this humping is getting old

nancy2394

Okay, Lola has had issues in the past with humping. But since Boomer has died.... her humping has gone into overdrive. She is even humping the cat and he's so not happy about this. I can't even wiggle or stretch my foot or leg without her jumping on and start grinding. When you kick her off she runs in a circle and jumps right back on and goes to town. She's gotten me a few times where she clamped on so tight that I thought she drew blood with her nails. Do you think this has anything to do with Boomer passing?

Barb04

Super Moderator
I first have to say I'm sorry for laughing. I don't know why Lola has gotten worse doing this. Maybe she's missing the exercise she got with Boomer and your leg is her new friend.

nancy2394

I first have to say I'm sorry for laughing. I don't know why Lola has gotten worse doing this. Maybe she's missing the exercise she got with Boomer and your leg is her new friend.
I feel bad for the cat because once she jumps on his back... he can't get away from her because she's heavier than him. I try not to laugh because I don't want to encourage her behavior.. but sometimes it's just down right funny because she gets so out of breath from humping so hard. She has gotten TJ before and he's lifted his leg up in the air and she manages to hang on and keeps humping when his leg is in mid air.

Sweet72947

Squishy face
It may be the way she is letting out pent up energy and frustration and such from Boomer's passing and everything. I would
1. See if I could give her more exercise and mental stimulation, like a few training sessions a day and a couple romps, and
2. Whenever she starts humping you or the cat I would remove her from the room and crate her for a time out.

Gustav

Don't encourage me..
Why on earth would you want to train your dog to hump you? :yikes:

lizzybeth727

Why on earth would you want to train your dog to hump you? :yikes:
One way to stop a dog from doing an annoying behavior is to put the behavior on cue, and then just don't give the cue, or cue the dog to do it so much that he gets tired of it. It's kind of like the people who make teenagers smoke cigarette after cigarette until they get sick... by that point it's no fun anymore and they're less likely to do it on their own.

So with humping, you can reward the dog for humping on cue. Cue him to hump so many times that he gets tired of it, and then stop cueing it.... the chances of him humping on his own after that are much less.

Once you have humping on cue (and under stimulus control, so that he doesn't hump unless cued), you can also use it as a reward. Humping is a very self-reinforcing behavior, and giving the dog the chance to do it could be highly reiforcing.

It's really no different than how I recently taught a dog to jump in my lap as a reward. She loved jumping in my lap, but of course this was not allowed (mostly because she was about 55 lbs!). So I put it on cue, and on stimulus control, and used it to reward really great behaviors. She never did it without being cued, because she knew that if she did the other things I was asking her to do, I'd eventually let her jump on me.

Island dog

One way to stop a dog from doing an annoying behavior is to put the behavior on cue, and then just don't give the cue, or cue the dog to do it so much that he gets tired of it. It's kind of like the people who make teenagers smoke cigarette after cigarette until they get sick... by that point it's no fun anymore and they're less likely to do it on their own.

So with humping, you can reward the dog for humping on cue. Cue him to hump so many times that he gets tired of it, and then stop cueing it.... the chances of him humping on his own after that are much less.

Once you have humping on cue (and under stimulus control, so that he doesn't hump unless cued), you can also use it as a reward. Humping is a very self-reinforcing behavior, and giving the dog the chance to do it could be highly reiforcing.

It's really no different than how I recently taught a dog to jump in my lap as a reward. She loved jumping in my lap, but of course this was not allowed (mostly because she was about 55 lbs!). So I put it on cue, and on stimulus control, and used it to reward really great behaviors. She never did it without being cued, because she knew that if she did the other things I was asking her to do, I'd eventually let her jump on me.

Good marriage advice as well!

Members online

No members online now.