Best harness/collar/etc for a BAD puller?

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
I think it depends on the dog.

I used a front-clip harness when Juno was younger, and while it gave me more control than when she was just on a buckle collar... she could still pull and she was still able to throw her weight into it if she wanted to get to something. So, it helped a little but wasn't magical and didn't make a huge difference.

Gentle Leader I don't find deters much either, I used to use it on Juno and now I put it on Happy when we go to pet stores. Again, gives much more control, but doesn't stop my guys from hitting the end of the leash. And both of them shake their head around a little bit every time they do. It kind of adds a new set of annoyances to walks, honestly.

Juno actually does really well on plain old harnesses that clip on the back, believe it or not. I know it's supposed to encourage the opposite but yeah not with her. She can still be naughty when the mood strikes though.

Leash wraps work pretty well, they make Juno really sad though.

Dear God I feel like I have used every single contraption out there.

Aleron

I have found prongs to be the most effective for the largest number of dogs. GLs can be really effective too, providing you desensitize the dog to them first and use them every single time the dog is on lead for a good long while. Front clip harnesses I have been unimpressed with but I won one in a raffle and it actually works pretty well on Whim except for the first few minutes of a walk, where she still wants to pull. They mostly seem work on dogs who think the leash being near their front legs is icky. I tried it on Roust and it was like trying to reel in a huge fish LOL

Is this your Brittany that is the puller? My friend's Britt is the worst puller I have ever known. He will pull against anything, will embed prong collars into his neck pulling against them, rub his nose raw with a GL, his chest raw with no pull harnesses and pulls so hard against a regular collar he makes himself pee. Crazy, crazy dog. I think he's usually walked on a sledding harness and a long line now. :eek:

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
For those that use the Freedom, do you find it fits well and stays fitted? Neither of my dogs pull (much) with me, but my mother cares for them during the day and has issues. They both have an Easywalk, but I find they tend to loosen and slide around a lot. I'm wondering if that extra strap between the legs would make a difference.
A friend brought her maxi-Siri over to play and even with her dog's narrower chest, the Freedom harness fit amazingly. Much better than an Easy Walk. I plan on getting one for each of my guys after seeing it on her dog.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Something to consider with the pinch. They can hype a dog up depending on how they handle pain/correction...
I agree with this. Not to mention... they can create a leash reactive dog inadvertently, and that's a much more difficult issue than pulling!

I like Sensation harnesses a lot! When I train a dog not to pull, I use a slip lead fitted snugly at the very top of the neck. I wear them out with a good walk, leash held firmly at my left side (it's much easier for dogs to pull when they have momentum out in front of you). Once they're less amped up, I hold the end of the leash and consistently "be a tree" the second there is tension on the leash. That and tons of treats to lure them to my left side. I've used this method with dogs of ALL sizes and intensities, and it never fails! Even rowdy adolescent 150 lb Danes are a breeze to walk if you make it clear that they aren't going anywhere with a tight leash.

Khristine

I know this post is a few months old..

My newest puppy Arya (She is a 4.5 month old Dutch Shepherd/German Shepherd with some Great Dane in there lol) is somewhat good on leash (mostly with my husband) but when I walk her, she tends to pull.. sometimes to the point where she's dragging me (i'm tiny 5'0 and 120 but she manages to pull me it's a rather funny sight)

My neighbor has two black labs that he has trained one with a remote collar (she is extremely obedient though) and their new puppy which is 6 months old they use a prong collar because she is just all over the place pulling..and told me to use a prong collar.

Would My dog benefit from using a prong collar? or what would you recommend? When we were out for our walk she also went beserk when she saw a cat and nearly dragged me to the floor LOL :lol-sign::rofl1:

I personally, prefer to use prongs, I find them easier to train a dog not to pull rather then just stopping the dog from pulling. Gage was trained with a prong and now he hardly ever wears it, probably hasn't had it on in 1-1.5 years to be honest. And in the couple years before that I only had to use it if we were going to somewhere with lots of people and dogs, like a street fest or the like, for daily walking he was just fine on a martingale or flat collar.

SpringerLover

I used every tool imaginable on Bailey for years (yes, even a prong). And then I just gave up, or I thought it was giving up.

From her, I learned that when I just don't care, put a harness on and let the dog pull. I still don't allow bunny hop lunging, but I really don't care if the dog pulls. When I do need the dog to walk nicely, I started by clipping the leash to the front o-ring of a Sure-Fit and made sure the change of leash was exaggerated. I did a LOT of switching from back clip to front clip on walks.

She walks pretty well on a leash now and has learned what equipment means what. She wears a head halter in public often but it's not that the head halter did any magic, it's her cue that she's to stick by my side but doesn't need to heel.

It works for us, and it's worked for dogs I've fostered and other dogs I've watched.

I would definitely not use one on a puppy so young. Especially as that is a prime time for some fear stages to be happening and the last thing I would want is the negative association of the prong to transfer to other dogs or people which is not uncommon.

Khristine

I would definitely not use one on a puppy so young. Especially as that is a prime time for some fear stages to be happening and the last thing I would want is the negative association of the prong to transfer to other dogs or people which is not uncommon.
what would you suggest? a harness? (i heard those weren't good for larger breeds, why i don't know. I use harnesses on my smaller 8lb dogs though) planning on going to the pet supply store when my kids get off school.

You can get a no pull harness and that should help definitely. There are all kinds out there. I know the ez walk (I think thats it anyways) often fits danes better upside down but is easily found at most pet stores.

You could also do a simple leash wrap. Basically hook the leash to a flat collar like usual but then take the leash and loop it under them, just behind their front legs and the feed the handle through the right the leash is attached to. Helps give you a bit more control. I could walk my crazy husky mix that would pull straight through a prong with a leash wrap with a lot of control.

Oh shoot i missed the puppy bit, ya don't use a prong on a young pup! Gage was 9 months when I started him on it. ( he was 7 months when I brought him home and hadn't been on a leash before that).

If she young I would try a head collar myself, I like the dogmatic ones, but they are a pita to get in North America.

Members online

No members online now.