Ratty Girls

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog

heres one of the ratty girls looking for a home at the local shelter, rodents have 1 week to find a new home before being euthanized due to the low turnover and large space requirments.

theres 2 females i know of right now, both are blue dumbo sisters, one has a left white paw the other has a right white paw...
they also have 4 males looking for homes so ive asked for pictures of them...

all are friendly and young (under 1 year) and i have a huge softspot for dumbos and blue is my FAVE ratty color, the only think more perfect would be a satin or rex and those are impossible to find outside of breeders...

ratties are definatly better suited to my monetary situation right now...and these guys only have 1 week to find a home...

what you think guys?!

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
i know, im waiting on pics of the males,
theres the 2 blue girls
then theres a set of 3 brothers (siblings to the girls) that consist of 2 blue males with white blazes and a rew eyed white...

and theres a pair consisting of a solid blue male and a black hooded...

the cage i have isnt big enough for 3 and im definatly not capable of taking on all of them, but if i can save just a couple

there so adoarble

Brattina88

too cute! Are you leaning towards girls or boys? Just wondering
I thought I would prefer females, but after spending some time with some rats (before I got my Korben) I had figured I really liked boys . .. :p

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive had both males and females in the past so im not sure...ive had rats since i was 6 or 7 right up untill 2 years ago when my 5 yr old champagne male passed of old age...

the woman is willing to let me meet ALL of them and pick based on which choose me...

and now my lil sister is interested too, she had rats up till last year she had 2 her white feeder rescue got an agressive cancer (inoperable) and only 2 weeks later her blue hooded passed, being she was young and the vet couldnt find anythign wrong with her we thing it was from heartbreak.

so with my parents permission i may end up bringing home 4, 2 for me and 2 for my sister...i may not be able to rescue all 7 of them, but if i can offer 4 of them good homes...hey its worth a try right?!

personally i LOVE both sexes personalities, i love females for their inquisitvity and willingness to learn...and i love males cause there simply snuggle bugs...so itll depend which ones pick me lol.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Oh I wish I was out there. I would take that little ratty home in a heartbeat. She's such a cute little thing.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog

heres the 2 males that are available...

im REALY thinking about taking all 4 and giving the 2 boys to my sister for xmas (again assuming its ok with the parents lol)

Ill know for sure by this evening when i talk to them about it.

What cuties! I would have taken them all home, and found new homes for the ones I couldn't keep. (Well..I do that now cause I do rodent rescue myself). I ADORE dumbos...I currenly only have two (An agouti double rex dumbo, and a black capped/blazed dumbo..both boys)..

I much prefer boys. I have both boys and girls..but there is nothing nicer than laying in bed and having man rats sleeping next to you. My girls would be all over the place, but the boys like to snuggle under the covers and nap.

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
some good news, after talking it through wiht my parents

the 2 blue females and the blue male and hooded male will be comming to live with us.

my sister is going to "home" the 2 males (she loves hoodeds) so the boys will sleep in her room
the 2 females will be mine...

and i have a friend who might be able to take the 3 male siblings to the blue girls...

woot!

they will be comming home on sunday...

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ratty update

so im taking the 2 boys as a xmas gift for my sister
and the 2 girls for myself...

so yesterday i whent pre ratty shopping, picked up a new waterbottle (my old one was grimey) and then wallymart didnt have the labblocks or anythign but pine bedding so off to petco...i go in and look around, coon over the baby ratties, picked up a big bag of bedding and labblocks and headed out...

there by the door is this guy holding the petco cardboard boxes hes ranting over the phone and then said words that made my heart sink...
"if they wont take the thing back ill just leave it outside, itll learn to survive"

he hung up and i confronted him nicely with "im sorry but i couldnt help overhear your conversation"

he was VERY open and started going on abotu how stupid petco is...
he bought this female rat to put with his sons male so they could reproduce and hed have a free food source for his reps...(icky but thats nature so...) anywho he goes on to tell me "but my male tried to kill her and i find out today that its because shes too young and isnt ready yet...i asked them if she was old enough and they said yes" aparently hed had her for 24 hours his male had visiously attacked her and now petco wouldnt take her back...

so i asked if i could take alook at her...
shes a GORGEOUS black hooded, almost perfect markings, shes huddled in the corner of the cardboard box shaking in the cold and frightend...

but as soon as i put my finger on her back her little nose started twitching and she took hold of my finger in her lil hands...i took her out she was obviously unsure and frightend, obviulsy not handled in the first few weeks of her life...shes what petco consideres a medium...aka about 8-10 weeks old. but i picked her up, secured the base of her tial incase she bolted and she nuzzled down into the crook of my arm and cleaning her whiskers...

he then explained he didnt have space to keep "the thing" and because shes a "wild animal" he could just leave her on the side of the road and shed find a pack of wild rats to live with...

i explained that she wouldnt survive the cold (it was starting to SNOW) and the wild rats would likely kill her, shes a domesticated rodent not a wild rat...
he stared at me blankly and was like, well they wont take "the thing" back the male wont go neer her without trying to tear her apart and thats "its" only option.

i couldnt just leave her outside as the snowflakes started to fall...
so i told him i couldnt offer anything for her but id take her off his hands...

he happily agreed and i asked him about his other rat, his sons at least...turns out the other rat is a 2 year old FEMALE (i asked the obvious...and when i mentioned the large testicles hes like oh no my sons doesnt have anything...there "inside" him...*sigh* he showed me a picture of an albino female rat...*sigh* no wonder she tried to tear apart the baby...

so i checked her over...she has no visible injuries, im guessing the "fight" was a dominance snuffle...she does have a little bit of a sneeze but her eyes are clear and no runny nose and no rattle in the chest...he was keeping her on pine...*growls*

so i took her inside explained what had happend (remember im getting 2 girls i dont need a 3rd) and they tell me "well we cant take it..." and shuffled me off...i couldnt belive they were going to let this guy leave her out in the cold!

so back to walmart 10gal tupperware tote a cookie sheet and some cable ties later i made a hosptial tank for her...and got her settled in...

the cage i have for the girls is plenty big enough for 3 females (heck its big enough for up to 5) and the 2 girls are only about 10-12 weeks old so there not much in terms of an age difference and weight wise there only a tiny bit bigger than her...
so im hoping, assuming shes ok through teh quarrentein period i can introduce her to the blue girls so shell have friends...

poor little girls been through so much!

she found the hammock though and LOVES it lol, yay fleece! and shes a talker last night im in bed and hear her chattering away to herself...
we had 1 or 2 sneezes last night but nothing thus far today so im hoping shes one of those rare cases of actually no respitory lol.l

ill get pictures tonight of her...and we'll see what happens.

i guess im supposed to have ratties!

some people discust me though...what made this guy think such a tiny BABY creature whos obviously NEVER seen the outside would survive a connecticut winter? she would have frozen to death in no time...

Members online

No members online now.