Dragon head in progress.

Romy

Taxiderpy
I WANT THIS. Do you sell them?? I want a dragon.
I will be! The red eyed one will be the first. I also have a blue eyed one in the works. Shooting to complete 5 at a time, so more will be started when more eye materials arrive. :)

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
You're right on the copyright/trademark stuff, Romy. That's bitten quite a few people in the dollmaking world. It's just a matter of time, and Disney has historically been a company that has enforced their rights. Sometimes it just takes awhile to get to you.
I know some miniaturists who got sued by the NFL for making tiny football pennants for doll houses and selling them because they used real life teams. :( Being a small business person, I just can't afford to take the risk. Maybe once I'm established I can look into getting permission/licensed for it but for now I don't know.
Oh man. I run into this with collars, too, with people wanting licensed designs. I'll make them for friends as gifts now and then, but I won't sell them. Never never never ever. Scares the crap out of me.

I looked into getting permission from the NFL, but found out that you need to guarantee something like $100,000 worth of product a year. Um. No. LOL!

Anyhoo, I would definitely be interested in one of these dragons, too! (If that wasn't clear before. :p) I can't wait to see them in their finished glory!

maxfox426

My dog tickles my soul
Max, if you buy fabric that's already licensed you might be okay. I'd still double check though.
Most of the licensed fabrics are printed along the selvage with warnings about reselling it. Now, I *think* that mostly likely means I can't immediately turn around and sell the raw fabric after I buy it... BUT just that off-chance that somebody wants to hunt me down over it... too scary. lol

Most of the licensed fabrics are printed along the selvage with warnings about reselling it. Now, I *think* that mostly likely means I can't immediately turn around and sell the raw fabric after I buy it... BUT just that off-chance that somebody wants to hunt me down over it... too scary. lol
I believe you're right on that, Max. Copyright and trademark law is scary. Most good attorneys who don't specialize in it are even hesitant when it comes to saying something is or is not okay. It's definitely one of the places where it's better to ask permission than have to try for forgiveness :eek:

Saeleofu

THAT'S SO COOL!

ETA:

There's tons of people on Etsy that make stuff with trademarked characters and I'm not sure if they get away with it because it's okay, or if it's because people just don't bother to go after them.
I know of several Etsy sellers who make Doctor Who stuff who had to stop because the BBC got mad. Everything from posters and decals to jewelry.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am just so intrigued. I thought the pupil moved. So it is stationary but deep? THat is awesomeness. Your dragon is coming along fine.

Yeah I get asked all the time to do trademark stuff but I won't. I can only do so as a gift, like the hatchit man ICP mug I made for my son for Christmas,. or the powerpuff girl I made for Hyia. I can reproduce just about anything but you cannot do it for profit. THat's a nono andt here are people out there that look for just that.

AllieMackie

Wookie Collie
I am just so intrigued. I thought the pupil moved. So it is stationary but deep? THat is awesomeness. Your dragon is coming along fine.

Yeah I get asked all the time to do trademark stuff but I won't. I can only do so as a gift, like the hatchit man ICP mug I made for my son for Christmas,. or the powerpuff girl I made for Hyia. I can reproduce just about anything but you cannot do it for profit. THat's a nono andt here are people out there that look for just that.
To make moving eyes on dolls/costumes, you just have to bevel the iris/pupil area inside the ball. A simple trick with neat results. :)

Here's how someone did them for a fursuit head (ever want dollmaking/costume tutorials? Furries have them in DROVES and they're incredibly helpful) that has the bevel without the rounded eyeball that Romy's has.

Members online

No members online now.