Does your dog react to TV?

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Cynder couldn't care less about what is going on in regards to the television. Abrams, however, is a different story.

If I'm watching something, he will often stop what he's doing (typically chewing on a bone) and stare at the TV in fascination. I'm not really sure what exactly grabs his attention, but when it does, he is mesmerized. He'll also respond to sound and go up to the speakers with his head cocked, trying to figure out what it is. Again, I can't really figure out what triggers him, but it is freaking cute when he does so. He will watch dogs with unwavering attention and will also respond to their vocalizations.

And, funnily enough, he reacts if I pause the TV when it is zoomed in on a person or their face. He'll be walking by without a care in the world, then look up and see the person and start barking like, "Whoa! How did you get here? Mom! Something is wrong!" This evening I had paused it while watching Once Upon a Time and it was frozen on a profile shot of Mr. Gold. I stepped into the bathroom and no sooner had I put my pajamas on Abrams was barking at the TV, horribly insulted that Mr. Gold was standing in his livingroom. Once I played the episode again he lost all interest in the people.

Granted, we have a big TV and it is on a stand that puts it about eye level with Abrams...but I just find his reactions amusing! How does your dog react?

Oko

Silence, peasants.
Ha, Abrams sounds so entertaining. Wesley couldn't care less. Feist hasn't seen much TV, but when she has, she watches it. She's paid attention to sports and was very alert throughout watching perks of being a wallflower, lol.

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Juno used to "watch" TV all the time and tilt her head back and forth to the strange noises. She doesn't really seem to care about it anymore, though.

Snark

Mutts to you
The dogs don't react at all but one of our cats is very interested in helicopters on TV. Mikey will jump on the arm of the nearest chair and watch intently until it goes off screen. He's more interested in the larger military style helicopters.

Toller_08

Journey watches TV sometimes. With animals or without. She just likes things that move I think, and the TV has moving things, so it holds her attention. She's very casual about it though. Not intense at all.

Ripley used to react to dogs on TV by barking and growling at them. It was really annoying, especially because I actually like watching shows with dogs. He seemed to grow out of it... I actually forgot he ever even did that until just now. It must have stopped a while ago.

Dance and Keira don't acknowledge the TV at all and never have.

PWCorgi

Priscilla Winifred Corgi
Frodo, never.

Siri...an annoying amount. Any time there is a bird or dog on the television OMG! She stands on two legs and growls at the tv, will jump on the table and stand there to watch. She will also just lie down and watch it like a human, but as soon as there is a bird or dog on the television then there is a big to-do about it!

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Art never does.

Talon all the time! he will sit and watch tv with us all the time. if there is an animal in tv he runs up to it to try and sniff it. the first few times he saw a dog on tv he was so confused. He scored the tv, then looked behind it, then looked at the tv, then back behind it again.lol

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
Finn doesn't specifically perk up to anything on TV, and ignores it most of the time. If he's snuggled up with me on the couch, though, he will specifically watch the movement on the screen, but it doesn't affect him.

The one exception to this rule is if I watch herding trials on TV (which has only happened twice). The whistle gets his attention and he perks and headtilts like crazy. WHERE ARE THE SHEEP FOOD LADY

SizzleDog

Lord Cynical
Jayne does. It doesn't help that we have 50" flatscreens, so he has a LOT to look at. He reacts the most to people running. He HATES people who run on TV. ;)

Doorbell ringing on TV? EVERY ONE.

Otherwise, pretty much only Jonas and ONLY Hugh Laurie's voice. We literally could not watch House. I had to CC him to the sound of the voice of an actor he has never met to watch a TV show I liked because my dog is a weirdo.

crazedACD

None of my dogs pay any interest (even barking dogs), but Fiona initially did, with some curiosity, not really intense though.

My family friend/hairdressers' Cairn? Totally tuned into the TV. She watches with like morbid interest and if there is an animal, she goes crazy barking. The TV in the shop is small, and up in the high corner, and she still watches and goes crazy.

JacksonsMom

Occasionally. Sometimes if a dog or something is on tv, he will look at it and follow it. And very occasionally if there is a knock or doorbell, sometimes he will growl/bark at it. But usually he knows the difference. Like he hates thunder but when it's thundering on TV, he doesn't react at all.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Bodhi, only odd sounds.

Fred... Well take a guess lol! Yes. He watches tv avidly. Barks at animals on it, tracks movement, and sometimes just plain watches it.

Tashapaws

Spanish Pup
Natasha used to watch the Tv, and sometimes bark at it, but now she only cares if there are door bells. Then, she barks once and looks at us, like "Come on, go and open!". She's doing it less, though.

krissy

Kili looks behind the tv for the people and dogs. She usually only reacts to dogs on tv but every once in awhile something else random catches her attention. She loves birds so close ups of flying birds get her attention.

We used to leave the TV on at night for our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. He loved Crufts. We'd wake up at night and he'd be sitting on the end of the bed watching. He'd sometimes quietly "talk", LOL.

The other three couldn't care less.

Maxy24

The only time Tucker seems to notice the TV is when I'm watching animal cops and there is a dog yelping or otherwise making noises of pain. Then he appears to become nervous. Otherwise he pays no attention to it. Once my cat Willie ran at the TV and swatted it. I was watching The Most Extreme on animal planet and they were showing some sort of mouse running around super fast through a field. Willie couldn't help himself and looked fairly embarrassed afterwards. He doesn't usually watch though.

I dogsat for a basset hound that barked her head off at every animal on television, both real and cartoon. It was the most annoying thing ever. How did she even know the cartoon pig was an animal?? It's a cartoon and I'm pretty sure she's never even seen a pig in real life.

BostonBanker

About three months after we got her, Meg sat up in a chair and watched an entire 2 hour episode of American Idol intently. She's never watched TV since. I'm pretty sure she thinks it is evil.

Gusto adores TV. Animal shows, commercials, anything. Show jumping is one of his favorite things to watch. He once spent most of a day watching Downton Abbey with me.

Cali Mae

Little dog, big voice
Moses is completely oblivious to it, although if he hears a doorbell on a TV show/movie, he'll go running to the door. That's about it though.

Cali always takes notice if there is a dog barking and will stare, with her head tilted, at the TV until the dog goes off screen. She's also reacted to various small animals on the TV as well, but that's no surprise since she is in love with squirrels, cats, etc.

MicksMom

...If I'm watching something, he will often stop what he's doing (typically chewing on a bone) and stare at the TV in fascination. I'm not really sure what exactly grabs his attention, but when it does, he is mesmerized...
Caleb does that, too. Sometime he follows what's going on. I don't know which was better- the time there was a little girl crying on the Today Show, and he walked up to the tv and put his nose on her face, or the time I was watching a bucking bull auction and he looked back and forth from me to the tv whining when the bucking dummy came off the bull's back. That's when I realized he not only watched bullriding with me, but knew the cowboys either got up and left the arena or somebody went to them when they come off.

Then there was the time I was watching a duck hunting show. He marked the duck as it fell
from the sky, and when the hunter released his dog to retrieve it, Caleb started a leap towards the tv.

And when I watched "It's Me Or The Dog"? Oh, my! The looks I got from him! Especially when there were dogs jumping onto tables or peeing and pooping all over the floors. He had a total look of shock on his face

I've started using the surround sound more now that we the HD tv. Somethings he reacts to, some he doesn't. Just last night there was some weird sound on bull riding that had him jumping straight up and down barking at the back door with all the hair on his back up.

Members online

No members online now.