Things you will do/did do differently with your next dog

Locke

1. Help dog to enjoy nail dremeling and teeth brushing
2. Greet strangers/dogs politely or ignore
3. Teach dog to be immortal.

Lyzelle

I won't stress as much. Or I'll try to not stress as much. I'll try to have more fun and playtime, just take it easy and not dump a crap load of stress and training on the poor thing. And getting out more, definitely, and socializing.

I haven't decided if I would pay ridiculous moolah for a puppy class I probably wouldn't agree with. I guess it depends on the trainer, but I'm leaning towards no until we get to more advanced levels of training.

Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with how my dogs turned out.

Brattina88

There are a lot of things I would do differently if I was raising another puppy, but Maddie turned our pretty darn good :D lol. We got there (clicker training and shaping) but I started with other methods (a lot of luring, some collar popping) and my next I won't do that ;) Pretty much the only thing I'd change or 'do better' next time would be the loose leash walking. She's a puller! She has a nice heel for things like Rallyo, but for walking? Arrrg! lol :p
So, I have been more consistent with Bailey and she walks wonderfully on leash

Cheza

Dremel stuff, since although it can be trained into an older dog it's annoying. Bathing, same reason, especially since they're large.
A good stack/free stack and hold if a show dog, and a bombproof down-stay. Without that my dogs are hooligans, which is more often than I'd like.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I went to extremes to socialize Fozzie as a puppy... and while he's AWESOME with people, he has some fear towards strange dogs. I let him meet any other dog we saw on walks & I learned that even though most people claim that their dog is super friendly, a lot of them aren't. D: I also allowed big dogs to play too roughly with him, and he now feels the need to be defensive when he first meets them for fear of being trampled. He is super reliable with other dogs and has never been in a fight, so I'm happy for that.

With my next puppy I'm not going to let them meet strange dogs on leash. I'm not going to let dogs bully them, either.

~Dixie's_Mom~

♥Chloe & Violet♥
Definitely nail trimming/feet handling in general. We did quite a bit of that with Violet but apparently not enough as she HATES having her feet touched. Even more than Chloe who I thought was pretty bad.

Doberluv

I might train more nifty tricks and also more shaping with a clicker. But as far as behavior in general, all my dogs have always been well mannered and pleasant to be around. Some I've trained further than others, but all in all, I've been lucky to have such nice dogs.

Members online

No members online now.