So this Daizy thing........

Mach1girl

Obviously it is not that mutant gene that everyone thought it was.................I am seriously believeing it is an injury of some sort that has left her like this.

This amazing little bit, and I may have said it before.....motor skills are what directs a babies hand to pick up finger food or a toy and bring it to ones mouth..right??

Daizy has perfect aim with her feet and legs. If you put your hand up, she will give you high five and not miss-If you run your fingers over the floor, she will bat at them and hit them every time.

That tells me her motor skills are ok.Well, most of them.

She had to have suffered an injury.

When the pups were 2 days old, hubby was in the kitchen getting a drink, and he heard a puppy scream and a loud pop, but when he ran over to look, everyone was quiet and nursinh. Ya think??Dixie was still very new at mommahood, and kept rearranging them, maybe she did something on accident!

Anyway, called the vet and the nuerologist, they of course agree. Funny, I think from what I have learned from this experience, I could become a nuerologist for animals!!!! Seems I have been the one researching everything non stop not them! They just go along with what I say!

Mach1girl

I have read all about the swimmer puppy thing, some resembles and some doesnt. She isnt barrell chested, and arent swimmer puppies hard to keep alive?There were no problems there, no extra care required. She never really resembled swimming, just goose stepping....but ya never know!

Mach1girl

Great links Red, but not really Daizy.

What does it take to become a vet??Lol, ya know the web is such a huge place, yet many times you cannot find what you need!!!Imagine that??!!

doberkim

Naturally Natural
You saw a neurologist didn't you?

It does not sound like an injury - why would it not be a mutant gene?
Some dogs just have cerebellar problems. It's not an injury (if it was an injury that caused neurological damange, she would have had to have been severely hurt and it would have been obvious).

Neurology is a complicated field and the signs do not always make sense to everyone observing them. Without doing further diagnostics, which I believe you have already turned down, it's hard to say. BUt didn't the neurologist diagnose her with a cerebellar disease????

Mach1girl

Yes, the nuerologist diagnosed her with cellebrum ataxia, ONLY because they were at a loss totally and I found out info on the net myself.

They did xrays, but they were cloudy, and did not want to expose her due to her condition, she was very restless for them and cannot be sedated(worsens any nuero problem)The gene cannot be tested for.

The injury happened, if it was, at about 3 or 4 days old.

AND~ Everyone and everything I have seen says that a DISEASE Especially a genetic one the dog CANNOT learn to comepnsate???!!!

JennSLK

F150 and a .30-06
Didnt you say she may have had oxygen deprovision at birth? That could cause brain damage

Mach1girl

Yes, that could have caused it. Dixie had trouble with the bag, that only took maybe 30-50 seconds.............................think that short of time may have done it???

Poor girl, but I hope she doesnt get too heavy, that will be the ONLY thing that stops her.....

Brattina88

Its so hard for owners when the vets can't even figure out what's wrong! I have a lot of respect for you keeping this puppy for yourself because of her problems, that kind of responsibility is what all dog owners need, but rarely do. Please keep us updated on Diazy, do you have recent pics in another thread I may have missed? If not, we'd love to see some!

Reading this thread made me wonder if you are changing your mind and might be reconsidering breeding again ??

bubbatd

I doubt if that short of time could have caused it.... especially if the cord was still attached. I had pups that I worked on that long before they breathed...they were fine. My guess would be ( since you heard a yelp ) that Mom's elbow came down hard and injured a nerve.

Last edited:
It sounds as though whatever happened to little Daizy hasn't fazed her much. She's a special one, and you will always be happy that you kept her, no matter what the future brings.

Members online

No members online now.