Stud Dog Question

I have a question for you breeders. Say you find the perfect stud to complement you bitch, everything is going great, but the breeding doesn't take. Do you still pay the stud fee? Do you try again next heat for free? What if you try to do things the natural way, but your bitch won't have anything to do with the chosen stud? Do you try AI for free? Or does it all depend on the owner of the stud?
Of course, we are assuming that you have done all heath tests and are a very responsible breeder! :)

W

whatszmatter

No you don't get AI for free, that stuff costs a few bucks. But customarily you get one breeding if that doesn't take, you usually get to try again. But it depends on what type of contract you have with the stud owner. Paying a stud fee doesn't ensure puppies, or secure you unlimited access till an actual breeding takes place.

Mach1girl

AI costs my husband $22 the first time and $10 the second.(Not for HIM, for the dogs!!!)

From the research that I did for that short period of time, if things dont work out naturally, the owner of whomever is wanting the breeding pays for the AI. If nothing takes, either you try again next time, or get your money back.

Personally, I wouldnt pay until it was verified that the breeding took. And I thought that usually, the pregnancy had to be verified before payment.

R

RedyreRottweilers

A contract with a stud dog is for the dog to service the bitch, and nothing more.

It is up to the owner of the dog as to whether he feels it is necessary to guarantee puppies. Most will guarantee 2-3 live puppies, or offer a return service.

Payment is nearly always expected at the time of the service. All contracts specify that no resultant puppies are guaranteed, that the fee is for the SERVICE, not the puppies, and that no registration papers will be signed under any circumstances until all fees are paid in full.

Here is an example of a typical contract:

STUD SERVICE CONTRACT

Contract between _____________________, owner of stud dog __________________________________________, AKC# and ____________________________________, owner of bitch _________________________________,
AKC # ______________________.

1. Both parties agree that this breeding is being done for the betterment of the breed.

2. Bitch must be of good breed type and temperament, have no disqualifying faults under the current AKC breed standard and be in good health including. If, upon receipt of the bitch, in the opinion of the stud dog owner the bitch is found to have temperament or health problems or has any disqualifying fault, this contract shall be void. All transportation, boarding or veterinarian expenses for the bitch shall be paid by the owner of the bitch.

3. Owner of the bitch shall provide the following prior to breeding:

A. Copy of AKC registration
B. Copy of three generation pedigree and photo of bitch
C. If natural breeding, copy of negative brucellosis and mycoplasma tests (taken within 30 days of breeding) and culture and sensitivity tests take at the start of bitch’s current season
D. Copy of health certificate from bitch’s veterinarian
E. Copy of eye certification by CERF or a certified ophthalmologist
F. Copy of heart clearance
G. Copy of OFA clearance

4. Stud dog owner will provide the following prior to breeding:

A. Copy of AKC registration
B. Copy of three generation pedigree and photo of stud dog
C. If natural breeding, copy of negative brucellosis and mycoplasma taken within 30 days of breeding
D. Copy of eye certification
E. Copy of heart clearance
F. Copy of OFA clearance

5. Stud fee for this breeding is $___________, payable in cash, certified or bank check or other cash equivalent prior to breeding. All stud fees are non-refundable.

6. A litter of at least two puppies is guaranteed. If less than two puppies survive, a repeat breeding will be provided to the same bitch, preferably within her next two heat cycles. In order to receive a return stud service, stud dog owner must be notified within 48 hours of whelping if less than two puppies survive or within 65 days of the last breeding if the bitch fails to produce a live birth. Bitch owner assumes responsibility for all expenses relating to breeding the bitch, including but not limited to, AI, chilled semen and any testing done on the bitch to determine fertility.

7. Stud dog owner is not obligated to sign the AKC litter registration until the stud fee is paid in full and until any other related expenses incurred on behalf of the owner of the bitch are paid.

8. If this is to be a multiple sire breeding, bitch owner agrees to notify stud owner prior to breeding. Stud owner reserves the right to cancel this contract at that point. Bitch owner agrees to provide stud owner with the name of the other potential sire, as well as DNA results on any puppies produced from such a breeding.

Bitch owner otherwise agrees to keep the bitch confined and inaccessible to all other male dogs from the start to the conclusion of this heat.

9. Owner of bitch agrees that puppies will be placed in proper homes. Puppies will not be sold to puppy wholesalers or brokers, pet shops, guard or attack businesses, puppy mills or persons associated with such businesses.

All puppies shall be placed with contracts that specify:
A. Spay or neuter requirements and limited registration forms for all pet quality puppies
B. All show/breeding prospects shall not be bred prior to 24 months of age and until they have obtained and OFA certification number.
C. All show/breeding prospects must adhere to the current AKC breed standard prior to breeding
Owner of bitch shall provide stud dog owner with copies of such contracts upon request

IN THE EVENT THAT THIS CONTRACT IS BREACHED, BOTH PARTIES AGREE ATTORNEY FEES AND COSTS SHALL BE BORNE BY THE PREVAILING PARTY. ADDITIONALLY, ANY WILLFUL BREACH ON THE PART OF THE BITCH OWNER, AS DETERMINED BY A COURT OF LAW, SHALL RESULT IN PUNITIVE DAMAGES OF FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS [$5000.00] FOR DAMAGES TO THE REPUTATION OF THE STUD DOG AND STUD DOG OWNER.

THERE ARE NO OTHER AGREEMENTS, WRITTEN OR ORAL, BETWEEN THE PARTIES OTHER THAN THOSE EXPRESSED HEREIN. THIS CONTRACT CANNOT BE AMENDED UNLESS IN WRITING AND SIGNED BY BOTH PARTIES

ANY ACTION BROUGHT UNDER THIS CONTRACT SHALL BE BROUGHT IN THE STUD DOG OWNER’S STATE AND COUNTY OF RESIDENCE AT THE TIME THE ACTION IS FILED.

AGREED TO THIS ____ DAY OF _____________________

______________________________ _______________________________

--------------------------------------------------------

The AI I am planning will end up costing me around $1000.00 by the time it is done. Progesterone tests run about $50.00, and I will likely need at least 5 of them to determine the date of her ovulation. Could be less. Could be more.

The original office visit and workup will probably run about $100.00.

The actual surgical implant will run close to $700.00.

I am waiting to hear from the stud dog owner what the collection and shipment of semen will cost. I have budgeted $250.00 for that as of right now.

bubbatd

Sorry , I disagree . To me the stud fee has to guarantee a successful breeding . This is for a natural breeding . I've never dealt with bought semen .

ChRotties

Actually, the sample posted by Red is pretty standard in the Rottie world.
At least the ones I've looked at over the years.

Agrees with Red and ChRotties. The sample posted is pretty standard among all breeds. Though if the first breeding doesn't take a second breeding is uaually offered for free or at a reduced price as a profesionaly curtiousy. Breeding dogs and animals in general is a gamble, you don't know exactly what your going to get if anything at all. Stud fees usually reflect the qualities that a stud is able to pass on, and his first mating is almost always free or close to it. His fees will go up from there and depend on how well he psses on his desirable traits, how many pups he has on the ground, and how many of his pups are champions.

Sunnierhawk0

Feelin' Froggy? Jump!
Yup,

Looks like a common Rottie stud aggreement to me. Most contracts I have looked at usually offers the 2 or more live pups or a repeat.

R

RedyreRottweilers

I have never seen or heard of any canine stud dog contract that guarantees ANYTHING except service to the bitch.

Here is another example:

Stud Contract

Dog:_____________________________________________________________
OFA Hips _________ OFA Elbows _________ OFA Cardiac____________________
CERF ____________ Other Clearances _______ Tatoo/Microchip __________
DNA profile ___________ AKC Number _____________ D.O.B. _____________
Bitch Name___________________________________________________________
Bitch's D.O.B_____________ AKC/CKC Number________________________
OFA Hips________________ OFA Elbows_________________ OFA Cardiac________ CERF____________ Other Health Clearances ____________________

Bitch Owner_______________________________________________________ Bitch Co-Owner______________________________________________________
Address__________________________________________________________
Phone Number_____________ E-mail___________________________

Stud Dog owner enters into this agreement with the intent to help the Bitch owner to produce healthy puppies which, in both type and temperament, will be good representatives of the Rottweiler breed. To this end, the following items are included in this Stud Contract:

Bitch Qualifications
1. Bitch must be registered by the American Kennel Club or Canadian Kennel Club and be over 24 mos.
2. Bitch must be certified clear of Canine Hip Dysplasia and Cardiac disorders by the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals if inside the USA, or its foreign counterpart if outside the USA. Bitch must have an Elbow x-ray and CERF exam submitted and the results shared with Stud Dog Owner.
3. Bitch may have no disqualifying faults per the FCI Breed Standard for the Rottweiler and all genetic and/or health problems which exist or have existed in the bitch must be disclosed to Stud Dog owner.
4. Bitch must have good temperament, as evidenced by conformation or working titles. If the Bitch is not titled in a way to make good temperament probable, bitch owner agrees to make Bitch available for examination by Stud Dog owner. In cases where the Stud Dog owner cannot meet the bitch, owner will provide current photographs.
5. Bitch owner must provide Stud Dog owner with the bitch's three generation pedigree.
6. Bitch owner must provide current brucellosis results and a vaginal culture report performed within 14 days of the expected breeding.
7. Bitch owner warrants that this Bitch has not been exposed to any other Stud Dog from the start of her heat cycle.

Stud Fees/Expenses
1. A stud fee of $Private Treaty shall be payable in full prior to the first mating or insemination by cash or certified check unless other arrangements are made beforehand between the breeder and stud dog owner.
2. The Bitch owner is responsible for any and all fees associated with breeding, including, but not limited to veterinary Services, shipping fees, ovulation timing or artificial insemination fees.
3. The owner of the Stud Dog guarantees that the Bitch whelp 3 live puppies. If the Bitch fails to whelp or whelps less than three live puppies, the owner of the Bitch must notify the Stud Dog owner within 7 days of
the expected whelp date. In these cases, the Stud Dog owner will provide one repeat stud service to this Bitch or an agreed upon Bitch owned or co-owned by the same owner. In the case of a substitute Bitch, all requirements of the original contract must be met. In the case that the Bitch changes ownership, there is no obligation on the part of the Stud Dog owner to provide a repeat service.
4. If, after the second mating/insemination, the original Bitch again fails to whelp, the Stud Dog owner will offer services of Stud Dog once more, only after the Bitch has undergone examination by a reproductive
veterinarian and has had ovulation timing. Any attempt to mate/inseminate after the second unsuccessful mating or insemination, will be at no expense to the Stud Dog owner. In this case, Bitch owner will also incur the expense of frozen semen collection if the bitch is to be inseminated in this manner.
5. The stud fee shall not be refunded, in whole or in part, for any reason, except as specifically provided for within this contract.

Puppy Placement
1. Bitch owner agrees to involve _______________ in the decision making process when choosing homes for all puppies that result from this mating and will put the Stud Dog owner in touch with each prospective owner prior to promising any puppy.
2. Bitch owner agrees not to knowingly sell a puppy to a pet store, animal wholesaler or broker or via auction. No puppy may be sold either directly, or indirectly, to any party outside of North America without the express written consent of the Stud Dog owner.
3. Bitch owner agrees to sell all puppies on a written contract. Copy of this contract must be furnished to Stud Dog owner prior to first mating taking place. Furthermore, Bitch owner agrees to sell any puppy with a disqualifying fault per the FCI standard, on an AKC limited registration. For Bitch owners residing in Canada, pups must be sold on "non-breeding" contracts, which can be lifted once pups grow into dogs worthy of breeding.
4. Bitch owner agrees to provide the name, address and phone number of each puppy purchaser within 30 days of transfer of ownership and also agrees to provide each purchaser with the name, address and phone
number of the Stud Dog owner.
5. Bitch owner further agrees to provide each owner with a letter from the stud dog Sample Letter
6. Bitch owner agrees to assume responsibility for any resultant pups for their lifetimes and agrees to accept any puppy that is returned. Bitch owner further agrees to notify Stud Dog owner of any puppy, which results from this breeding, that cannot be kept by it's original owner. In such cases, Stud Dog owner is entitled to the "first right of refusal" in the case that the Bitch owner or Breeder cannot keep the puppy.

Furthermore, Stud Dog owner reserves the right to deny any breeder or bitch for any reason. In the case that the breeding has previously been approved, Stud Dog owner also reserves the right to later refuse any bitch that is aggressive to any person while attempting to breed naturally or artificially or whose breeder is found to not be in good standing with the American Kennel Club and Canadian Kennel Club. In either case, full stud fee, less $200 for expenses, will be refunded.

In breeding animals, there is always a risk that one may be injured during the process. Bitch owner agrees to hold the stud dog harmless from any liability or damage. In addition, the Bitch owner understands that the Stud Dog owner accepts no liability for the actions of this Bitch while in their care, including but not limited to personal injury or property damage.

It is specifically agreed that _____________ is not required to sign the application for registration of a resulting litter until such time as all expenses and stud fees are paid and all conditions of this contract are executed.

Any further agreement between the parties is set forth below:

This contract contains the entire agreement of the parties and shall be construed and enforced in accordance with the laws of the ___________. Both parties stipulate that there are no other agreements other than those set forth in this document. Any legal action filed by either party in an effort to enforce this contract, will be filed in _________________. If any legal action occurs, the prevailing party will be entitled to recover reasonable costs and attorney's fees. Each party acknowledges that they have
read and understand the terms and conditions of this Stud Service Contract and have voluntarily entered into and executed this agreement.

Signature of Stud Dog owner_______________________ Date ___________

Signature of Bitch owner______________________ Date____________
Signature of Bitch co-owner_________________________ Date__________

W

whatszmatter

I"ve never heard one that guaranteed anything other than service as well. and like I said before, its generally accepted that for the fee you get to breed her one heat, and if it doens't take, most will do it again free or for a reduced price, but the owner of the bitch is still responsible for getting the female to the stud, and payment is expected before the service is performed. I"ve never known anyone to wait until puppies are confirmed or born to pay or expect payment.

bubbatd

I didn't use my studs that often and always wanted my pick of the litter .

qwkslvr

Vizsla Mom
my question is, what happens if the female will not let the male do his thing? I guess some females are pretty bossy and the male could be somewhat scared of them and are afraid. I personally never have bred dogs so my knowledge is very limited, but this discussion peaked my interest.

Thanks, Pam

W

whatszmatter

if my female scared a stud dog that much, I would probably trust her instincts and find another stud dog. I believe there is a lot to this, about a year or so ago a friend of mine tried breeding her dog to a stud, and it would not happen. She was nasty (She's not normally a nasty dog), but she had another stud close by that she had in mind. Instead of wasting time with this other one she decided to see what the other would do. The bitch didn't put up any fight, you knew it was going to happen as soon as the stud caught wind of her. I've had the privledge of seeing some of the offspring now that they are about a year old and they are great young dogs.

Mach1girl

How much does AI typically cost in other areas?

Like I stated, ours was very cheap. And this was a vet who had been doing it for years and years and years.

Why spend tons of money to find out exact days of ovulation? Well, I guess if it is that important of a breeding that HAD to be taken. Because if you know your bitches heat, if you can tell that is (which I know you cant always) you would obviously try on the 10th day, 12th day and 14th day. I think that is what is was, I dont remember anymore.

I have also never heard of a stud fee for service only, does this mean "sex only"????Because I cant see the legit in that. If you pay for a stud to impregnate your bitch, that is what you are paying for. If she doesnt impregnate, than what have you paid for??A good time???

I know your bitch can get a test to insure her fertility, but the male isnt always fertile either.

Im no expert, but I have studied and researched it, and those were my findings in the past.

Mach1girl

if my female scared a stud dog that much, I would probably trust her instincts and find another stud dog. I believe there is a lot to this, about a year or so ago a friend of mine tried breeding her dog to a stud, and it would not happen. She was nasty (She's not normally a nasty dog), but she had another stud close by that she had in mind. Instead of wasting time with this other one she decided to see what the other would do. The bitch didn't put up any fight, you knew it was going to happen as soon as the stud caught wind of her. I've had the privledge of seeing some of the offspring now that they are about a year old and they are great young dogs.

Funny you shoulod say this. Dixie always hated other dogs, to the point of dangerously hating them. But when she was in heat she was totally different.

The vet had stated that she wasn't ready to breed yet. Her days of ovulation must not have been upon her, so she was nasty. When she was ready, she was ready!!!

R

RedyreRottweilers

When you have invested so much money in showing and titling, and a lot more in the breeding itself, when you have one shot at an insemination, and when you are having semen collected and shipped, and a surgical implant done, and when you have anxious and excited puppy people waiting, you want to be as sure as you can be.

Even if I were doing a natural breeding I want to know the exact day of ovulation for 3 reasons:

to have the highest chance of getting the bitch in whelp, to accurately be able to estimate the day of whelping, and to know when I need to have the Whelp Wise equipment here.

The dog I am using is currently in rather high demand, so he is not available to be at my disposal for a week's time.

Members online