German Shepherds Playing

Equinox

Our neighbor owns a young, 9-10 month old sable German Shepherd named Trooper, who is officially Trent's best friend. They are like two peas in a pod, and now that the weather's finally nice, for Oregon, we enjoy several play sessions a week at their place.

First the greetings and formalities.

*chest bump*

and the wrestling starts

and the chasing

King of the Backyard

Taking a break

"Huntin'"

a few more...

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
Awww! I love the way German Shepherds play... they're so goofy. ;3

I have a weakness for sables AND bi-colors! Those are some handsome, silly boys.

Zoom

Twin 2.0
If ever I decided to get a GSD, I'd be strongly hoping for either a bi or sable. They're just GORGEOUS!

Equinox

Thanks everyone - the two of them get along incredibly well, and I'm lucky to have Trooper in the neighborhood. Nothing like a play session with another hyperactive GSD to calm mine down!

Also, this is a very, very common mistake, but Trent is actually a blanket back black and tan German Shepherd, rather than a bi-color. Of course, as a puppy, everyone (including owners of bi-color GSDs) pegged him as a bi-color, but as he grew, his markings changed and it turns out he's a blanket back.

Bi-colors most noticeably have tarheels and pencilling down the legs, as well as on the paws.

For example, a bi-color:
Otis vom HausReid (also from my pup's breeder)

Another bi-color

A blanket back black/tan:
Quiena von der Rackwitz-Meute (Trent's dam)

Trent (distracting background edited out by a member of another board)

Notice the markings on the legs especially in comparison.

But if you look at a puppy picture of Trent, he has the markings of a bi-color

Which leads me to think that the best way of telling when they're young is by looking at the dog's parents. Trent's change in coloring became more apparent around the 5-7 month point, when I figured out he was, in fact, a blanket back.

BTW when I was looking for pictures of bi-colors to use as examples, 3/4 of the dogs displayed on Google Images were blanket backs instead of bi-colors, which doesn't help with the confusion. :p

Members online

No members online now.