Golden Cocker Spaniel

poochie

watzup_puppy_dog
Poley is a golden Cocker Spaniel and i think he iz 1 of the koolest dogs around. Although he goes syco when he iz happy and chases Riley my cat and chews up all my stuff toys, i luv him heaps. I don't know much about the history and all that kinda stuff of his breed, but i do know that ppl do pay alot 4 dogs like him and im glad i did :)

Cockers are wonderful little creatures. Brattina has a golden Cocker named Maddie who is a real sweetheart, and Soccerwoofer has Luke. There are a few more here, too. You'll have to check out their photo galleries.

Be sure to post some photos of your own in the Picture Gallery, and tell us all about your little Cocker!

seaecho

Most cockers you run across now days are mean and nasty. When I worked for a vet, the worse biters were Rotts, Akitas, Chows, Shar-peis and Cockers! Very unpredictible. You're so lucky you have a rare, nice one!

Brattina88

seaecho said:
Most cockers you run across now days are mean and nasty. When I worked for a vet, the worse biters were Rotts, Akitas, Chows, Shar-peis and Cockers! Very unpredictible. You're so lucky you have a rare, nice one!
I object!
Sure some cockers can be snappy, and vets are usually who dogs snap at, but think about it... After so many years of popularity, which resulted in inbreeding, overbreeding, backyard breeding and loads of puppy mill cockers. Becuase there was such a demand the cocker spaniel they have lots of things not going for 'em. The improper breeding lead to submissive urniation, sensitivities, skin/ear diseases ect... Many People can't handle shots, so when you geneticly have sensitive skin and the vet is poking you wouldn't you snap? (hehehe) Thats just a medical excuse (some say the breeders fault), but the 'other' cockers (or any other dog you mentioned) are the owners fault *point and blame!* People think that they can get the perfect little cocker puppy (this is happening to Labs and goldens too!) and expect it to grow into the perfect adult without any training or socailization.
Not many dogs are unpredictible. There are reasons people are bit, they just don't pay enough attention to figure out why ;)
Nice Cockers are definatly not rare
This discrimination is no different than saying all pit bulls are killers. It simply isn't so, and its not fair to say it.

:cool:

seaecho said:

Do you have anything constructive to say? About any breed other than your own?

From reading your posts, I've come to the conclusion that if - IF - you worked for my vet (which, trust me, you wouldn't for more than a few days) I'd refuse to allow you to handle my dogs.

It takes very little common sense to know that vet visits are high stress environments for any dog, and coming into contact with a handler with your attitude is only going to exacerbate the trauma.

On the positive side, "you're so lucky to have a rare nice one!" is a heckuva left-handed compliment.
:rolleyes:

snookums

I've never met a cocker spaniel I didn't like. And, fwiw, my pup is half cocker, and is as sweet as molasses.

poochie

watzup_puppy_dog
My dog goes to the vet every summer. He ususally goes to get trimmed and to get vaccinated. Because of his long fur, its hard to keep it brushed and our backyard isnt much help. It gets mattered very easily, so they ususally have to shave most of it off. When they do it they have to put him asleep because they use a shaver and the noise of it scares him and he trys to bite, but they also put him to sleep because he is a very energetic dog and he gets excited when he iz around ppl and that makes it hard to give him a nice haircut. He isnt dangerous when he bites, it doesnt even hurt, its not even a real bite, its more of a nip to let us no he dont like it, Poley would neva hurt any1 on purpose! :(

Don't worry about bad opinions from people who don't know your dog , Poochie. Poley sounds like your best friend, and we can tell you love him and are very proud of him. My best friend has a black Cocker named Carter. She rescued him when he turned up on her doorstep all dirty and matted. He'd been abused by whoever had him, but she took him in and he's an absolute sweetheart!

nicco

Wolfpack
I don't want to upset anybody, but this is just my opinion (I saw you,Renee,that you got upset over seaecho).As you know I work with dogs.And I know very well how energetic the cockers are and few of them who come to be clipped are well behaved.But here we meet again with the fact that the owners are to be blamed.They say that "Oh...he/she's a sweetheart...look at that face..." and they let him/she do anything. Recently I can say that we had a cocker to be clipped and the owners told us that they don't want to take his muzzle off cause he'd bite them.So we bathed and dried him with the owner next to him.Some of the time he struggled and he even bit his owner.I couldn't believe it.My collegue recomended them to educate the dog. He gave him the number of a trainer. But they never went.
On the other hand one of my best friends has a cutie of a cocker and I think that he is the most adorable cocker in the world.
So this is my point.And I think that people who want a dog just because it's the latest "fasion" and they don't know what a great responsability it can be,are to be blamed!

welcome to the forums, cockers are sooo cute! Anyway I agree with nicco that the owners are to blame some of the time, I also agree with Renee, do not discriminate, it all depends on the owner, breeder, and stuff like that.

Brattina88

nicco said:
So this is my point.And I think that people who want a dog just because it's the latest "fasion" and they don't know what a great responsability it can be,are to be blamed!
sheltiepups said:
welcome to the forums, cockers are sooo cute! Anyway I agree with nicco that the owners are to blame some of the time, I also agree with Renee, do not discriminate, it all depends on the owner, breeder, and stuff like that.
Exactly!
(I'm so proud of myself for not sounding like I was too awfully upset at seaecho, I tried hard not to yell, but believe you and me I deffinatly was mad!)
Brattina88 ~ ME! said:
People think that they can get the perfect little cocker puppy (this is happening to Labs and goldens too!) and expect it to grow into the perfect adult without any training or socailization.
I often ask myself why people do this, and I'm sorry, but the only answer I can come up with is they are Dumb! Stupid! A couple other words I shouldn't say/type aloud! :rolleyes:

bogolove

My first dog I ever had as a child was a golden cocker and she had little freckles on her nose. I named her Sandy (my parents made me change her name from Mai Tai - the people who had her named her after an alcoholic beverage and me being five at the time, my parents felt I should name her something else). She was a great dog. She was by my side at all times. I loved that dog. she was a pretty calm dog, and very sweet.

Brattina88 said:
Exactly!
(I'm so proud of myself for not sounding like I was too awfully upset at seaecho, I tried hard not to yell, but believe you and me I deffinatly was mad!)

I often ask myself why people do this, and I'm sorry, but the only answer I can come up with is they are Dumb! Stupid! A couple other words I shouldn't say/type aloud! :rolleyes:
Brattina, I'm surprised at you! I expected more fireworks! :D

Oh!!! I wish you could see this! Shiva is laying upside down - on her head - curled over kind of sideways with that big butt in the air, paws waving, skin all wrinkled up on her forehead making Wookie noises to get attention. She really sounds exactly like Chewbacca! (ROFLMAO)

Blondie

I know this is an old topic and I'm sorry if I shouldn't bring it up again, but I have to disagree with those ideas and discrimination against Cockers.

Blondie's very energetic, and spoiled rotten, but I think that's just because he's very smart, almost like a kid, he knows where his limits are and is always wanting to push them a little.

He doesn't like children BECAUSE he had a traumatic experience with one, but after barking and pretending he's the big dog, he gets to know the kid, and then enjoys playing and running like mad!

Most people, I guess, don't like Cockers because they are challenging, and need time, dedication and patience, like a kid! But Blondie's the most affectionate, loving dog, he's very sweet and the best part is that he's playful and always makes us smile, even while he's not feeling very well :(

bogolove

I love cockers. They are so adorable and I agree with you, the one I had when I was younger was always by my side and she was very affectionate.

Shorty

I think your cocker sounds wonderful and I'm happy to see that this little puppy is loved above all!! :)

I have only had a few experiences with cockers, my aunty used to own one, my only grimace would be that when he was a young pup he used to get very nippy and yappy when he got excited, but as with all puppies he soon grew out of that and turned into a lovely well mannerd dog.

hi i'm new here..i have a 3 month old english cocker named Dino and he's already become my best friend..he loves sleeping at my feet and comes when i whistle and sits when i tell him too..he's extraordinarily affectionate although he goes nuts sometimes when he hears someone mixing his food up in his bowl..i can really understand where you're coming from..cockers are some of the sweetest dogs i've ever met..and who can resist those sad, sappy, puppydog eyes??!?
and tt's such a cute photo of your pup, snookums :)

avenlee

Welcome to the forum frenchfries! I also have a cocker spaniel and agree totally with you. I can't go anywhere in the house without Sadie attached to me somehow. They are very devoted and loyal dogs.

Welcome, Frenchfries! My best friend has the most adorable little black Cocker she found cowering on her porch, all covered in mud and cockleburrs and malnourished. Carter has turned out to be a delight - the only real behaviour 'problem' he has is that he just hates any man in a police uniform. We figure whoever abused him before was a cop.

I never met a Cocker, but I have met a CKC Spaniel!! Now he was the cutest, sweetest, little dog I've seen yet! I know that some Cockers can be nasty (just like any other breed) but it depends on its trianing, socialization, and breeding.

Members online

No members online now.