Nighting barking problem

Okay, everyone...

I've got a serious problem, and I know you're all going to hate me for this, but I really need your help.

I have a dog that I have to keep outside at night. He has a cage/kennel that's fairly large so he's safe and he's not chained up or anything.

However, the problem is he barks at random things during the night and he is driving at least one neighbor crazy. She already told the police once and then she came over to talk to us. She said she's a light sleeper and she works 2 jobs and my dog is always barking and keeping her awake.

The thing is, he doesn't bark all night, just a few times for maybe 15 minutes or so, but it's still enough to wake her up. Also, I know there are a lot of other dogs in the area, so I'm not sure if its 100% his fault, but I do know he is part of the problem. We've told him to be quiet when he barks and he usually complies at least for awhile afterwards. Last night he didn't bark after we told him to be quiet at about 3am. Unfortunately, the neighbor called and she still couldn't get any sleep.

So, I'm hoping for suggestions. My parents told me to get shock collar. I don't want to do that but I don't know what other choice I have at this point. I'm thinking about trying to move him to a different area where his barking might be more muffled. I really don't want my neighbor to be disturbed and definitely don't want him to be taken away by the police.

bubbatd

Isn't there a way you can bring him in at night ??? I really feel sorry for your neighbor .

Thanks Bubba.

I wish there was, but my parents don't want him in the house at all, not even in the basement. To be honest, there's hardly any room in the house and it's a pretty big mess. Once I get his Crate back, I might able to try that, but right now I think I'm going to have to try some other alternatives.

Here are some of my ideas.

1. Try to pay my sister to exercise him at night (because I'm work until 11pm) so he won't have so much energy.
2. Put him in a smaller "shelter" area attached to the shed in our backyard. I don't know if he'll be as comfortable because he's pretty accustomed to his doghouse and pen...and this is a bit smaller....but still bigger than his crate.
3. Try to put the shock collar on him at night and keep it on the lowest setting and hope he gets the idea. Might try it on myself first.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Honestly.... it sounds like he's lonely. He wants to be with his family. =(

I don't hate you, and I doubt that anyone would, but if I were you I would do ANYTHING necessary to get him allowed inside at night. Offer to vaccum a few times a week. Get a crate, now. There are crates for $20 on Craigslist. The thing is, if AC is called out more than twice for a nuisance barker, your dog is most likely going to be taken away... and it's just rude to leave your dog out there barking. If your dog is taken away, you will have to pay a nice big fine. And, your dog could be taken away forever. I used to live on a golf course, and a neighbor's dog was seized after too many barking complaints. D: That is BAD. You need to convince your parents that he wants to be with his pack, inside, and he could be taken away from you if something isn't done.

The exercise couldn't hurt... I exercise my dogs after 11pm all of the time, if I stay out late. Just spend some time with him. Freeze a super-stuffed Kong for him before you go to work, so you can give it to him to settle down for the night. I would not recommend a shock collar, but to each their own. Shock collars do cost $100+. Crates cost a lot less.

bubbatd

No one could have a smaller house than I have ...and so what if the house is a mess !!! Why does he need a crate at night ?? A bed beside you or in bed with you , would keep him happy . I'm sorry , but if a dog couldn't be with me , I wouldn't have one .

SmexyPibble

Blow. Me. Away.
Nobody will hate you, I don't at all! I totally understand. Oh parents!

This is a serious situation, isn't it? Honestly, I don't have much of a problem with shock collars as long as they are set on a very low tone that will not harm the dog or actually SHOCK them, but is enough to irritate them to not do it again. ALTHOUGH, Erica is correct; shock collars are VERY expensive indeed. Is there any way at all you could buy a crate off of Craigslist or another cheap site so he didn't have to sleep outside? You could put the crate somewhere close to you so he doesn't get so restless and lonely at night. He'll be much more comfortable in the house, much happier than he would be with a shocker on. You're parents wouldn't have TOO much of a problem if he was enclosed in a crate in your room as long as he didn't step foot elsewhere and if you took him right out in the morning, would they?

Members online

No members online now.