access. They tend to be aloof with strangers and focused on their owners so you don't have to worry as much about them poking people in the crotch as you pass by. They also lack the defensiveness of poodles and dobes, so you don't have to worry about them getting huffy if they think someone is invading their or your personal space (something I've seen a lot of st. poodles have issues with, and one of the big reasons labradoodles were made instead of just sticking with st. poodles). The main thing to work on is controlling prey drive. Once they understand that running is situational, and what situations it is/isn't okay, you're golden.

Plus, by the time you're ready for one I might have a puppy for you. :rofl1:

Saeleofu

no problem, i think there needs to be alot more education about service and medical dogs.
:hail:

Since a good SD is hard to find, I wouldnt narrow my search down to one breed
Which is how I ended up with a collie when they were never on my initial "short list" :rofl1:

Romy

Taxiderpy
Basically, we want them to not be a dog. How few dogs can handle this kind of life? So yeah, it takes a lot of training - and a lucky breeding - to produce a good SD, no matter what the breed.
You know, Robert's main complaint about Strider is that it's like having a roommate instead of a dog. :rofl1:

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
omg romy, borzoi puppeh! squee!

ok, so right now poodle dobie and borzoi are on the short list, i do have a love for the sight hounds and borzoi just make me melt lol

Members online

No members online now.