Bassets and Bloodhounds

basset

Does anyone have any experience of the differences of owning basset hounds compared to bloodhounds? I have two wonderful bassets and was thinking of getting either another basset or a bloodhound in the future. Does anyone know any differences in temperament, exercise requirements, sociability, etc, between them? I would really appreciate any advice.

In general, bloodhounds are more active and a bit more independant than bassets. Both are stubborn, but both are also great with kids.

Sorry, don't know too much about either breed.

joce

I've also heard that bloodhounds are one of the hardest dogs to train. I think it might have even been put that they are the dumbest:eek: but I think it is because they are so driven on what they smell its hard to focus on the people. I have met a couple that seeemed smart but I have also seen a couple who took years on the house training. I think it really depends on if the dog gets to work or not.

~Tucker&Me~

I agree with Joce.
I have heard they are VERY intent on 'what's smellin', LOL. Not easy AT ALL to train apparently.
But my info isn't first hand, so I may be wrong.
~Tucker

FoxyWench

Salty Sea Dog
ive not realy knwon many blood hounds but have heard they have slective deafness, there deaf only when you tell them to do something...mention traking or treat though and there generally miraculously able to hear again lol.
fro what ive heard of bassets there stubborn but im told the bloodhound is down selectivly deaf lol.

and once thier nose is to the ground, forget it, when there nose is working their ears aint usually a very securly fenced yard is a must with bloodhounds because they'll track anything...right out of the yard...

excersize requirments im led to belive a blood hound requires about 4 times the amount of run/walk time a basset needs... but i think there pretty simmilar in their stubborn ness...and they are aparently very loving when there not sniffin!

Amstaffer

I have only met them at the dog parks (lots of bassets, only one bloodhound). Personality wise they seem to be very social with both humans and dogs. Bassets seem to bark more, otherwise didn't notice much difference in personality just the clear size difference.

For what it is worth...Athena's (my female dog) favorite breed of dog is the basset, hands down. If I take her to the dog park and there is a basset hound there she will follow it around and ignore all the other dogs. She doesn't really play with them, she just like being near them....really strange :)

DanL

We had a rescue basset when I was a kid. Not a very bright bulb. My old boss had a bloodhound. She was experienced with dogs and had a very very difficult time even getting him housebroken. Another dim bulb. :)

basset

Thanks everyone for your replies. It is great to get your views. I understand about the stubborness and "selective hearing" aspect, as my two bassets are masters at this! I get the feeling that maybe overall bloodhounds are pretty much like bassets, just bigger and maybe more intense when it comes to sniffing? It is primarily the difference in exercise requirements that is slightly perplexing me. By the way, just have to say that in my experience with bassets, and the few bloodhounds I have met, they are not dumb dogs at all! They are very independent minded, stubborn and take their own sweet time generally in doing what you ask of them, but with the right motivation you can certainly train them. Sherlock, my blind basset, in particular is very bright.
Once again, thanks everyone!:)

basset

Oh, and forgot to say that I loved hearing about Athena following bassets around at the dog park lol! She sounds like a very sweet dog!

filarotten

Fila the love
I watched a special on bloodhounds, ( they are in the founding of Filas hereditary background) I found it very interesting. The bloodhounds are very smart, just very hard headed and intense on what they are smelling. It takes someone with the appropriate expertise, knowledge, and patience to make them intro wonderful well mannered scent hounds.

Oh, and Renee, is right, there is a large size difference. lol

Personally, I think they are adorable,

Amstaffer

basset said:
Oh, and forgot to say that I loved hearing about Athena following bassets around at the dog park lol! She sounds like a very sweet dog!
Yeah its a pretty sweet thing to watch. I thought at first that it was just short legged dogs but she has no interest in Dachshund, she just likes her bassets... :p

Dani

Ninja Dog
I think my mom used to have a Basset Hound. She said he was pretty lazy, lol, but a sweetie. A friend of my dad's had one. He was goofy, he hopped into the drivers seat of our car. Overall good dogs.

I have no experience with Bloodhounds, though.

Sirius

Imagination ROCKS.
Bloodhounds are patient and mild-mannered, and great with kids. They are really energetic when young, but slow down with age. If you intend on training one, you must have TONNES of patience and be firm. Key is being consistent: they know that they can get their way by drooping around the house all day and acting pathetic. :p Don't expect too much advanced obedience, they have minds of their own and prefer to make their own decisions. Not a good guarddog, he will happily greet unwanted strangers. A few of them are protective of their territories, but if out on a walk is a social butterfly. They can live in harmony with other dogs (not the same sex) and other household pets. Bloodhounds can never be offleash (outside). They will find a scent and follow it for up to 100 miles! Studies prove that 90% of bloodhound owners do not let their dogs off leash for this reason.
Bloodhounds are prone to bloating. Feed them 2-3 small meals a day instead of 1 big meal. Avoid exercise after meals. Prone to hip dysplasia, and ear infections. A padded bed is reccommended to prevent calluses on the joints. May get entropion where the eyelids turn inward.

Hope that helped.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.