How a Fila puppy clears a room

Barbara!

Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...
Yeah, I'm not sure why everyone got their panties in a wad, either.

Loosen up, Chazhound, she was just sharing an experience. Geez.

Danefied

And if it is your definition of a double standard I don't care - but I won't discredit her over this one time. If however I witness other episodes of ill behavior from her - trust me, I will be just as 'harsh' on her and her person as I have been on smaller dogs in previous threads.
If you say/believe I have a double standard then that's completely fine
Here we go with the “my†definition vs. “your†definition. The attitude you are posting with is THE definition of a double standard!

You have excused the exact same behavior in a Fila that you condemned in a little dog. Every excuse and explanation you made for the Fila and her owner could have just as easily applied to the little dogs and rescue dogs yet didn’t.

You do have a double standard and it is in no way “fine".
Double standards are the things breedism, racism, sexism, bigotry and general intolerance and hate are born of, and not okay no mater how you try to cloak them.

BostonBanker

Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
You know because he didn't *leave*. If either one of my dogs (rescues, believe it or not) charged across a store barking, I'd be red faced and out the door in half a second. If my dogs knocked over an entire container of treats, I'd be bolting for the car with the dogs, and then coming back to pay for a new bag of treats to fill the container.

I have a huge double standard with dogs. If you own one big enough to cause serious physical damage to me or my dogs, it better be towing the line full time. I don't care if it is a LGD who is bred to be independent, or a Majickal Brazilian Fila who clearly belongs to its own species and gets a whole special level of behaviors.

Ahem, I said - "if you think I have a double standard then fine." as in "fine, if you think I do have one then so be it - I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise if you think I do.". You're entitled to think whatever you like about me - it's not my job to chase after you and convince you that I'm up to your moral/ethical standard. That's all.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
ETA: I'm sure everybody read the "something unusual" part of the post, but the fact that you posted it all LOL GUYS GUESS WHAT THIS DOG DID LOL is what people are reacting to ;)
Oh yep. If it were one of the other groups of dogs, would you have posted it in this way?

Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...

I don't think we're overreacting. The OP has had several threads about how people should never have dogs that aren't under control. Those little ankle biters are horrible. Rescue dog owners just make excuses for their dog's behavior.

Oh hey guys this fila is so silly when it's dragging people around a store and reactively barking at everyone! Aren't filas unique?

Sorry for calling out a blatant double standard.

And other people were just sharing their opinions. :) If one is gonna dish it out about rescues and small dogs, one should be prepared to take it when it comes to large breeds.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy

The reaction is to the repeated threads of the similar nature "my opinion is more valid than yours, even if it is a double standard generalization and insulting to others".

I would like to think this was a fun thread, seriously, but I'm not sure how this is anything about FILAs. I mean, I have a lab who barges into my work like this, she's there to be trained out of such horrific behavior, not smiled or seen as special because of her breed. I also have a schnauzer who does this and finally I told the owner she must get that under control or she'll never be able to trial in agility, it's a rude and obnoxious dog that looks vicious, it would be asked to leave a trial before it ever hit the ring.

It's bad dog behavior, not lab, not terrier, not fila behavior. It must be dealt with and not humored as such.

Given the choice Shamoo would act like it everywhere, she loves to bellow at people and she would drag me to every treat everywhere. She is a pit bull, can you imagine the horror people would have seeing that?

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
I'd be so embarrassed if ANY of my dogs acted like that. Going into a petstore/doggy bakery is a reward for good behavior. If any of my dogs ever acted like my dogs, I would immediately leave the store. It's not cute or funny- it's BAD behavior, no matter what the breed is.

Your posts are full of double standards. Small dogs are badly behaved ankle biters. Filas are these magical, hilarious dogs when they're acting inappropriately in stores. If one of my chihuahuas were to do that, this thread would be entirely different.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug

The reason this bothers me is that I've worked on the public side of the pet industry for about 5 years now and behaviour like the dog is showing appals me. Yes kicking out a customer is a potential sales loss, but I need to look out for the safety of EVERYONE in my store not to mention keeping my stock undamaged; because if those customers leave because of being "roared" at by a Fila or any other dog or my stock is damaged because the dog helps them self to it, that's money lost too. I can tell you right now that if this was not a Fila but still a dog she knew, she wouldn't be as forgiving. Or if it was a child even.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
The reason this bothers me is that I've worked on the public side of the pet industry for about 5 years now and behaviour like the dog is showing appals me. Yes kicking out a customer is a potential sales loss, but I need to look out for the safety of EVERYONE in my store not to mention keeping my stock undamaged; because if those customers leave because of being "roared" at by a Fila or any other dog or my stock is damaged because the dog helps them self to it, that's money lost too. I can tell you right now that if this was not a Fila but still a dog she knew, she wouldn't be as forgiving. Or if it was a child even.
It's okay because it's a fila, though. They're real dogs- same with all the guardian breeds.

If a toy breed were to do this, they'd just be typical little hellion ankle biters.

ACooper

The reason this bothers me is that I've worked on the public side of the pet industry for about 5 years now and behaviour like the dog is showing appals me. ...............
I've never worked in the pet public and any time I see that kind of behavior I'm appalled.......and no, I don't care if it's a yorkie, doberman or mastiff.

If your pup is in training......train. Letting any dog run rampant is NOT helping any sort of training you may or may not be working on else where.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
It's okay because it's a fila, though. They're real dogs- same with all the guardian breeds.

If a toy breed were to do this, they'd just be typical little hellion ankle biters.
Well DUH. It's only ok for the mythical and much exaggerated Real Dogs. When Chihuahuas do it, they're spoiled. And forget that sheepdog of yours, he'd be neurotic and hyper. LOL

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Stephy, I do hope you understand it's not a frustration or dislike with you as a person but instead these labels and standards you're presenting.

In this case this kind of behavior, condoned or not, when labeled as a breed can easily encourage fear of the breed. A healthy respect, perfect. Most people should never consider owning a Fila. Fear? Not so ideal. Fear breeds breed bans.

On a related note I was extremely cautious with a few of filas at the training kennel I worked at as a kid, that kind of behavior left unmanaged spells for danger, ime. I do hope it was a single event, I would have turned heel and walked out to work on our manners outside, but if it is not I hope the owner gets the help they need. I have seen how intense those dogs can be when they feel the need and it's upon their handlers to distinguish need.

~Jessie~

Chihuahua Power!
Well DUH. It's only ok for the mythical and much exaggerated Real Dogs. When Chihuahuas do it, they're spoiled. And forget that sheepdog of yours, he'd be neurotic and hyper. LOL
It's just that fila sense of humor. They are smarter than any person and it's just so adorable to watch them block aisles and eat all of the treats.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Aeri and Snipe want to be Filas, too - their mean owner won't give them a pass on behavior because they are both about to go into heat!

Gypsydals

WAY, WAY to many things could go wrong in a pet store with a dog behaving like that. I would not allow that kind of behavior in one of my boys. Then again I rarely take them to the pet stores. Too many bad experiences have happened in them. Too many illbehaved children running amok to illbehaved dogs similar to the one above.

ACooper

......Too many illbehaved children .......
Ha! Don't leave out the 'ill behaved' ADULTS!

We used to do the pet supply stores often, but I just don't even want to anymore. Kids and other dogs, I expect that........but when you have full grown MORONS who act like they've never seen a dog before, crowd in and want to touch even though you tell them NO THANKS, act like you are a selfish bitch and get huffy, well, it's just too much for me.

adojrts

To be hoenst I have a double standard. I feel less nervous around small dogs acting out versus big ones. Why? you can pick that rude little dude up quite easily. A dog as large as a fila? That isn't exactly an option. While I dont like any rude dogs I am hoenstly more appalled when people allow big dogs to do it because physically restraining htem is a lot more difficult
Agreed, and the reason we see a lot more smaller dogs in public that are out of control is because many of the owners of large out of control dogs don't take them into public. Doesn't mean that all owners of large dogs invest in their dogs, train them and have them under control.........

Members online

No members online now.