Help find a harness?

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
We need a new harness for Talon. Right now we have comfortflex, which we both love! The problem is Talon's hair keeps getting stuck in the velco causing it to not stick correctly. The clip over the velcro holds the harness in place, but the velcro straps twist sideways and out of place and it just looks ugly and uncomfortable. Artimis's doesn't have that issue because of his short hair. Obvious answer is just clean it out, which we are, but we have to clean it out every day or it twists and it's just getting annoying. So we are looking for another harness without velcro straps!

So new harness likes:
-Easy on, Easy off needed! No step in's please, he goes out leashed about 6 times a day)
-Comfortable for Talon, doesn't restrict movement! He wears it running a lot!
-Clip in the back
-Preferably dries easily (Talon swims a lot in summer)
-Price doesn't matter for the right harness
-No velcro, at least not near the buckles or as a fastening for the main harness.

We are having a hard time finding one we like that will work for everything. He will be running, swimming, and jogging in the harness, so we need one that's going to last a while.

We like the Julius K-9 harness's, but are afraid they look a bit uncomfortable for lots of movement, any experience with that?

I know, we are being super picky. So there may not be one that matches our wants perfectly :)

Saeleofu

I'm not sure how this harness is designed, but if it's otherwise a good harness for your dog, what about just removing the velcro?

DJEtzel

I'm not sure how this harness is designed, but if it's otherwise a good harness for your dog, what about just removing the velcro?
Unfortunately if the Velcro was removed it would just slide around and be weird/sloppy like it is with the hair in it. That's the trouble she's having now... it not being secure. I am lucky I don't have very furry dogs. XD

Sure-Fit Harness

The Sure-Fit Harness sounds like a good one for Talon. It buckles and unbuckles extremely easily if that is what you are looking for. And I can't say I mind the price much either!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
To be completely honest, both I and my boyfriend hate the way the Premeire sure fit looks. It looks like most other harnesses you see, and it makes me think it's going to rub the armpits pretty bad. I wish I could find someplace to try it on first, but so far I've had no luck. :/

Any other suggestions?

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
If the SureFit rubs the armpits it's not adjusted right. Each strap can be adjusted and the strap connecting the front and back parts can be adjusted for length. I just put Payton's on and the rear strap is about an inch away from his armpits.

JacksonsMom

To be completely honest, both I and my boyfriend hate the way the Premeire sure fit looks. It looks like most other harnesses you see, and it makes me think it's going to rub the armpits pretty bad. I wish I could find someplace to try it on first, but so far I've had no luck. :/

Any other suggestions?
I didn't much like the SureFit either. :( I did not like the way it sat on him, I dunno, I'm weird.

Have you looked at Hurtta? I have a Hurtta harness that was too big for Jackson, but probably too small for Talon. Really nice quality, but Jackson is always an 'in between' size and it did not fit. Way too loose in his chest. If you tell me Talon's girth, I can see what size I have and if it would even be a possibility. I'd get rid of it real cheap, as it's just been sitting here lol. It looks like this: http://www.petster.eu/shop/thumbnai...rigpic-653ba8.jpg_0_0_100_100_300_300_100.jpg

But otherwise... hmmm, Ezydog? I have an Ezydog harness and I actually like it. My only complaint is the placement of the buckle (it's kinda high up, closer to his armpit) and the front strap is too high up for my liking (but Jackson has a sensitive neck, so I prefer to keep harnesses that are lower down). But it's a good harness for getting dirty, water activities, etc. And it's very easy on/off. Same general style of the comfortflex.

What about this one? I've heard good things. http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1699&ParentCat=202

What about Puppia? I know it's vest-style, they have big dog sizes now as well, it used to be geared towards small dogs. But I have to say it's been my most reliable harness over the years. It's always my 'go to'. Held up to water, sand, mud, dog parks, and everything in between. I also find it really quick to put on and take off.

Saeleofu

I didn't like the Ezydog. I got the size that was supposed to fit Logan, but it was too small, and it was nearly too big for Gavroche. It also didn't fit well overall. It's got a lot of velcro, too, so you'd probably have the same issues as you do now. Then again, my dogs are weird shaped (especially Logan!) which is why I make my own :p I did like the way it fit on the corgi I used to train, which is why I ordered it in the first place...but it just wasn't what I expected.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I didn't much like the SureFit either. :( I did not like the way it sat on him, I dunno, I'm weird.

Have you looked at Hurtta? I have a Hurtta harness that was too big for Jackson, but probably too small for Talon. Really nice quality, but Jackson is always an 'in between' size and it did not fit. Way too loose in his chest. If you tell me Talon's girth, I can see what size I have and if it would even be a possibility. I'd get rid of it real cheap, as it's just been sitting here lol. It looks like this: http://www.petster.eu/shop/thumbnai...rigpic-653ba8.jpg_0_0_100_100_300_300_100.jpg

But otherwise... hmmm, Ezydog? I have an Ezydog harness and I actually like it. My only complaint is the placement of the buckle (it's kinda high up, closer to his armpit) and the front strap is too high up for my liking (but Jackson has a sensitive neck, so I prefer to keep harnesses that are lower down). But it's a good harness for getting dirty, water activities, etc. And it's very easy on/off. Same general style of the comfortflex.

What about this one? I've heard good things. http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=1699&ParentCat=202

What about Puppia? I know it's vest-style, they have big dog sizes now as well, it used to be geared towards small dogs. But I have to say it's been my most reliable harness over the years. It's always my 'go to'. Held up to water, sand, mud, dog parks, and everything in between. I also find it really quick to put on and take off.
The one from cleanrun I really like, but David's worried the fleece won't dry well. :/ He's so difficult lol :p

The hurtta was one of the two we were cosidering, I'll get Talon's girth but I'm not sure if it's going to be as small as Jackson. I imagine Jackson is a bit wider in girth than Art, and Talon has outgrown Art by a bit now.

You know, I never even considered Puppia, I'l lhave to take a look at them. :)

JacksonsMom

I didn't like the Ezydog. I got the size that was supposed to fit Logan, but it was too small, and it was nearly too big for Gavroche. It also didn't fit well overall. It's got a lot of velcro, too, so you'd probably have the same issues as you do now. Then again, my dogs are weird shaped (especially Logan!) which is why I make my own :p I did like the way it fit on the corgi I used to train, which is why I ordered it in the first place...but it just wasn't what I expected.
The ezydog has velcro? lol, why have I never noticed this? I still need a harness from you. I lost my tape measure and then totally forgot about measurements and everything. I'm sooo incredibly lazy.

You can see Jackson in the ezydog here: http://chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262906

And puppia, of course. They have other brands similar to this - Gooby and ipuppyone. Not sure on sizing of those though.

JacksonsMom

The one from cleanrun I really like, but David's worried the fleece won't dry well. :/ He's so difficult lol :p

The hurtta was one of the two we were cosidering, I'll get Talon's girth but I'm not sure if it's going to be as small as Jackson. I imagine Jackson is a bit wider in girth than Art, and Talon has outgrown Art by a bit now.

You know, I never even considered Puppia, I'l lhave to take a look at them. :)
Yeah it's probably too small. Jackson is 19" girth but this harness was way too big. I recall it being around 22" girth? I'll have to check tomorrow (when I'm not laying in bed :eek:)

Saeleofu

The ezydog has velcro? lol, why have I never noticed this?
The entire front is velcro. I seem to remember some in the girth, too, but I'm not sure.

[YOUTUBE]nRbhFsOFn1E[/YOUTUBE]

JacksonsMom

The entire front is velcro. I seem to remember some in the girth, too, but I'm not sure.

[YOUTUBE]nRbhFsOFn1E[/YOUTUBE]
Whoops! Well, the velcro is totally covered up then by that front piece. I guess Jackson's just came his size and I never adjusted the front. :rofl1:

MicksMom

Any other suggestions?
Mick had to wear a harness because of laryngeal paralysis. I was concerned about arm pit rub, but it never happened. Like Beanie said, when it's adjusted right, it won't rub. And you could always put the flees tubing for horse halters on it (or the ones made for seat belts).

...You know, I never even considered Puppia, I'l lhave to take a look at them. :)
I bought a Puppia for Nosework and hated it. The only strap that's adjustable is the one that goes around the belly. There was a couple of times that Caleb almost backed out of it when stopped to sniff something walking across the parking lot. I also don't like where the ring is- it's at the end of the material instead of over the belly strap.

JacksonsMom

Mick had to wear a harness because of laryngeal paralysis. I was concerned about arm pit rub, but it never happened. Like Beanie said, when it's adjusted right, it won't rub. And you could always put the flees tubing for horse halters on it (or the ones made for seat belts).

I bought a Puppia for Nosework and hated it. The only strap that's adjustable is the one that goes around the belly. There was a couple of times that Caleb almost backed out of it when stopped to sniff something walking across the parking lot. I also don't like where the ring is- it's at the end of the material instead of over the belly strap.
They have a Puppia RiteFit. Which also has two d-rings on the back and is adjustable in the neck area.

Here is it is on a BC looking pup:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXNuTmzLUyc

Members online

No members online now.