Switching Mitsu to raw

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
Switching Mitsu to raw, mod move please

So I want to start Mitsu on raw this fall. Tyler is going hunting this fall and is going to try and bag as many deer as he is allowed and what we don`t want to eat is going to the dogs, which is going to be a lot.

And since its all natural meat I dont have to mix and match meats for her to get what she needs, but should I start her on chicken backs first for a while until she is accustomed to the raw instead of just jumping into the rich deer meat.

What steps would you take

*and I just realised this is in the wrong forum, can a mod move it please

Last edited:

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
I would start on chicken backs for a little while since she hasn't been around raw before.. It's not "necessary" technically but I am always extra cautious, I hate cleaning floors lol but once stools firm up/she seems accustomed.. JUMP RIGHT IN!

You are so **** lucky! WHOLE DEER! Ugh I would love to not have to mix/match.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I would start on chicken backs for a little while since she hasn't been around raw before.. It's not "necessary" technically but I am always extra cautious, I hate cleaning floors lol but once stools firm up/she seems accustomed.. JUMP RIGHT IN!

You are so **** lucky! WHOLE DEER! Ugh I would love to not have to mix/match.
Ha ha oh yah the explosion, so much fun..NOT!!! I know right, I am super excited. I really hope Tyler has no problems getting any animals.

jenv101

Bite Club
Ditto - I'd start with chicken and add in a bit of pork or beef once she is doing well on chicken to get her used to red meat. Then by the time you start getting deer she will be ready for it. I'd also start that by mixing it with bone in chicken for the first little while to avoid stomach issues.

SaraB

Even though you are going to be able to use everything from that deer it's still a good idea to add in a variety of proteins/organs. The key to feeding raw is to provide as much variety as possible so that they don't miss out on key nutrients. A dog in the wild wouldn't feast solely on deer but possible rodents, rabbits, birds, etc.

JessLough

Love My Mutt
Even though you are going to be able to use everything from that deer it's still a good idea to add in a variety of proteins/organs. The key to feeding raw is to provide as much variety as possible so that they don't miss out on key nutrients. A dog in the wild wouldn't feast solely on deer but possible rodents, rabbits, birds, etc.
that was my first thought too

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
oh dont worry, I still will be adding the organs.

stardogs

Behavior Nerd
Our dogs get turkey necks and beef ribs raw and we've never had an issue, even though they don't eat it full time. I tend to shy away from chicken since it tends to have one of the highest bacteria counts, but I know it is the cheapest to get, so ymmv.

jenv101

Bite Club
Variety over time is the key... mine get a lot of deer during hunting season as well. As long as they get enough bone and organs along with it, should be no problems.

SaraB

Variety over time is the key... mine get a lot of deer during hunting season as well. As long as they get enough bone and organs along with it, should be no problems.
Oh ya, mine get a ton of deer during hunting season, but it's not their only food source during that time. I give probably 3/4 meals of venison, but 1/4 something else. Just making sure she isn't intending on feeding nothing but venison for several months.

Members online

No members online now.