Puppy question

berniecpa

My 1 year old poodle mixed constantly jumps on you, or on anything. Is this normal? How do you get a dog to not jump up on you, or everyone he sees? Not that its a bad thing, but he likely to break something at some point.

Fran27

Ignoring supposedly work, although I've been working on it for 10 months with my golden and he still hasn't quite got it...

Brattina88

A good way to get your dog to stop jumping is by telling him what to do instead of what not to do. When you see him about to spring up, or even if he already has, tell him to "sit." I've never met anyone who could jump and sit at the same time, so it works :p It'll teach him that sitting will get him the attention much better than jumping

amymarley

berniecpa said:
My 1 year old poodle mixed constantly jumps on you, or on anything. Is this normal? How do you get a dog to not jump up on you, or everyone he sees? Not that its a bad thing, but he likely to break something at some point.
Hi, first off you have a poodle...they jump. I recommend you research the breed...that's why you see them doing "flips" at circuses. Some of which is bred into them. They are very "bouncy."

Second, if you hate it, go to a training course with a trainer. Also, a good thing may be putting him/her into agility, to wear off the hyperness! It would be great for you and great exercise for your poodle mix.

Fran27

Brattina88 said:
A good way to get your dog to stop jumping is by telling him what to do instead of what not to do. When you see him about to spring up, or even if he already has, tell him to "sit." I've never met anyone who could jump and sit at the same time, so it works :p It'll teach him that sitting will get him the attention much better than jumping
Yeah, I agree. The problem is that half the time, as soon as the dog has sat for more than 30 seconds, he jumps again :p My guess is that they are not always jumping just to get attention but also because they just like it...

T

tessa_s212

Your dog is jumping for attention. THe best thing is to ignore him/her completely. When he/she stops jumping, treats, treats, treats!

Stay very consistant, but if that doesn't work, try telling him "sit" while he is jumping. If she/he sits, she/he is reinforced the for good behavior. Whatever method you choose to use, she/he will eventually, not jumping(or sitting) will get him treats and positive attention.

Dizzy

Sit! Good dog.
Cross your arms, and look up. Turn your back on the dog.

Even eye contact is a reward of sorts.

This works when Bodhi tries to jump up!

Make sure you praise well if they sit for you, or stand calmly!!

PFC1

Brattina88 said:
This is pretty much what we did. He knows he isn't supposed to jump, he is supposed to sit. The only problem is that now when he is very excited about greeting someone (i.e., whenever he meets any living human being on the face of the planet), he very excitedly whips his hind end around 180 degress to sit at their feet, slamming his hind quarters firmly against their left leg, while slamming his head upwards into their thigh to look up at them. Its cute, but it can be be pretty forceful since he weighs about 90 lbs.

R

RedyreRottweilers

PFC1 said:
This is pretty much what we did. He knows he isn't supposed to jump, he is supposed to sit. The only problem is that now when he is very excited about greeting someone (i.e., whenever he meets any living human being on the face of the planet), he very excitedly whips his hind end around 180 degress to sit at their feet, slamming his hind quarters firmly against their left leg, while slamming his head upwards into their thigh to look up at them. Its cute, but it can be be pretty forceful since he weighs about 90 lbs.
Some suggestions that might help:

1) keep the puppy on a leash and control his behavior when greeting people. I recommend people begin this sort of training as SOON as they get the puppy, and I'm sure you are beginning to understand why. ;)
2) Get into a training class, and teach the puppy how to pay attention.

He does not know he is not supposed to jump. He only knows you get displeased or angry when he does.

Get in class, the pup needs mental exercise. More physical exercise would also probably help. I always say, a tired puppy is a good puppy. :D

he's a puppy, and will tend to get excited sometimes. maybe let him jump around while he's outside or something, and therefore there is not much chance he'll knock something over. if you have a fenced in backyard, let him out, and run around with him, let him jump on you as a sort of tag game or something, so he could get that energy out.

bubbatd

Sorry, but at a year old a dog should know not to jump. Yes, at times Chip does this to much of my dismay with people he loves , but an " off! " takes care of it.

Sheba

I W A L R
bubbatd said:
Sorry, but at a year old a dog should know not to jump. Yes, at times Chip does this to much of my dismay with people he loves , but an " off! " takes care of it.
You know, poodles or poodle mixes are 'jumpy' ! LOL anmd a simple 'off' works with Wendy, very much agreed with that part!

Members online

No members online now.