Have You Ever Gotten a Dog Off Petfinder?

Have you ever adopted a Petfinder dog?

• Yes!

Votes: 23 30.3%
  • Sorta...(tried but turned down, helped someone else)

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • No...but I adopted another species of pet via Petfinder

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • I adopted a pet who was posted on Petfinder, but that's not how I found them

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Not yet

Votes: 18 23.7%
  • Nope, and I probably won't

Votes: 7 9.2%
  • Hot Apple Cider

Votes: 7 9.2%

• Total voters

Taqroy

Oh, I didn't answer the other questions. I would absolutely adopt from Petfinder again - we had a fantastic experience and I adore Tipper's rescue. I still keep in touch with them and I donate when I can. I will probably not adopt an adult dog without meeting/fostering them first for a VERY long time though. And I have Plans for my next dog who will probably come from a breeder. I will happily enable other people's Petfinder wants though. :p

ETA: I actually posted here when I found her on Petfinder! http://www.chazhound.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2922380

And her Petfinder page is still up. http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/16353610

Toller_08

I've looked at Petfinder a lot, but no, never adopted any listed on there. The dogs we did adopt in the past were from breed rescues and were not listed on Petfinder. If I ever want to adopt again though I will probably look at Petfinder and see what's around. I hear of lots of success stories!

elegy

overdogged
I found Harv on Petfinder, went to meet him, and adopted him.

I got Luce when I went to see another dog that I'd seen on Petfinder but who was no longer there.

Gambit didn't come from Petfinder, but he did come from 1800saveapet, which is similar. How could no one have adopted this precious thing in 4 months?

I don't know that I would do it again, though. I got so screwed over with him, as much as I love him, and I know that it could have been a million times worse. I don't know that I would adopt without fostering first, unless it was coming from a chazzer or someone else I trusted to be completely honest.

monkeys23

Lol! If I thought they would actually consider us, I might go for it. But being military makes a lot of rescues give you the snob nose. ;)
Understandable. Heck being realistic about responsibly managing Northern breeds makes a lot of those rescues give you the snob nose... ;)

Incidentally a foster Malamute from Moonsong here in Boise made her second big escape and is still at large. She slipped her Ruffwear leash I guess. She's one of the Aluk mals from that big bust in MT a year and change ago. Soooo yeah, hopefully she doesn't get hit or whatever before someone finds her.

BostonBanker

Meg was listed on Petfinder, although I didn't see her ad there until later. My friend had an email from the shelter in WV listing all the dogs they wanted transported north, and she pulled Meg based off the stuff there with me in mind.

I'd certainly do it again - Petfinder is just a venue for rescues to get their dogs seen. There are amazing rescues to work with out there, just as there are annoying or terrible ones.

Lyzelle

Understandable. Heck being realistic about responsibly managing Northern breeds makes a lot of those rescues give you the snob nose... ;)

Incidentally a foster Malamute from Moonsong here in Boise made her second big escape and is still at large. She slipped her Ruffwear leash I guess. She's one of the Aluk mals from that big bust in MT a year and change ago. Soooo yeah, hopefully she doesn't get hit or whatever before someone finds her.
Very true. It was actually Moonsong that told me that we needed 3000sqft in order to foster or adopt one of those dogs(and it really was a BIG bust). I love the breeds, love Sibes and Mals...but there are so many people managing them in high places (rescues and breeders) that just make me shake my head. But maybe one day!

I've never adopted dogs from petfinder (the two I have came from the shelter where I was working and they were "just fosters") but most of my foster dogs found their homes via petfinder!

meepitsmeagan

Meagan & The Cattle Dog Crew
Kinda sorta. I knew of a herding dog rescue up in Wyoming and checked their website every once in a while, as well as Petfinder. Rider happened to be up on their website. He was on Petfinder, but was fostered in Montana, so he never showed up on my searches.

So yes and no.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I would rescue again. If I did, it would have to be a puppy (may do so for the next Boxer). I just don't seem to do well with adult dogs in the house that I have not raised. I'm happy with him, but he's not the dog that I was originally looking for. I will definitely only go breeder route from now on for our "performance" dogs.

misfitz

Ruddy Buttinski
I haven't and probably wouldn't. All of the shelters here use Petharbor, and most don't update their Petfinder info very much or often. I found my cat on Petharbor, and Sienna I met at an adoption event...where I was volunteering...and she was supposed to be a foster. :)

I found my friend's two cats on Petharbor, but by going through the shelter's website. Actually that's how I found George (my cat), too - from the shelter's page.

My next dog will probably be from a breeder, but I also plan to foster and will probably find the fosters either through the rescue or on the shelter's website.

I adopted a dog from Petfinder, Casper my Dogo. Also adopted a dog from petfinder classifieds when they had them. Plus Ronon and Joey were both on Petfinder but that was not how I found them.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
I haven't and probably wouldn't. All of the shelters here use Petharbor, and most don't update their Petfinder info very much or often. I found my cat on Petharbor, and Sienna I met at an adoption event...where I was volunteering...and she was supposed to be a foster. :)
Just off of what you said, not specifically at this organization or you, but PetFinder is weird in which it just takes animals off your website. So like, if you post a dog for adoption, it gets sent to petfinder as well. I discovered this when we were suddenly getting questions about ferrets that had passed away, but were apparently "just posted on petfinder!" :rofl1: It was a case of our website hadn't been updated, and when we DID update, it all got sent to petfinder. So, if they're not updating the profiles, it's totally possible that they're not even POSTING those profiles to begin with, so they don't think to update it :p

Sit Stay

Not a Border Collie
I voted "not yet" but should have voted "sorta". Quinn had a cousin show up on PF (a known BC/ES cross) and we were in contact with the shelter and considering adopting him. He found a wonderful home though not long after intake.

Both of my dogs were listed on Petfinder, but I found them through volunteering for the rescue that had them.

I have no clue where my next dog is coming from, but I would be totally open to getting a dog off of Petfinder.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
No dogs from petfinder, but that is how I adopted my Guinea Pigs. And I wouldn't hesitate to adopt off of petfinder for a dog or cat, either.

Flyinsbt

I've never adopted a dog off of Petfinder but I could, I wouldn't say yes or no to ever doing so. Therefore, I voted for "hot apple cider" in the poll.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
I haven't gotten a dog off Petfinder, but I did get one of my guinea pigs from Petfinder. Saw an adorable Abyssinian mix piggie on a shelter's Petfinder site and I was like "I MUST have that guinea pig!" and so I adopted him. That was two years ago I think.

Members online

No members online now.