When feeding a large breed pup, how many cups would you feed?

C

cindr

I am just curious, about this? Now I know what I wish to feed my growing Gsd pups at 8 weeks and that is 4 to 6 cups of food perday. Now we do go by energy level and growth levels: These feedings are segrigated into 4 feedings per day.

Now I just spoke to a Standard Poodle breeder, she only feeds 2 cups per dog per day. at a random feeding. In your eyes and your know how, which would be better?

4 to 6 cups per day? or

2 cups per day?

mrose_s

BusterLove
depends how much food your dog burns off... and just how much they eat. buster is hugley active. he eats small amounts. but very regularily. harry eats huge amounts of food and walks about 10-12kms a day. he eats in 1 or 2 big serves a day

Mordy

Quigleyfied
In your eyes and your know how, which would be better?

4 to 6 cups per day? or

2 cups per day?
Depends on the caloric density of the food and the puppy's requirements.

If you have a food that contains 300 kcal per cup, the daily feeding amount is going to be different from one that contains 500 kcal per cup.

C

cindr

Depends on the caloric density of the food and the puppy's requirements.

If you have a food that contains 300 kcal per cup, the daily feeding amount is going to be different from one that contains 500 kcal per cup.
Well the food the women was feeding was canidea; Now the pups are 10 weeks old, and the one pup weight is 6 lbs, and the other is 9 lbs. Had them to the vets and he stated that they were malnutritioned. So no way they were feed 2 cups each maybe 2 cups between the two. So hey any suggestions.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
I'd feed them by the feeding recommendations for their age/weight of whatever food you give and just monitor the weight.

otch1

If the poodle owner had the vet tell her that her puppies were actually malnourished, I'm very suprised he did not give her feeding guidelines and help her establish a better program. As for you gsd puppies, I do not understand your question. You've been breeding these dogs for years and feed according to age, weight ect. You asked wrether you should feed your puppies 2, 4 or 6 cups per day. Did you mean... what kind of food should you feed in order to be able to feed less without compremising weight? Your puppies are 12 weeks old, so this does depend on what you're feeding.

Members online