Hitting spanking slapping popping

crazedACD

If the dogs fight in the house, they usually get hit by a chair/barstool coming between them to distract them enough to pull them apart.

I have no interest in smacking a dog or cat for training/behavior. I can't think of where they would really 'get' what I'm doing. I have/will use prongs and choke chains and it works for me, I've got the hang of phasing them out.

I've smacked horses though in certain situations because nagging at them doesn't do much. I'm not too big on them walking over me because they feel silly..haha. Respect ze personal space.

Barbara!

I was always taught that being physical with horses is almost a must. Idk though, I have very limited experience in that area.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
I was always taught that being physical with horses is almost a must. Idk though, I have very limited experience in that area.
Me too, but in retrospect, I think that's bullshit. I wish somebody had set better examples for me when I was young and learning about horses. I'd do so many things differently.

Danefied

Samesies. Management/crisis mode is different than training.

As for the rest of it... I have a temper. I understand frustration. I mean, my god, I work at a daycare/boarding kennel. I have been, at times, frustrated, exhausted, in pain, and absolutely pushed past my threshold for sanity and rational behavior.

We all do things we regret out of anger/frustration, and I am no exception and I am certainly no saint. But I view physical punishment as either the extreme spectrum of management (or self defense), or simply a mistake on the handler's part.

I have gone through a steep learning curve regarding impulse control working in an environment where my buttons get pushed repeatedly by dogs that aren't mine and that I don't have the capacity to actually train. Losing my temper has never, ever given me any satisfaction in the end. Usually I just feel like a douche.

My motto is to be the smarter animal, and defuse conflict instead of escalate it. Or at least to try. I have never, ever come to regret being patient and understanding. Ever. I have, without exception, regretted letting my temper dictate my interactions with animals.

As for formal training, oh HELL no. It doesn't teach them anything except that you can and will cross that line with them, and to be scared of doing whatever it is they were doing when you whacked them. And I view using physical "cues" like popping and swatting as a total failure on my part as a trainer. If I can't get their attention without that, I have some seriously neglected foundation work.

Beyond humane treatment of animals, I've not seen hitting/popping/spanking/slapping/jerking promote much in the way of learning or improved behavior. Lack of behavior, sometimes, but that's about it. And call me cold, but that's also a major motivation of mine. I want effective training strategies, not just those that make me feel better or stroke my ego.
Great post. Lots of good posts on this thread.

Codswallop.
Try getting physical with a half ton animal who doesn’t want to do what you’re trying to make him do. Always fun to watch the end of the event and people trying to load the *tired* horse in to a trailer. Nope, you can’t force a half ton animal do do anything period. Clicker train ‘em in to a trailer though, and you’re good to go.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
I've hit a dog before when I was younger. I was taught you were supposed to spank them and be 'alpha'. In return I got bitten.

Since then I try to not get to that point where I react without thinking. I don't think it does any good at all.

I've had to kick Mia to prevent her from jumping up into the oven when it was on. She cried and cried but I only did it out of reflex and for her own safety.

Mia likes to be gently kicked in play though. :p

M

MyHorseMyRules

As for the rest of it... I have a temper. I understand frustration. I mean, my god, I work at a daycare/boarding kennel. I have been, at times, frustrated, exhausted, in pain, and absolutely pushed past my threshold for sanity and rational behavior.

We all do things we regret out of anger/frustration, and I am no exception and I am certainly no saint. But I view physical punishment as either the extreme spectrum of management (or self defense), or simply a mistake on the handler's part.

I have gone through a steep learning curve regarding impulse control working in an environment where my buttons get pushed repeatedly by dogs that aren't mine and that I don't have the capacity to actually train. Losing my temper has never, ever given me any satisfaction in the end. Usually I just feel like a douche.

My motto is to be the smarter animal, and defuse conflict instead of escalate it. Or at least to try. I have never, ever come to regret being patient and understanding. Ever. I have, without exception, regretted letting my temper dictate my interactions with animals.

As for formal training, oh HELL no. It doesn't teach them anything except that you can and will cross that line with them, and to be scared of doing whatever it is they were doing when you whacked them. And I view using physical "cues" like popping and swatting as a total failure on my part as a trainer. If I can't get their attention without that, I have some seriously neglected foundation work.

Beyond humane treatment of animals, I've not seen hitting/popping/spanking/slapping/jerking promote much in the way of learning or improved behavior. Lack of behavior, sometimes, but that's about it. And call me cold, but that's also a major motivation of mine. I want effective training strategies, not just those that make me feel better or stroke my ego.
I haven't read the whole thread, but this just about sums up my opinion. I do beat on Boone in play. I thump him all over, and he loves every minute of it. I may also reach over and "pop" him and be like, "Hey, you. Yeah, you. You're the handsomest dog in the world. (Though not yet proven in a widely recognized venue, it's still true. So there.)"

...I've totally intimidated, stomped at, and yelled at my dogs out of frustration...I don't take pride in it and make no excuses.

I figure the glory is in the progress.
This.

elegy

overdogged
In those cases, I don't view it as training. I view it as "crisis management". Your dog trying to eat a kid =/= a training moment. You do whatever is necessary to keep everyone safe and alive, then go back and train later when the dog isn't overstimulated and nobody is in danger.
This.

But in training? No. Not ever.

And that is not to say I haven't lost my temper with my dogs and gotten physical with them, because I have (with Luce and Mushroom, mostly-- losing my temper is really not an option with Steve because of his temperament). But was I in the right? Absolutely not.

crazedACD

Great post. Lots of good posts on this thread.

Codswallop.
Try getting physical with a half ton animal who doesn’t want to do what you’re trying to make him do. Always fun to watch the end of the event and people trying to load the *tired* horse in to a trailer. Nope, you can’t force a half ton animal do do anything period. Clicker train ‘em in to a trailer though, and you’re good to go.
Ugh..I never would go when friends nearly had 'parties' to get their horse to load. I never had problems with any of mine.

I don't think trying to use physical pain to coerce them into doing something works that well. I do think a swat works pretty well when you are about to get run over/bit/stepped on/whatnot.

My neighbor had this paint pony thing that reared. Like you got on him...and he reared. And then trotted half way around, stopped, reared. Jumped..stopped..reared. I actually managed to get him working for me pretty well when she asked for help with him. She would get on him, he reared. So..one time, she got pissed off enough that she got off him and started alternating whipping him with the end of the reins and yanking on his mouth. I was across that arena like nothing, grabbing the pony away, and we were yelling at each other..ugh. I told her to get back ON him and see how far she gets doing that. I tried to buy him from her and she sold him out from under me.
People treat horses so so poorly..I mean what does that even accomplish? I've seen more than my fair share of abuse and I don't tolerate it well.

Barbara!

There was a Friesian we boarded that only liked people that hit her. Maybe she was a masochist?

Danefied

There was a Friesian we boarded that only liked people that hit her. Maybe she was a masochist?
What behavior was evidence to you that this mare “liked†someone? Horses are just as good at appeasement gestures as dogs - and humans are just as quick to interpret appeasement as “likeâ€.

adojrts

I couldn't begin to count the number of horses I have worked with, been around for my entire life (thousands). Never heard or seen that ^^^^, would have to see it to understand and suspect there is more going on. And would be very very interested in seeing a vid of it.

Horses are often in major conflict with people, some just tolerate better than others. And there are just as many misunderstood horses that are taught to be in conflict with man and it is sad. You fight with the wrong horse and they will with intent kill you.

Danefied

Did he ever arrive? I'm guessing he was too busy spinning in circles barking.

Yeah, I've totally intimidated, stomped at, and yelled at my dogs out of frustration in the past. I don't take pride in it and make no excuses.

I figure the glory is in the progress.
X100

Have you seen that Michael Ellis video where he says basically this? Good stuff....

Paige

Let it be
I feel horrible for horses. They are very mistreated under the name of "training". :(

Flyinsbt

It's never "okay", but sometimes, it's understandable. I certainly don't swat my dogs to train, but I can't say I've never gotten overly rough. Just yesterday, I swatted Tess, because she was being a butt to poor old Tully. Picking on the old dog is kind of a hot button with me, and makes me behave badly. I don't think I swatted Tess hard enough to hurt her (swatted her shoulder), but yeah, it was a swat.

I will say, the one time I got really physical to try and save a life (dog had hold of a neighbor's cat), it didn't do any good at all, and in retrospect, I should have found different ways to try to get the dog to release. So I did feel very terrible about that, it was a panic reaction, and it was the wrong one.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady

Geeze your post just keeps getting quoted lol. But seriously, this is in a nutshell exactly how I feel on the subject... And I can tell you I totally relate to the frustrations of working at a dog daycare/boarding kennel.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
And I can tell you I totally relate to the frustrations of working at a dog daycare/boarding kennel.
Aaaahhhh!!! LOL. You know. Oh, you know.

We just vent by saying awful things. Like, "Jack was being so awful, he wouldn't stop harassing Murphy so I punched his brains in." And really what that means is "I used my shame on you tone of voice and put him a crate for 10 minutes." LOL

ETA: Today a dog jumped up and gripped me with her dews sooooo hard and raked them down my leg so bad it drew a little bit of blood. I yelled, "ROXY ARHGH @^%#$#&*V@&*#$*&#" and clenched my hands into fists and held them over my head so I wouldn't do something I regretted. -_- Oh daycare.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
Aaaahhhh!!! LOL. You know. Oh, you know.

We just vent by saying awful things. Like, "Jack was being so awful, he wouldn't stop harassing Murphy so I punched his brains in." And really what that means is "I used my shame on you tone of voice and put him a crate for 10 minutes." LOL

ETA: Today a dog jumped up and gripped me with her dews sooooo hard and raked them down my leg so bad it drew a little bit of blood. I yelled, "ROXY ARHGH @^%#$#&*V@&*#$*&#" and clenched my hands into fists and held them over my head so I wouldn't do something I regretted. -_- Oh daycare.
Haha I totally understand. I remember the vizsla that comes periodically to board. I usually stick her in a bottom crate, but if there are none available she has to go in a higher level crate. I hate picking her up to put her in a crate because she is adamant about vaulting off of you into the crate. She managed to rake my head with her back claws trying to vault one time and my head started bleeding.

The dogs that won't stop barking non stop the ENTIRE day are the ones that make me want to claw my ears out. It takes everything I have to stay sane. Thay environment can really drive you crazy sometimes.

Flyinsbt

The dogs that won't stop barking non stop the ENTIRE day are the ones that make me want to claw my ears out. It takes everything I have to stay sane. Thay environment can really drive you crazy sometimes.
I absolutely lost it with a client's dog once, years ago, when I worked for a vet where we did boarding. I didn't hurt the dog, of course! But it was an Old English Sheepdog, that would bark incessantly when in a run. And I had to stand in the doorway of the room he was kenneled in, letting each dog outside to potty, and listening to the bark bark bark. I finally shouted "I SAID SHUT UP!", ran across the room, and kicked the door of the run, hard. The dog shut up. I said "lie down!", and the dog lay down. He didn't bark at me again. After that, all I had to do when he was there was look at him and say "I said shut up...", and he'd be quiet. Poor guy must have been convinced that I was an absolute crazy person.

Fortunately, he really was a sound tempered dog, and it was a single incident, so it didn't do him any real harm, and we still got along fine. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a management technique, though, and I did feel bad about it. Even though it worked. It shouldn't have.

SpringerLover

Buzz used to love it when we'd wrestle. His old bones don't appreciate it anymore. He doesn't even really like to play bitey hand where I "slap" his muzzle.

Bailey quite enjoys being picked at. I "pinch" her and she spins around with a grin and barks at me. Sometimes I shove her too.

The Golden Guest is learning to enjoy physical play. Today she was leaping around and bouncing off me and actually enjoyed it when I shoved her away!

I absolutely lost it with a client's dog once, years ago, when I worked for a vet where we did boarding. I didn't hurt the dog, of course! But it was an Old English Sheepdog, that would bark incessantly when in a run. And I had to stand in the doorway of the room he was kenneled in, letting each dog outside to potty, and listening to the bark bark bark. I finally shouted "I SAID SHUT UP!", ran across the room, and kicked the door of the run, hard. The dog shut up. I said "lie down!", and the dog lay down. He didn't bark at me again. After that, all I had to do when he was there was look at him and say "I said shut up...", and he'd be quiet. Poor guy must have been convinced that I was an absolute crazy person.

Fortunately, he really was a sound tempered dog, and it was a single incident, so it didn't do him any real harm, and we still got along fine. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as a management technique, though, and I did feel bad about it. Even though it worked. It shouldn't have.
Oh god one day I was frantically looking for something I couldn't find and my husband needed something and the dogs were all buzzing around getting in my face and I finally just stood up and yelled (not even really at anyone in particular) WOULD YOU ALL JUST GO AWAY!!! Poor dogs just all slunk off with their feelings broken into a million pieces and I felt like a monster. Fortunately it didn't do any lasting harm, either and we all kissed and made up, but... nothing like a sad-faced Squashies to remind you to keep control of your dang self.

Members online

No members online now.