Trick of the Week: Hug!

Ok! So I have been having trouble coming up with something to match Perch and all the enthusiasm people showed with it but I figure we'll come back to that in a few weeks maybe and do a brush up. And feel free to keep posting in that thread! That's a never ending trick!

So, this week (And yeah, I get that it's more like month....oh well, week sounds better) is Hug! Now, I've never taught this trick so I went to Sekah because Cohen knows all tricks and she was awesome enough to make a video of it to give everyone a visual.

[YOUTUBE]ggqQzH2PJAM&feature=c4-overview&list=UUTgRK4G390oB_jQE0v0cGww[/YOUTUBE]

So, as you can see it's a nice trick to start out with a pole/broom/mop/PVC etc. but it can evolve into holding on t a toy or even into picking something up to hold onto.

I've never attempted this trick before so I'm going to be navagating it with you all and hopefully Sekah and anyone else that has done it can be our guru's!

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
I've been meaning to teach this to Crosserton! Good pick!!
Me too, but with Webby! But this is one Mira should be able to do too. Kim can't do a sit-pretty without support it's just motivation to keep working on that with her :)

Sekah

The Monster.
Aww, that's so cute! Looks difficult. I don't even know where to begin.
The first step is getting some interaction with a pole. This trick is much easier for dogs who are naturally "handsy" (which Cohen is not).

It's one of Trkman's puppy class projects, so you can find quite a few "in progress" videos on youtube.

[YOUTUBE]P4-s-ig1hNE[/YOUTUBE]

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Ooh this should be fun! Feist almost has enough core strength to sit pretty, so having this as a goal will help us actually get that done. :)

Oooh, this looks like fun! And Boone always defaults to using his paws, so hopefully that will help.

I want Hudson to hold things because Cohen always looks so adorable when she does that. But, Huddy says sitting up like that is hard on hardwood floors. The poor kid thinks sitting is difficult on the hardwood, let alone sitting up like that.

Toller_08

I don't know how, but I missed the last trick of the week until the other day. I definitely want to make en extra effort to work on these this year! Journ and I will work on this trick for sure this week. I've been running out of trick ideas lately so this will be fun.

I only watched the first few seconds of the video posted before attempting this. About 1 minute into touch, we have this. Have I ever said that I love this dog? Because, I really love this dog. We got a little further than this but my camera quits recording after a few seconds for some reason. And yes, I'm in my pajamas. :p It's been a cold, lazy day.

[YOUTUBE]7NLV3Gi6THY[/YOUTUBE]

Sekah

The Monster.
I want Hudson to hold things because Cohen always looks so adorable when she does that. But, Huddy says sitting up like that is hard on hardwood floors. The poor kid thinks sitting is difficult on the hardwood, let alone sitting up like that.
Do it on a mat! Also, you can work on a one-handed hug while the dog is sitting, if you want. The beg is optional and may come in time!

Sekah

The Monster.
I only watched the first few seconds of the video posted before attempting this. About 1 minute into touch, we have this. Have I ever said that I love this dog? Because, I really love this dog. We got a little further than this but my camera quits recording after a few seconds for some reason. And yes, I'm in my pajamas. :p It's been a cold, lazy day.

Jeez. You guys are awesome already. Good work! Can't wait to see where you guys go with it!

Finkie_Mom

It's A Red Dog Revolution

LOVE IT!

I have been wanting to try this with Jari for a while now. Maybe I can get Kimma in on it as well!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.

Very nice start!

I've never thought to teach this but i think art will be better than Talon at this. Art is super handy but Talon isn't. I wonder if i could get art to hug talon hahaha probably not super realistic lol

Sekah

The Monster.
Very nice start!

I've never thought to teach this but i think art will be better than Talon at this. Art is super handy but Talon isn't. I wonder if i could get art to hug talon hahaha probably not super realistic lol
[YOUTUBE]SdVBbQLr81k[/YOUTUBE]

If my dogs liked each other more I might try this. Heck, I might try this anyways.

Members online

No members online now.