Homemade treats?

I'm a horrible cook - horrible, horrible, nasty cook. But from time to time I will whip something up in the food processor, steam something to the best of my ability or even just mix something up for Katalin.

Does anyone else try their hand at homemade treats/snacks? Share your recipes/methods here

Her food is Firstmate kibble - but she gets the occasional mix of this as a treat once in a while:

*One gala apple or several small cooking apples from our tree in season
*Marinated or plain chicken meat - about half as much as the quantity of apple
*Honey (if not available it's substituted for a small amount of brown sugar)
*A dash of cinnamon

It's just mixed up in the food processor then mashed up with a spoon with the latter two ingredients stirred in.

Sometimes she also gets...

White rice mixed with:

Cooked sardines
Steamed carrots, asparagus and broccoli
Dash of garlic
Strips of chicken meat.

Just all really well mashed together.

I have a recipe for some kind of carrot cookie - but our oven is outta whack and centuries old - so haven't been able to try that one out.

MicksMom

I make real simple treats by mixing anyof the following with oatmeal, spreading the mixture out on a cookie sheet and baking.

canned pumpkin
banana
peanutbutter
applesauce
canned dog food

For Caleb's birthday, I use some of the mixture to make a muffin. I put some parchment paper on the cookie sheet for easy clean up. After they're coled, I use a pizza wheel to cut it into strips. I keep the strips in a bag in the freezer, pulling out a couple at a time as I need them. They defrost pretty quickly.

Non-baking treats- I chop up some fruit in the blender, and freeze in Italian Ice containers or ice cube trays.

Doberluv

My dogs love homemade liver treats.

1 container (not sure of the size...just those little round containers in the grocery store) of chicken livers

2 cups oat flour (if you have it, otherwise, regular flour)

1 egg

1 glove garlic

sprinkling of Parmesan cheese

In my Vita mix (not sure if it will work in a regular blender) I put in the chicken livers and the egg and puree that.

On my planer, I mince up the garlic and mix that in the mixture

Dump into a big bowl and gradually add in the flour...mix well

Sprinkle parmesan on top or you can mix it all in. Just a little bit, like maybe 1/8 cup or so...gives it a really nice smell. (for dogs) LOL

Spread into well greased 9x11 Pyrex or other casserole baking dish

Bake at 350 F for about 1/2 hour or until sides pull away from edges of pan.

Cut into 1/4 inch or as small as you can get the pieces.

Cool on paper towel.

You can freeze in little baggies...just enough for 2-3 days worth. Refrigerate what you're using for a couple days.

Variations: You could grate up some carrot or toss in some blueberries if you like. If your dog isn't sensitive, you can throw in a couple fish oil capsules. Or even some fish! The sky is the limit. :D

My home made training treats/bait for Enda. 1 chicken breast, cut into strips, place in frying pan, lightly season (pepper or garlic they usually like), cook thoroughly, voila! Easy bait. You can also put it in the oven and bake to make them less greasy/moist, but you might have to add a little extra seasoning for the picky eaters (like my girl). I also do this with liver, what ever kind, put in frying pan, season, treats!

MicksMom

...In my Vita mix (not sure if it will work in a regular blender) I put in the chicken livers and the egg and puree that...
Chicken livers you can do in the blender. But I learned the hard way that calf liver will burn the motor up in one.

ihartgonzo

and Fozzie B!
I bake chicken hearts/gizzards/lungs with garlic powder sprinkled on them.... Just long enough to dry them out. They're stinky but super high value!

For cookies, I have snickerdoodle recipe with oatmeal, cinnamon, peanut butter, honey and eggs, and a little bit of baking powder.

Doberluv

Chicken livers you can do in the blender. But I learned the hard way that calf liver will burn the motor up in one.
Wow! Holy cow! That is a darn shame. Well, I guess you better stay away from calf livers.

I just noticed that I wrote "glove" instead of "clove." Oh dear....I'm losin' it. :eek:

Some of your recipes look good enough to serve guests. :p

MicksMom

Wow! Holy cow! That is a darn shame. Well, I guess you better stay away from calf livers...
Yep- that's when I started using chicken livers for that particular recipe. Which, btw, is easy. Only heads up is that it uses corn bread mix.

Liver Bread
Mix Jiffy cornbread mix, a pound of raw liver (pureed), an egg and some garlic powder, put in greased pan, bake according to corn bread directions on box.

Doberluv

Yep- that's when I started using chicken livers for that particular recipe. Which, btw, is easy. Only heads up is that it uses corn bread mix.

Liver Bread
Mix Jiffy cornbread mix, a pound of raw liver (pureed), an egg and some garlic powder, put in greased pan, bake according to corn bread directions on box.

I think people hear that corn is no good in dog food and they think it's bad for them, but it isn't really bad. It won't hurt them at all unless they're allergic or they have some particular sensitivity. It's just that some of these cheap dog foods have so much corn that they're not getting enough meat and so forth. But corn isn't some evil thing that's going to poison dogs. lol.

MicksMom

I think people hear that corn is no good in dog food and they think it's bad for them, but it isn't really bad. It won't hurt them at all unless they're allergic or they have some particular sensitivity. It's just that some of these cheap dog foods have so much corn that they're not getting enough meat and so forth. But corn isn't some evil thing that's going to poison dogs. lol.
Yeah. Mick did fine with it (and would turn himseld inside out for those treats). Caleb on the other paw, due to ear infections and itching, the only grain he gets is oatmeal.

Tazwell

I've got diced fish in the dehydrator now for Fleetwood! By far my favorite treat making technique for all the critters. Fruit, veggies, and meat all in the dehydrator!

Members online

No members online now.