Harrison is missing.

Well apparently we spooked them yesterday because I got a phone call today that he was seen yesterday back on our side of the highway, so I've postered all of that area, and he seems to be heading back towards our house. I'm going to walk that path and hope that he follows the scent home.
I would be suspicious that the sketchy neighbors called in the tip and were trying to throw you off.

milos_mommy

I agree, those people sound like weirdos. Honestly I think a lot of people mean well and have some screwy belief that if someone was responsible their dog wouldn't have gotten loose....so they're probably taking OK care of him, just being weirdos.

I would definitely report him stolen to the police, even if they don't DO anything at least you have it on record.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I've also thought of that unfortunately Landshark. I'm probably going to stake their house out tomorrow in my mom's car which is much more non descript than mine that has his missing posters on it.

I did make a police report that I believe he's been stolen. The ways of the world mean his monetary value as a SDiT that's already task trained make him much more valuable property than the average dog.

I have access to a trail cam but I don't know where I'd put it to catch them with him.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
is there somebody familiar to him back near your house in case hes heading that way?
Yes if he heads down one specific road there are two or three people plus everyone we've given flyers to over there. The other road there isn't anyone. :/

My dad feels the sighting was authentic, and I feel like the lady was being genuine. If he was at that house he either escaped or he was turned loose/dumped out because of the heat surrounding him. I was walking Indy in the neighborhood he was seen in and a lot of people thought she was him :p even though his lost poster clearly shows a brown dog. Not black and brindle.

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
I cannot even imagine. But it sounds like you are hot on his trail! All of the continued VIBES that he's caught soon!! He's going to be so happy when he finally gets home!

I would try setting up another bait station near the last sighting and setup the trail cam to see if it's him taking the bait or not. I'm really thinking that it's not just coincidence that you had a tip called in the day after you confronted them...

What I'm thinking these sick sobs did was move Harrison to a safehouse of sorts until the heat dies down. Why turn the dog loose instead of being like, "Oh we've been caring for him and he's been a great house guest" and then handing him over? Now keep in mind, I am highly distrusting of other people and you can blow this theory off but people have gotten away with worse things than stealing dogs by lying.

I'd also probably start making signs that say the dog was stolen.

GoingNowhere

I'm really thinking that it's not just coincidence that you had a tip called in the day after you confronted them...

What I'm thinking these sick sobs did was move Harrison to a safehouse of sorts until the heat dies down. Why turn the dog loose instead of being like, "Oh we've been caring for him and he's been a great house guest" and then handing him over? Now keep in mind, I am highly distrusting of other people and you can blow this theory off but people have gotten away with worse things than stealing dogs by lying.

I'd also probably start making signs that say the dog was stolen.
I think it's important not to make assumptions. Some people are just not particularly helpful. They may not like dogs, they may not like strangers, they may just be nasty people, they may have been having a bad day, etc. etc. While I think that filing a police report is not necessarily a bad idea, I am very glad that you are not jumping to conspiracy theory conclusions. When Boo was gone and we had a tracker with us, there was a man who refused to allow the search dog to cross his lawn, and was very guarded, but then made a stray comment that he "thinks he saw a black dog go that way." He was thoroughly unhelpful and didn't let us know about his sighting until he was physically approached (versus taking a second to call the number on the flyers plastered EVERYWHERE), but he didn't steal my dog.

Just be careful to dismiss the newest sighting because you're stuck on the idea that someone stole your dog. It doesn't sound like you're ignoring the sighting, but I just thought I'd throw that out there.

Dogs can sound similar. From my personal experience, I think that it is often easy to determine which bark does not belong to your dog, but between similar barks, can be near impossible to know if it was your dog.

I'd say especially if you live in an area that is known for crime, I wouldn't be surprised if a neighbor didn't want to open their door the whole way. Heck, I live in a nice(ish) area, but if a stranger knocked on my door when I was home alone, I sure wouldn't open it if I was concerned about ANYTHING at all regarding the situation.

Good luck finding him. He's still in my thoughts.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
Well, as it turns out, the call in was either a false lead or they were deliberately trying to throw me off, because their neighbors confirmed they only have one dog. Then the daughter said she was 100% certain she saw him run into the woods around 5:45 yesterday evening from behind their house.

So I'll be chilling in that neighborhood tomorrow, and putting bait out behind their house.

teacuptiger

floor dancer
Well, as it turns out, the call in was either a false lead or they were deliberately trying to throw me off, because their neighbors confirmed they only have one dog. Then the daughter said she was 100% certain she saw him run into the woods around 5:45 yesterday evening from behind their house.

So I'll be chilling in that neighborhood tomorrow, and putting bait out behind their house.
*HUGS* I really, really hope you get him back very soon.

I would put out flyers with the word STOLEN in large red letters to scare them. Maybe you can put them in their mailbox.

Do you have any money for a reward? Maybe you could set up a GoFundMe account to raise money to offer as a reward.

I wouldn't scare them, they'll just do something more drastic if they are involved now. Let them think you've moved on, and they'll get more lax about things. If they're involved, it's easier to catch people that don't think they're being watched.

xpaeanx

Is 5:45 a regular time frame for them to let him out?

If so, then I'd park my car outside the neighborhood and walk Indy a back way into the woods and wait for him. When he's released and runs into the woods, just clip and go.

DJEtzel

I wouldn't scare them, they'll just do something more drastic if they are involved now. Let them think you've moved on, and they'll get more lax about things. If they're involved, it's easier to catch people that don't think they're being watched.
100% agree.

I'd be camping in those woods with Indy until you got him.

FG167

Is 5:45 a regular time frame for them to let him out?

If so, then I'd park my car outside the neighborhood and walk Indy a back way into the woods and wait for him. When he's released and runs into the woods, just clip and go.
I like these ideas the best.

CharlieDog

Rude and Not Ginger
I'm not sure if they're still keeping him or not, but I have been camping out in the woods with Indy. She's telling me he's still in the area, and has been recently, so I'll be hanging out without a vehicle over there in the afternoons in the woods. I actually found a deer stand that I can see the back of their house from and I've put bait stations out behind their house. I'm going to get a trail cam to make sure it's him coming to eat the food (it's really stinky wet food so even a dog that's eating regularly is going to come and eat)

I just want my dog back. :/

Members online

No members online now.