Bacon grease and chicken fat

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
A friend wrote me about the her dog's death.

This was her last e-mail. Thought i would take her advice and share.

Thanks,
Thanks for your response,
He poisoned himself (shut down his liver and pancreas) by eating lots of bacon grease out of the trash. I have now heard of this happening to other dogs and a cat too. The vet said a Rottweiler died from too much fat on chicken skin! Why isn't this widely known? You might want to post it on Chaz Hound. Heart breaking.
Love,
Lori

PixieSticksandTricks

Athletic Labs. They Exist
Wow crazy scary! I try my best to keep my little trash picker (Maggie May) out of the garbage the best I can. That would be scary.

Dekka

Just try me..
Strange.. must have been the lack of being used to it.. very sad. I have always fed my skinnies the bacon grease and there is lots of fat on the chicken backs I feed (only way to keep weight on the whippets)

Very sad I am sorry for your friend.

bubbatd

Luckily Ollie can't get into the garbage . I wonder is those feeding raw know how much fat a chicken has .

F

FluffyZooCrew

May have been an underlying problem... when I was doing raw, a couple of my skinnier guys got quite a bit of fat, and I never de-skinned my raw chicken.

So very sad, so sorry for her loss. :(

Strange.. must have been the lack of being used to it.. very sad. I have always fed my skinnies the bacon grease and there is lots of fat on the chicken backs I feed (only way to keep weight on the whippets)

Very sad I am sorry for your friend.
Exactly. That's terribly sad for your friend. I have to wonder if there isn't another cause though. We've always let ours have the bacon grease, usually over their food. That includes the 15 year old GSDs.

Saje

Island dweller
I agree with the underlying problem. It would be so horrible to learn that the hard way. Poor dogs :(

Saje

Island dweller
Nanook got chicken grease last night because she ate two whole chicken thighs off the table so I poured if over some bread slices and that was her punishment :rolleyes:

corgipower

Tweleve Enthusiest
Either an underlying problem or they got a lot of it. I always feed it to mine also. But Morgan and Tyr get small amounts because they can't handle a lot of fat at one time.

bubbatd

Yes , I gave mine a little bacon grease for flavoring . But that was when I cooked bacon and had 3 or more dogs .!

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
IF it was like Mary's pancreatic attack age was a big factor. SHe almost died from half a loaf of english muffin bread. IT might have been alot of chicken grease or a lot of chicken skins. My mom use to save the skins for Victor but he only had a little at a time. SHe had sent a whole container, if he had all of it at once it might have made him very sick.

Dekka

Just try me..
I know of a lot of raw fed old dogs who get tonnes of fat.. but I think they have the enzymes and such available to digest it.. as they are getting it regularly.

Either way its very sad and a good reminder to keep dogs out of the garbage (for what ever reason)

bubbatd

Many times I'll boil chicken skins and drain off the fat before giving the skin and broth .

Saje

Island dweller
Ours is in a corner and behind a baby gate to keep the dog and fiona out. she should still get at it if she absolutely have to but we try very hard to take the tempting garbage right out

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My friend was on vacation. THe dog was staying with friends. I am so very sorry for her, i told her i thought an accidental death is so hard to accept.

grab01

I'm on a boat..
I do think dogs who end up with pancreatitis from getting into fatty foods tend to be dogs who aren't used to a variety of "people" foods. The trend for many, from what I have seen, (excluding dogs who are prone to it) seems to be a dog who doesn't get any table scraps and then get a large amount..either by counter surfing or getting the leftovers at holidays like Thanksgiving.

Very, very sad though.

R

RedyreRottweilers

Raw fat is one thing. But too much of ANY fat can cause pancreatitis and death. You have to think of the prey model. There is only so much fat and skin on one animal. Dogs, almost all of them, are food driven, and the lure of bacon fat or grease, or turkey or chicken skin is irresistible to them.

I know of a fine show dog who died after getting to the handler's bait cache and eating a good amount of liver.

Staff online

Members online