Thyroid & Blood Test

Ivy

Dallas is going on for his thyroid blood test tomorrow at 10am. I usually give him his meds at 9am, about 2.5 to 3 hours after breakfast, and again at 9pm some as breakfast.

How many hours before should I be giving Dallas his medication before the blood test? Would it be the same as usual just pushed earlier than normal? I was thinking of skipping his breakfast because that would mean I would have to feed him at 4 in the morning if it is recommended to give 3 hours earlier.

Saeleofu

Ideally, he should get his meds at his normal time, and schedule the appointment for 4-6 hours later. If he has blood drawn at 10am, he needs to have his pill between 4am and 6am. However, changing the pill to be earlier one day will throw off the values a bit. Having the appointment between 1 and 3 pm (if you give meds at 9) would give you a much better idea of what his thyroid levels are doing.

I give thyroid meds and a meal at the same time, because the dose he's on works well that way. If you usually feed separately, though, feeding and giving the pill together for the blood test is not a good idea. Basically, keep everything as similar to how it is every day as possible, and schedule the blood draw for the appropriate time.

Members online

No members online now.