Annoyance

Shai

& the Muttly Crew
Yesterday was our first good woods trail run of the season. I love running on dirt, but during the spring melt the trails become slick swampy messes and after seeing how much work trail caretakers put into keeping such trails nice, I try to stay off them when they are in such a state.

I don't know how much folks here know of Webster's history but the relevant bit is that he is not particularly good at dog-dog interactions. He's not dangerous, but he's an idiot if given the chance. These trails are wide and on-leash-only which works great for managing him...or would if people used their heads.

I took all three, which I only do during the week since there is less traffic. On weekends there is a lot of squeezing throug crowds and dogs and all that so I usually only bring the girls or Webster as a solo dog so he's easily managed.

We came around a turn and saw two people were walking toward us, one with a Basset and the other with some sort of molosser looking dog. I slowed to a walk then, as they approached and the molosser was straining at the end of his leash, stepped off the side of the trail and put all three in a sit. The trail here was over eight feet wide, but the gal with the molosser didn't even bother trying to get her dog's head and he got all up in Webster's grill, enough to shove Web sideways with his head. Webster was upset and growled fast and loud. I couldn't step between as I normally would and just focused on keeping everyone with me. Mira and Kim were upset that Web was upset and both glared at the molosser.

The people blithely continued down the trail, dragging the molosser with them, completely oblivious. Webster relaxed as soon as the dog was pointing the other way, and the girls had already lost interest, Mira trying to talk me into letting her jump in the river, and Kim watching a squirrel dart through the brush.

It wasn't really a big deal, I guess. Which is to say, nothing came of it. It's just so frustrating when people are idiots. I'm sure the next time I'm out there with Web we are going to have to start over again with the idea that yes, I will protect you from idiots. No, the best defense is NOT a showy offense. Yes, staying focused on me is your best option, etc. We've done it before and we'll have to do it again, I am sure.

/rant

UGH! That would have had me fuming too. It seems like the first few incidents in spring just rub you harder than the rest of the year. I think it's because we all forget what people are like over the winter and by summer we're back to being resigned.

But yeah, poor you and poor Webster. It scares me the amount of inattention people have when walking on trails especially when they have dogs. I don't know if it's a don't notice or a don't care and I'm not sure which is better or worse.

I also just don't get the idea that letting your dog get all up in another dogs business when someone is going by, standing there or whatever. I mean, at least ask or acknowledge the person. Don't assume the getting off the path or leaning as far away as possible means "Really, try harder. That's exactly what I want."

I love the people when I'm biking that are walking ahead of me and taking up the giant path (like yours) and I'll say "On your left!" And they'll move like half an inch. Really? You need the WHOLE path? But I will say, when you zoom by with a dog pulling you and they jump a foot in the air because they weren't expecting that they move over a lot nicer the next "on your left!"

I'm sorry you had that while out for your run, hopefully if you see them again you can yell ahead something to bring them out of their stupor.

SaraB

So frustrating!! I'm really not looking forward to summer for that reason, I like my solitary winters when nobody else is brave enough to endure the outdoors.

DJEtzel

Guh, don't remind me! :(

This happens to us all the time when out and about and frequently they are just loose dogs that I have to shoo away as I'm yelling at the owners to gain control of the situation.

I was pleasantly surprised the other day while walking with meepitsmeagan and two of her dogs with Sir and Recon... We saw a couple with two dogs walking in our direction from about a quarter mile down the trail, and leashed up our two that were off to walk by.. The other two dogs were off leash as well; labby looking. I expected to have an issue with them charging us, but instead, we stopped to wait for them to pass (because Recon and Sir aren't too good at walking and ignoring, yet) and they had leashed up their dogs as well, greeted us, and passed without issue. I was so relieved! That never happens to me! :D

Snark

Mutts to you
Yeah, it's amazing how clueless some people are...

I was scootering with Riley last fall and had some guy leash his little white fluffy dog before we passed, which I thought was nice, until about a 100 yards past and found the guy had let his dog loose again and it was chasing us.

Stupid little thing kept going after Riley, and you know he would have been blamed if that little dog got hurt. It took me keeping the scooter between the dog and Riley, and Sis having to get off her bike and yell at/chase the idiot dog to get it to go back to its owner. Aggravating since there are signs EVERYWHERE in the park saying all dogs must be leashed.

Members online

No members online now.