Corgis as puppies...?

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
What are they like? Do they try to herd you like other herder puppies? Do they nip? Are they really mouthy? Are they big barkers?

What about training...those of you that have had them, are they easy to house train or do they take some effort?

Socializing...do they need more or less then other breeds in your experience? If they do need more, what did you do to socialize your puppy?

Is there a big difference between the sexes?

Are there any other quirks that someone *ahem* who is considering a corgi puppy would want to know about? ;)

pawzaddict

My aunt just got one, she has a border collie who is a bit temperamental with other dogs and does fine with the pup. She said the pup tries to "herd" her collie but all in play. Hope somebody else can help you more :)

corgi_love

I'll speak on behalf of 3 month old Regis, because that's the age he was when we got him:
I don't recall him ever trying to herd anything. I think he was too busy being herded by my Collie!

He was not mouthy or nipped. He did when we first got him because he wasn't trained otherwise, and once he got the idea that nipping meant no play and a firm "no bite!" he stopped. I've never had a problem with Regis in that sense.

I really worked my butt off to socialize Regis, probably a lot more than was necessary! When I had him while living at home, I had two other dogs. I also took him to the (small dog side) dog park almost everyday, it's still his most favorite thing. When I moved out, I was right behind an outdoor mall that was dog friendly, so I'd take him allll the time. He is so different looking that he got tons of attention(cars stopped to see him!). So I never had problems with socializing either!

Things you should know.. crazy corgi moments.. Sometimes Regis would be just hanging out, laying around and the next he was running in circles around my place as fast as he could for a good while! It's so random! Now that I have Kyrie, he just rushes over to her and swiftly starts a big play fight and they run around together.

I also find that Regis is up for anything. He can lay around and veg out all day, or he can be active with me all day. Whatever I feel like doing, Regis is down for it! Kyrie.. not so much, LOL! She likes to nap most of the day away :lol-sign:

He is definitely is a lot happier being in a home with more than just one dog. This may just be him, though. But I found when I had my other corgi(looong story) he was SO much happier at home and when she had to be returned about a week later, he was so unhappy ): I just felt awful for him. Now that we have Kyrie, he's so happy. He loves to have a constant playmate, and another dog to cuddle with. Both dogs sleep in one HUGE crate and there is enough room for each of them to sleep away from eachother, but Regis always goes right up to Kyrie and lays on her. They are almost always cuddled up together if they aren't playing :)

Good luck!!! Corgi's are AWESOME! :)

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
AWWWW!

thanks guys!!!

I got to meet a 9 month old cardi girl about two weeks ago and I fell in love with her. Her name was Uno.

They don't sound any different from any other puppy, really. :)

xpaeanx

AWWWW!

thanks guys!!!

I got to meet a 9 month old cardi girl about two weeks ago and I fell in love with her. Her name was Uno.

They don't sound any different from any other puppy, really. :)
I don't think they are different really...

I don't have a cardi, so I can't speak from that...

and I got my pem pup as an older pup.... and he was actually a really easy puppy for the most part.

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
What are they like? Do they try to herd you like other herder puppies? Do they nip? Are they really mouthy? Are they big barkers?

They might try to herd you, but a little bit of training should stop that. They can be mouthy and nippy. They do like to play bite a lot. Again, training will help. Barking? Ares wasn't bad, Morgan was - and still is - a barker. Some are quite vocal, others not so much.

What about training...those of you that have had them, are they easy to house train or do they take some effort?

IME, they're usually pretty easy to house train. Morgan was a bit difficult to potty train, but she had medical issues going on.

Socializing...do they need more or less then other breeds in your experience? If they do need more, what did you do to socialize your puppy?

More or less than what?? All puppies should be socialized about the same. The end result might be different -- pemmies tend to be pretty outgoing with strangers. Many other herding breeds are reserved.

Is there a big difference between the sexes?

The girls can very much be...um...bitches. ;) When I got Morgan, I was cautioned about corgi bitches and eye rolling...LOL...yea, she rolls her eyes right before all hell breaks loose. :p The boys tend to be a little easier ~ more cooperative and less opionated.

Are there any other quirks that someone *ahem* who is considering a corgi puppy would want to know about? ;)
They are comedians. The class clown. They do like to zoom. They tend to wag their tail harder for strangers than for their owner -- they gotta suck them in, then they show their true colors. :cool: They are very clever and don't underestimate those short legs of theirs. They can find ways to get onto tables and counters.

And one is never enough.

There is nothing in the world cuter than a corgi puppy. :D

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Yeah, that's pretty much what I got from meeting Uno, LOL! Gosh she was sooooooo cute and just...a clown...

She would grab her toy and bring it to me and let me take it out of her mouth. But, as soon as I took it from her, she play bowed and made these...noises...that sort of sounded like a mix between laughter and a baby crying. Strangest thing I've ever heard, but the breeder said that Corgis are very vocal.

She said that was Uno's way of telling me she liked me and wanted to play. I happily obliged her!!!

Just to explain my socialization question, I know that some breeds require a little extra to get them properly socialized. I just didn't know of corgis were one of them. Aussies can be reserved even if they are properly socialized. :)

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
noises...that sort of sounded like a mix between laughter and a baby crying. Strangest thing I've ever heard, but the breeder said that Corgis are very vocal.
Corgis do have a few noises that are unique to the breed. :lol-sign:

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
LOL!

How funny is that that they roll their eyes???? Yeah, the breeder said that the girls are def. a bit more dominant then the boys. She said that at least in the cardis, due to the smaller size of the females as well as their intensity that they often perform a bit better in the agility ring because they are very focused and faster then the males.

However, she said that she does know male corgis that do very well. Deco, who is a georgeous merle fluffy, is quite good at agility...for a corgi, LOL:)

Members online

No members online now.