What's to become of our purebred dogs?

Doberluv

This just sickens me.:(

YouTube - History of the change in the german shepherd over the years

YouTube - German Shepherd half dog half frog

I know what you are talking about. Its just shows that even akc registered breeding is not always done with best intentions and properly :( This breed was beautiful with the slope back in the day, now it looks painful

Xandra

Just put the titles into YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. or google.

You're preaching to the choir here Dober. I agree, it sucks.

On the other hand if you swapped everyone's showline GSD for a "good" working line dog the GSD would become the new "pitbull."

Let them have their frogs (lol as one article put it, dogs that look like they have a weight tied to their balls) and we'll keep our working lines as working lines. The two "types" can operate independently of each other just fine. It's a free country, after all, and although that isn't the best structure there are lots of showline dogs with good hips. So I would say you can have a frog with good hips, which means the dog isn't really suffering... I don't think? I do feel bad for people who buy a showline dog and think they've bought themselves the Rin Tin Tin of 2010 but they obviously didn't research at all (seriously, 15 minutes on Google will give you the low down on GSD's) and if it has any sort of temperament it will still likely be one of the better dogs they've owned.

At this point I have a much bigger problem with working line people who do not evaluate their breeding dogs honestly (ie, push them through to their Sch III with the help of a super trainer and then breed them with the justification that they got their Sch III...). At least at this point showlines have little to no effect on the working lines, but those people who are polluting the working lines... shame on them.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I have a terrible time seeing the "new" german shepards. IT makes me personally sad so i will watch the links tomorrow. I saw one special that showed how they were unable to even run properly and that is just sad. I will take my dog with a straight back. Not looking like someone just hit him on the fanny. I will stick with the Rin tin tin types.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Both showlines of GSD really just make me sad. The German showlines really aren't much better structure wise. There are some breeds that I truly cannot understand HOW the breeders think what they are doing is ethical.

As much as I prefer working lines in border collies at least the showline bcs are able to walk and move normally.... Things like GSDs, English bulldogs, etc make me just shake my head.

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
the GSDs just make my skin crawl.. ugh!

and to think, ive been told that MY GSD was deformed!

looks pretty **** normal to me!
and it proves that the infamous "its just in the leg placement" excuse, is BS.. her legs are in the position but shes still shaped NORMALLY like a dog.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
My neighbor has one. beautiful for the first half..the head noble and proud. The back legs hock in and wobble.

AGonzalez

Not a lurker

Doesn't look anything like the dogs in that video or that I see that are shown...no slanted back, she's square in the rear end, and has a nice natural looking run...
My working dog friends like her, the show people I know say "that dog would never win at conformation" - well, that's fine by me, I'd rather have an "ugly" sound dog than a crippled up beauty.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
SHe looks outstanding to me!!!!!!! Noble head, strong back, perfecto!

AGonzalez

Not a lurker
Truth be told, she has a GSD showline buddy...we walk 3 miles she's still good to go when we get back...he stopped at mile 1 and is exhausted.
It's sad to see he can't keep up, he's about 90 lbs and huge compared to her at 63 lbs (just weighed her) "ugly" wins, lol!

Boemy

Oh, if it's shots from that documentary, I watched that. I don't know how those breeders can look at their dogs without crying. I can't imagine purposely breeding an animal to walk like that. Kind of reminds me of mad scientists in old sci fi movies . . . "Ve must cross ze monkey wif ze walrus! SCIENCE DEMANDS IT!" And then it grows 50 feet tall and devours them.

Xandra

Well, while we're posting photos of GSD's.

These are natural poses.

As you can see he's got a long croup. He's kinda slanty when he poses. Otherwise his back is pretty straight.

While it may seem strange to some I am on a sort of crusade to get him posed like those show dogs. I post this next pic at risk of being called a dog abuser lol... I honestly had no idea I had positioned his feet so far apart until I looked at the photo after. I was trying to get his back end lower lol. Anyways it's as close as I've gotten so far. I think what needs to happen is less Twister stuff and his knee needs to drop a bit. lol

Actually the closest pic I have of the angle of his hock to a showline dog's is mine upon impact after jumping 9 ft or so.

Here are some neat animations I have

That's all :D

DanL

Mine's a little slanty but it doesn't keep him from doing what he wants.

sammgirl

ACoops favorite
Well, while we're posting photos of GSD's.

These are natural poses.

As you can see he's got a long croup. He's kinda slanty when he poses. Otherwise his back is pretty straight.
Wow. There are so many pretty shepherds on this board. Makes me want one.

Kenya, Lacey, Xandra's boy and DanL's dog are all making me wish for my own shep one day!!!!

DanL your GSD is absolutely gorgeous!!!! That is what my mothers dogs growing up looked like, that is as low as it should be. Can I have him :)

Xandra

Thank you sammgirl.

Dan, Gunnar looks great... he's a very sturdy looking dog. How tall is he and what's he weigh? Mine is a little over 27" and all spindly lol. Ah well.

It's important to remember that GSD's are SUPPOSED to have a bit of a slope. Just because the show people have taken it to extremes of extremes doesn't mean that it shouldn't slope at all... everything in moderation.

To quote the SV standard:
Body

The top line extends from the point where the neck meets the skull past the well developed withers and the gently downward sloping back to the slightly sloping croup without a visible break. The back is firm, strong, and well muscled. The loin is broad, well developed, and strongly muscled. The croup should be long and have a slight downward slope (approximately 23 degrees from horizontal) and should merge smoothly into the tail set.
It's just the show breeders didn't have to worry about proper temperament or functional structure, because they didn't use their dogs in any way, so they had to think up *something* to breed for, they needed a goal. So they f'ed up the backs... couldn't they have done something with merit, like breed them so their ears didn't look RIDICULOUS at 6 months? lol Go figure.

Members online

No members online now.