Dog's eating behavior is odd.

My dog is refusing to eat his normal food of Evo 95% meat with Orijen kibble. I got him some Natures Variety Medallions, because I figured it was a good time to switch to raw anyways, and he won't eat that either.

He has no problem eating Evo Biscuits and cheddar cheese cubes, or drinking Kefir, and if I "accidentally" drop some kibble, he'll gobble it right up.

I've tried giving him his bowl for only five minutes at a time, but that doesn't seem to be working.

Has anyone experienced this before, or knows what the problem is?

I heard garlic powder can stimulate the appetite, is this true? Are there any other things I can use to make his food more appealing?

Herschel

I've tried giving him his bowl for only five minutes at a time, but that doesn't seem to be working.
If he is healthy, there is no reason for you to stimulate appetite.

If he doesn't eat, give him 15 minutes and then pick up the food. Present it again for his next meal. Same thing--if he doesn't eat, no food.

Try that for 3 days and then let us know if he is still being picky. :)

fillyone

But please, call me Barb
How old is your dog and how long has it been since he's eaten?

If Dante walks away from his bowl he doesn't get another chance until the next regularly scheduled feeding time :)

Lilavati

Arbitrary and Capricious
I think what you should do depends on how many meals he's missed. If its just one or two, then take his bowl away and offer it again at his next feeding time. If its getting to be more than that, a couple days, then I'd see a vet.

But it might be age (how old is he?) or just a quirk . . .Sarama, for example, never eats much when it rains. No idea why, she just doesn't, so I've come to expect it and not worry. Or he could not like the food. But dogs tend to eat when they are hungry enough . . .if its long enough that he should be really hungry, and he's still refusing . . . then I'd worry.

Members online

No members online now.