Anyone Own Pet Based Businesses?

sillysally

Obey the Toad.
I have wanted to start a pet sitting business for a while, but had not done it yet for a few reasons (not really having a back up person in case of an emergency, not having much flexibility for vacations, etc).

I recently had the idea of partnering with a close friend who has extensive pet experience. We have not decided anything for sure, but are pro and coning the idea this weekend.

For those with pet based businesses, is there anything I should know before going into this?

crazedACD

Both home dog sitting jobs I did for friends, ended up badly. The first was with a non housebroken lab puppy, they didn't use a crate, and he made a royal mess with me only coming by a few times a day. He also chewed some expensive computer stuff and I felt really bad, though it wasn't really my fault.

I house sat an adult lab that ended up nailing my arm when I was letting him out. Not good.

Some people enjoy it though, just check and see what kind of competition you have in the area.

Kilter

If you can deal with silly, goofy dog owners demanding things then that's a plus. Also different dogs and their attitudes. And be your own boss and set clear boundries....

I do dog training, and some of the nutcases would make you quit if there were more of them. I also dogsit from time to time and that has been much better, other than a GSD.

You would be busy at peak holiday times, long weekends, Easter and Christmas, if that doesn't bother you then you can plan to go away on non peak times. It's often feast or famine too, so if you can work around that....

JacksonsMom

So odd you started this thread. I was JUST about to start one like it. I am on my phone now though so I'll type more later.

Members online

No members online now.