It's getting closer

B

BigDogs

BabyGirl is the rescue. Lab/pitbull mix. The daddy, Jaws, is pitbull, (APBT?)...50 lbs, big head, cute and playful.
BabyGirl went out to potty this morning, but hasn't eaten yet. Just have to watch her and see.

B

BigDogs

...of course, the reality is that none of us know for absolute certainty that Jaws is the daddy. They were found together in a garage, but there is always the possibility that there might have been some other dog involved. But even if he is the daddy, it is still a fun project.

Part of the fun is not knowing what the pups will look like until they get here. Pitbulls can come in practically any colors, and not knowing mama's and daddy's heritage, almost anything is possible. If there is any particularly cute or original or unusual one, I would consider keeping it.

Izzy's Valkyrie

Very Food Agressive
Ohhh if you keep one, you should have a contest to name it! DSA (DogStarAcademy) Said she's let the person to correctly guess whelp time name one of the pups, you could do it that way :) Good luck regardless!

B

BigDogs

I'm really thinking about just using a well padded cage for whelping, or she might prefer my closet. LOL Chances are, I might just walk into the room and find mama and puppies on the sofa or something. It looks like she's already had several litters and I suspect that these pups are just going to pop out quickly.
She wasn't eating this morning, but was chewing on a bone. I will have to find the thermometer and take her temp today. (I'm so laid back and relaxed about this....)

darkchild16

We are Home.
I'm really thinking about just using a well padded cage for whelping, or she might prefer my closet. LOL Chances are, I might just walk into the room and find mama and puppies on the sofa or something. . (I'm so laid back and relaxed about this....)
That kinda attitude and behavior is when accidents happen. Why did you take a pregnant bitch if you were not goiing to provide her with GOOD proper care. Especially a bitch you DONT KNOW?

That kinda attitude and behavior is when accidents happen. Why did you take a pregnant bitch if you were not goiing to provide her with GOOD proper care. Especially a bitch you DONT KNOW?
this is 100% the fault of the shelter... what shelter gives anyone with no experience whelping a pregnant dog?!

But even if he is the daddy, it is still a fun project.
Again the issue with the father being a pit... why even take the dog in with this attitude.

bubbatd

If you're using a cage , please at least use some doweling to put through as roll bars ! Do you have the book " How to Raise a Puppy you Can Live with " ?? All I can do right now is wish you luck ! Don't forget that the Mom will need to see vet within 24 hours of whelp !

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
ive heard that kiddie pools work
please dont let this dog deliver in a cage, if u dont have a whelping box, a nice quiet clean place with lots of towels and of course all the supplies will work
you'll need lots of towels and ive heard vanilla ice cream will kelp keep momma hydrated/give her some energy

Lizmo

Water Junkie
How is she a "breeder"? She took in a rescue pregnant dog. That hardly makes her a "breeder"

Members online