Heard back from my county about pet limit laws...

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
And this is what the email said:

You would have to contact the city of *********'s Planning and
Zoning department. What the county states is that you can have 3 dogs
and 5 cats per household. The county doesn't enforce how many animals you
have, unless the animals are being mistreated or neglected in some way. If
you have any other questions feel free to contact our department at ###-###-####.
I guess I find it odd that the county has laws, but then I have to contact my city's zoning department... but that this is what the county law says but its not enforced unless the animals are mistreated or neglected in some way. How would they know? If they don't enforce the laws? I have never once seen an ACO... and there are a lot of animals in my neighborhood. Weird.

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
That's pretty standard. Its legally junk, but its pretty standard. They really DON'T care how many animals you have, as long as it is not a problem. But if it DOES become a problem, then they don't have to go through the more elaborate evidentary process to prove abuse/neglect/nuisence . . . they just cite you for too many animals. Which sounds practical until you realize it invites arbitrary enforcement . . .

Zoom

Twin 2.0
The city I used to live in and still borders my current one has a 2 dog OR 2 cat limit, then you must apply for a special permit. Still trying to find the ordinance for my current city.

ETA: Same as above. wonder how that's going to play out if my friend and I do end up getting a house together. She has one dog and one cat and I have two dogs and will have one cat as well. Total of 5 animals.

Buddy'sParents

*Finding My Inner Fila*
Wow, Zoom.. that.. sucks. While I'm sure I could be happy with just two animals.. we have five right now and I can't imagine my life without any of them.. well, except little Chit.. he's still free to a good home. :p ;)

That's pretty standard. Its legally junk, but its pretty standard. They really DON'T care how many animals you have, as long as it is not a problem. But if it DOES become a problem, then they don't have to go through the more elaborate evidentary process to prove abuse/neglect/nuisence . . . they just cite you for too many animals. Which sounds practical until you realize it invites arbitrary enforcement . . .
What this says to me is that they don't want to really do their jobs... but that's just my opinion.

Dekka

Just try me..
ITs the same in many places. There is no limit in my township on how many dogs or cats you can have. But I was told by an AC officer (for the city..I don't live in the city, but leave near one) that what Lilavati said is correct. Its not that they don't want to do thier jobs. But that its for the animals welfare. THe city says 3 dogs/ or 3 cats. If you have 4 cats and they are well cared for and not bothering anyone, they don't want to take them away and have to worry about finding a home for a perfectly happy cat. But if someone has too many animals and isn't looking after them, they have an easy non arguable way to remove some animals.

B

BRTLover

2 dogs and 3 cats is our limit unless a kennel license is purchased.

I have a kennel license just because we have two BRT's now and are thinking but have not fully decided on getting another one is a few months.

I have to wait and see how are training goes with the two we have now before taking on another just in case. Do not want to bite off more then I can chew and regret it later.

Paige

Let it be
You have to have a kennel license to have more than two dogs here unless you live on farmland. Then the laws are different. I think you're aloud 5 dogs.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
4 here of any combo. THat's about two more then i can manage.

B

BRTLover

You have to have a kennel license to have more than two dogs here unless you live on farmland. Then the laws are different. I think you're aloud 5 dogs.
Here even farm land people have to have a kennel license otherwise it is not more then two dogs and three cats.

Service dogs and service dogs in training do not count in the number though.
Therapy dogs count in the number and it makes no difference the age or if they are spayed/neutered!

I know some townships around us do not count the dog if they are altered!

bubbatd

Zoom , I wouldn't worry . I really think it would apply only if there are " problems "

Members online

No members online now.