How a Fila puppy clears a room

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
No, still not fair.

If your criteria is going to be consistent bad behavior, the Fila showed consistency by repeated barking and screaming at everyone and everything in several separated incidents. That to me is consistent bad behavior. One episode? Maybe. Repeated episodes without removing the dog from the store? That’s consistency.

If your criteria is owners not doing anything to correct the rude behavior, ditto. Your description has nothing about the handler attempting to correct anything. In fact he allowed it to continue until people moved out of the dog’s way.

If your criteria is an attempt to teach the dog how to behave, again I see that missing here too.

Its really the same thing, no matter how you try to paint it. Fila acting like a butt = cute. Little dog acting like a butt = reactive, snappy, annoying PITA.
Double standard.
Oh good, it's not just me thinking that. I'd add more but you stated it pretty perfectly imo.

Sorry - when I meant 'incident' I meant it as a whole; this particular time at the store, this day etc. Not a fit of barking = an episode in and of itself.

Again - I don't know what was/is going on in her situation. If she was coming from a stressful experience earlier, if her handler was having trouble with something before going into the shop and so on. So I can't say - and her owner is a fairly knowledgeable, competent, and solid handler so I really can't discredit him or the dog personally based on this incident (again - as a whole).

As for having a double standard - most of the dogs that are problematic/unpleasant around here are indeed on the smaller side. I'm not going to say that that doesn't have anything to do with my opinions but I try to be as fair/moderate as I can. Most of the smaller dogs I had run in's with previously have been badly managed and poorly controlled by their owners on every occasion - this Fila in question has been a great dog every other time I've seen her - like I said I can't discredit either her or her handler based on this one incident (as a whole, again.). I haven't discredited small dog owners at first sight either - it's been time and time and time and time and time and time again - they even had acknowledged that their dogs had issues yet didn't do a thing about it.

How do I know that what happened today didn't deeply shock/upset her owner? how do I know if they aren't working on issues surrounding this type of behavior? how do I know if this was an isolated "incident" or a normal recurrence? how do I know if she has reactivity issues in certain settings and it's still a work in progress? I do NOT. I do commend small dog owners that train them properly and hold their behavior to good standards as I do dog owners in general. I am critical of smaller dog owners that let their canines run amok just as I am of larger dog/LGD owners whom allow that to happen as well. But funnily - most of the LGD's/Giant breeds I meet around here have been excellently behaved (from what I have seen of them) - Gisela is no exception. And if it is your definition of a double standard I don't care - but I won't discredit her over this one time. If however I witness other episodes of ill behavior from her - trust me, I will be just as 'harsh' on her and her person as I have been on smaller dogs in previous threads.

No, still not fair.

If your criteria is going to be consistent bad behavior, the Fila showed consistency by repeated barking and screaming at everyone and everything in several separated incidents. That to me is consistent bad behavior. One episode? Maybe. Repeated episodes without removing the dog from the store? That’s consistency.

If your criteria is owners not doing anything to correct the rude behavior, ditto. Your description has nothing about the handler attempting to correct anything. In fact he allowed it to continue until people moved out of the dog’s way.

If your criteria is an attempt to teach the dog how to behave, again I see that missing here too.

Its really the same thing, no matter how you try to paint it. Fila acting like a butt = cute. Little dog acting like a butt = reactive, snappy, annoying PITA.
Double standard.
Fran,

Those smaller dogs were just improperly managed - one of them in question's owner actually admitted to me that he liked to behave in that sort of a manner (snappy, reactive, growly, aggressive) but she went ahead and indulged him. This is a great deal of the issues surrounding smaller dog problems locally - I can't speak for your town or your experiences but this is what I see and know firsthand. This is the community around here, this is the attitude/handling style they have - nearly 90% of the owners of those dogs I mentioned previously were just very indulgent/lax. Their dogs don't usually have any impediments except for those indulgent owners. As for possibility of behavioral issues...they are often nurtured/encouraged by their handlers. Most of the ones I see have been anyways.

Last edited:

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
Basically you have a double standard. Yay!

Empathy for big dogs [that you know] and no patience for small dogs.

This sounds strangely familiar to another thread of yours.

But what can we say, you've made it a point to shake it up, consider things shook. ;)

Red Chrome

But what can we say, you've made it a point to shake it up, consider things shook. ;)
:hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail:

I personally hate double standards and TRY to hold everyone to the same standards!! It doesn't always happen but we can all try.

If this had happened in front of me, I would have tried to educate the guy about training or something. That is just unacceptable.

Adrienne,

If you say/believe I have a double standard then that's completely fine - I just want to say this though -

It's very difficult to have patience with a dog that is a public menace, has issues that the owner does nothing to curb or correct but may even encourage, and the fact that their handler also thinks that nothing is wrong with their bad behavior. It just so happens it's more so the small dogs around these parts that are so inclined in that manner versus the larger ones. It wasn't one or even two incidents with these dogs in question that I previously wrote about - it's happened SO many times and well...yes if you like, my patience has dulled as a result.

I have no patience equally for larger dogs that have harassed us around the neighborhood whom's handlers have that same sort of attitude applied to the smaller dogs.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I genuinely don't want to see another thread turned to something unpleasant but it's something to note and maybe learn from.

While some individuals are judge able I'd be hesitant to judge a group, look, type, color because you'll be shocked how off you can be and then you'll look silly.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
I still don't understand how you can assume this is okay.

I've never met an XYZ race that I liked so they must all be bad.

No? Generalizing is wrong?

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Let's not forget those unmannerly rescue dogs either!

"He was just about to be killed when the rescue pulled him - he's really been thru hell and back..." - I've heard exactly this and variations of this in reference to people's smaller rescue dogs. It may very well be the truth but it has sounded equally frequently like an excuse. To not train them, teach them, for not having them under total control, for misbehavior, for letting them slack on basic manners. I'm not saying that rescue dogs or rescuing them is a bad thing - I'm saying that people need to get their heads out of their as$es pronto and get their sh!t together and dogs in line - regardless of them being teacup or giant, high kill shelter rescue or bred and bought. Larger rescues are no exception either.
Too many people are just under-informed then I suppose. What do they think they should do though - between having a dog that is out of control and wild and thinking that cruel training methods are the only way to go? I take the example of Sylvia Bishop into account now - when she started out it was the age of aversion, chokes, and beatings - she was unsatisfied with such methods and improvised her own...to pretty good success if I do say so myself. Not everyone has to be a master trainer - but at least do some research and take some initiative. IMO there is ZERO excuse or reason to have no control over your dog or for your dog to have no basic education.
I could go on pulling quotes from your other threads.

But if it's a fila....

Yeah I'm still just seeing a double standard here.

JessLough

Love My Mutt

Don't forget, no patience for rescue dogs, either!

Adrienne,

If you say/believe I have a double standard then that's completely fine - I just want to say this though -

It's very difficult to have patience with a dog that is a public menace, has issues that the owner does nothing to curb or correct but may even encourage, and the fact that their handler also thinks that nothing is wrong with their bad behavior. It just so happens it's more so the small dogs around these parts that are so inclined in that manner versus the larger ones. It wasn't one or even two incidents with these dogs in question that I previously wrote about - it's happened SO many times and well...yes if you like, my patience has dulled as a result.

I have no patience equally for larger dogs that have harassed us around the neighborhood whom's handlers have that same sort of attitude applied to the smaller dogs.
You just described the Fila in that store. How do we know the owner wasn't mortified? BECAUSE HE LET THE DOG GO THROUGH THE STORE DOING THAT, go back out to the store doing that, and then steal all the treats that did not belong to the owner. NO owner who thinks this is bad would allow that.

Let's not forget those unmannerly rescue dogs either!

I could go on pulling quotes from your other threads.

But if it's a fila....

Yeah I'm still just seeing a double standard here.
Yep. Of course!

ETA: Also, if I was there, that dog would not have been making me move, and the owner would have had a good mouthful from me and asked to leave.

Upendi&Mina

Mainstreme Elitist
I will just say I would die of embarrassment if any of my dogs acted like that. I find nothing funny or cute about it, it sounds like a situation that could have went even worse than it did very quickly.

Laur,

Ah, that was about the demographic of rescue dogs and their owners not following through with their training/education. From the time they got them home to taking them out in public - it was really what I saw of them. And they were mostly being allowed to continue on in the way that they were just because they were rescues/from a particular background. They were allowed/encouraged to continue in fact (in some cases).

This was an isolated incident (or at least I consider it to be) - I haven't seen her behave in that manner any time before (did no one see 'she did something unusual' in my original post?) and knowing her and her handler it was just really out of place with what I'd seen of her previously (who knows - I could have caught her at her rare good moments and today was how she usually is). I did NOT call her behavior today good or bad - but again, (from what I know and have seen) she is a good dog and I won't discredit her based on today. Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Laur,

Ah, that was about the demographic of rescue dogs and their owners not following through with their training/education. From the time they got them home to taking them out in public - it was really what I saw of them. And they were mostly being allowed to continue on in the way that they were just because they were rescues/from a particular background. They were allowed/encouraged to continue in fact (in some cases).

This was an isolated incident (or at least I consider it to be) - I haven't seen her behave in that manner any time before (did no one see 'she did something unusual' in my original post?) and knowing her and her handler it was just really out of place with what I'd seen of her previously (who knows - I could have caught her at her rare good moments and today was how she usually is). I did NOT call her behavior today good or bad - but again, (from what I know and have seen) she is a good dog and I won't discredit her based on today. Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again? I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
Oh... so you see every single moment of the small dogs and rescue dogs? You absolutely know that they weren't freaked out by something? You see them 24/7 to be sure of this?

ETA: I'm sure everybody read the "something unusual" part of the post, but the fact that you posted it all LOL GUYS GUESS WHAT THIS DOG DID LOL is what people are reacting to ;)

Grab

I can only guess that the owner was ok with it since he let her drag him both to the items of her choice and then through a line of people at the checkout... I know that the minute my dog did something like that we'd turn and head out.

Hell, if my toddler gets loud (and he does from time to time...21 month olds don't have volume control sometimes) we leave as well.

Again - how do I know if her handler wasn't deeply upset by this incident or that it wasn't just something she was fearful of/freaked out by and that they aren't working on making sure that it doesn't happen again?
Well generally when I am deeply upset by an incident with my dogs I apologize to the people around me who are barked at or bum-rushed. And I don't know many fearful/freaked out dogs who knock over an entire container of treats onto the floor and scarf them up.

I don't. It's not the benefit of the doubt to me but rather that I do not have enough 'evidence' to say that she's horrible.
No one is saying SHE is horrible. But her BEHAVIOR was beyond horrible, and it was allowed to continue without any apparent attempt to stop or modify it (by your own description of the incident). So it's kind of weird to me that you're waiting and waiting for evidence that seems to be plainly there, and honestly I do think your reaction would have been different had it been a small dog, even one you had never met before.

First, I hope he gets a handle on that behavior. And yes, Filas have a weird sense of humor and have to learn where and when is definitely the wrong time to indulge it. Sounds like she was being a brat and enjoying the attention.

Second, what you've described also sounds like she may be in the early stages of coming into heat. They get really strange. Goofball in one moment and a nanosecond later something different. It can be a roller coaster when they're young and haven't developed a sense of decorum, and you MUST help them learn by discouraging wild behavior in public. Usually I've found a "whatthehellwasthatallabout" gets things back in line, but in the beginning sometimes it takes a nose to snout conversation or two.

I hope he gets a handle on it. Have to wonder if it isn't sometimes more difficult for a man to raise a female Fila. Fila PMS is . . . well, it can get intense.

Paige

Let it be
To be hoenst I have a double standard. I feel less nervous around small dogs acting out versus big ones. Why? you can pick that rude little dude up quite easily. A dog as large as a fila? That isn't exactly an option. While I dont like any rude dogs I am hoenstly more appalled when people allow big dogs to do it because physically restraining htem is a lot more difficult

Tazwell

Wow. I can't believe how critical this thread became so quickly... When I read it, I thought the behavior sounded way out of hand, but it just seemed like you were pointing out the slightly strange mannerisms of a fila! I figured you were less critical because you know the dog personally...

Members online

No members online now.