carsick puppy!

anmalg14

Because I go to college and travel for the equestrian team, my aussie puppy will be going on numerous car trips (probably about 1 a week each for 1 and a half hours). The first 3 trips he went on, he did great- he cried a little but he never vomited. The last three of four trips I have taken him on have all ended with him vomiting. He doesn't cry and sleeps for the first hour or so then just lays quietly in his crate and ends up vomiting 15 minutes later or so right near the end of the trip. I dont give him any food right before his trips but I'm wondering if there are any other alternatives. I know that the vet can prescribe a sedative for traveling but I hate to ace him once a week just for a car ride. Any ideas?

~katie

Only thing i can think of is when he does wake up after the 1st hour, maybe stop for 5 minutes and let him go potty?
This may help him relax more for the last 15 minutes of the journey.

KellyB

I would suggest trying Dramamine, you can find the dosages for dogs on the internet . . . try that for a couple of trips and then wean the puppy off of it for trips.

When we first got our puppy she got car sick and threw up, even if we stopped for her half way through the 3 hour drive to visit our family. I still think you need to stop and allow the puppy to get out and go potty and stretch, but the Dramamine will help clam your puppy down until he has the mindset that car trips are fun. Most car sickness is a nervous reaction, NOT motion sickness like a lot of people think.

My dog is 11 pounds and we were giving her about 1/2 of a tablet. We did that for the first 2-3 trips and now she is fine without it. I understand why you might be reluctant to give a sedative, but it really can help.

anmalg14

thanks for the help, I think i will try the walking after him about an hour and then the dramamine too if he still continues to have trouble.

Members online

No members online now.