Worried about Bear

Irish

Last week we noticed Bear seemed afraid to go out in the yard. I started having to walk out with him and he would do his business then raise back into the house. Today, he peed as he was walking through the house. It was like he didn't know he was peeing. He started in the living room, walked through the kitchen and into the hallway leaving a trail of pee. I am afraid that maybe the Prednisone he takes may be affecting him. He has been on it for 1-2 years now, just 20 mg/week, which isn't much, for his chronic bronchitis. Any ideas on why he's doing this? Could it be from the Prednisone? He also takes Glucosamine for arthritis. He is 11-years-old. I'm really scared of what this may mean. I am going to call my vet, just thought I'd ask you guys too.

bubbatd

This is so sad for you !!!!! It could be a lot of things. I've had dogs on prednisone and one of my males did this too ....wish I could remember more ( it was years ago ) but I think it was kidney failure.....If I remember he was about the same age and had IV treatments for a year or two. Wish I could help.. there are too many painfull brain blocks when it comes to our babies.....please keep us posted !

Irish

Bubba and Rene,
Yes, I think it is the Pred. Now he is pooing in the house too, again he seems totally unaware he is doing it. I'm going to talk to my vet (I think he is closed today though :( ) about tapering him off the Prednisone. I think he'd be better off with the cough than having kidney problems. I can't lose him :(

I'm glad you're going to do that. Prednisone has some nasty side effects. Vets love it because it seemingly works wonders and gets rid of all sorts of symptoms and their clients can take their pets home and feel relieved - for awhile.

My Mom had a little dog who had chronic bronchitis and our vet had her give Roo Creomulsion for Children. It worked like a charm. If Roo was having a really bad spell, we'd hit her upper lip with Vick's Vapo Rub too, lol!

I don't want you to lose Bear either. I had a very special Bear for many years too.

showpug

Make sure you taper the pred off VERY slowly. If you do it too fast, the results can be catastrophic!!!! Good luck and I hope all goes well and it's a simple fix. Poor baby boy :(

Irish

Rene, Bubba and Showpug,
I appreciate you all so much. My vet was closed today, so I will call him tomorrow. Bear is acting fine, he's eating and being silly like usual. I will let you know what he says (the vet, not Bear :D ) tommorow. Thanks again.

Members online

No members online now.